PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Lights

sambonz
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Hello every one!

Here is a tip I haven't seen mentioned on this site yet.

Ever get stuck at a traffic light because your GZ won't trip the light? Try a neodymium magnet on the bottom of your frame. It will send a strong enough signal to the lights sensing loop to trigger the light. It is an easy search on the web and most magnet manufacturers have them, and you don't need a very big one.

If this subject has already been discussed please disregard this message.

Ride safe

Sambonz

Sarris
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the site brother.

That issue has been discuused. Here is the link http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=893

bigfour
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
You don't need to buy one. If you have an old computer, you can take apart the hard drive, as the disk in there is a very strong magnet. Mounting it just under the engine can also help restrain metal particles in the engine to the oil pan.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
you can take apart the hard drive, as the disk in there is a very strong magnet.

Ahem......were DID you get that idea ??
It is just plain WRONG. :cry:

The disk platters are usually aluminum and the iron magnetic coating is VERY thin.
Any residual permanent magnetism in the disk plates would be VERY weak.
The motor that makes it spin has a stronger magnet.

Now, if you have any old LARGE speakers.......they do have big, strong magnets.

bigfour
07-10-2008, 02:52 PM
You're right, I didn't mean the disk itself, but I belive that there's 1 or 2 strong magnets near the read/write head. At least they were strong... I don't know how compact HD designs have gotten.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I belive that there's 1 or 2 strong magnets near the read/write head. At least they were strong... I don't know how compact HD designs have gotten.

Things haven't changed much in the past 20 years or so in that respect. The R/W heads and erase magnet (not usually even present anymore) are somewhat smaller than a pencil eraser. Insignificant in the context of this discussion.