PDA

View Full Version : Seat Modification

rusty rider
07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I recently tried softening my seat. I removed the vinyl from my seat and added a foam cushion to the center of the seat. I then added cotton around the cushion to build up both sides. This has helped a lot, but after about a 100 miles my tail bone still hurts. I've looked at the high priced gel cushions, and the air cushions and I can't believe the prices. So for now I'm easy to spot out on the highway, I'm the guy that keeps scooting around on his seat like I've got ants in my pants and a huge grimace that might pass for a grin O_o

If anyone has some [u]inexpensive solutions I would appreciate your in-put. :cool:

Sarris
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I've looked into all kinds of replacements (none available) and explored everything from gell pads to air cushions. There really just isn't anything available that will make the miserable GZ seat more compliant short of re-upholstery w/ new high grade shaped foam. It's just a cheap shitty seat.
:tdown:

I'm going to have mine custom re-upholstered w/ high grade memory foam that reshapes the butt bowl and moves me farther back and accomodates my 295 lb. weight. It's between $200 to $250, but I just can't stand it any more.

I was hoping that the VZ800 Marauder seat would fit, to no avail. Close, but no cigar.

I love my GZ, but I truly hate the seat.

:)

rayzuki
07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I was bidding an a VZ800 seat but was out bid at the last minute. Why does it not fit? How close is it?

music man
07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I think sarris said that from the latch post to the little hook at the front it is longer then ours but if you look here you can find out for sure. It sure did look like it would fit though, sucks bad that it doesn't.

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=886

Sarris
07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
The seats are virtually identical with the exception of the tongue to latch post dimension. It's 13.25" on the GZ seat and 15.25" on the VZ seat. I had a guy on E-bay measure the distance and he gave me a 13.25" (wrong) dimension, so I ordered an aftermarket seat ($350) and it did not fit. It also could not be modified as you would have to shorten the pan. Brother, Jonathan180iq and I really thought we had a match.
:oops:

Sucks, don't it.
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

primal
07-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Are the physical dimensions of the VZ and GZ seats the same and the only difference the distance between the latch and tongue? Or is the entire seat 2" too long?

Any chance you could take a picture of the bottom of the seats for comparisons?

rayzuki
07-14-2008, 12:58 AM
so all I need to do is relocate the rear catch. I will look into that tomorrow. going to start on the signal beepers anyway.

Orpheus
07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I've looked into all kinds of replacements (none available) and explored everything from gell pads to air cushions.

Have you actually tried the different pads? I was thinking about trying to find some sort of seat pad for an exercise bike (one of the "old lady" style seats) and I figured that it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than a motorcycle-specific pad. If you've tried the different types of cushions, though, it might not be worth the search.

Sarris
07-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Primal & Ray;
As I said before, the entire seat pan is 2" too long. It will not fit into the "crotch" between the seat and fender. Second, if you could just "move" the latch post or latch post hardware, it wouldn't latch because the post entry angle would change as you rotate the mount around the fender radius. If you could "move" the mounting tongue back 2", the seat would be 2" or more up the gas tank. The shape of the pan will pretty much precludes moving either. I think if you modify a VZ 800 seat you'd have to cut down the pan & re-upholster anyway, so why not just re-do the GZ seat? Also, I've already returned the aftermarket seat, so I won't be able to post any photos. You can find some on E-bay, as some sellers show a bottom view of the seat.

Orph;
I've tried the Airhawk air cushion. It was OK but left me with the very uncomfortable feeling of not being firmly planted on the seat. I felt like I was sliding forward upon braking, backwards on acceleration, and sliding off the side while cornering. It also raises you up 1" or more dependant on the amount of inflation.

I've also tried a large gel pad. It felt to me like I had crapped my pants and felt even more squishy when cornering and again left me with the uncomfortable feeling of not being firmly planted on the seat.

As I've said I'm a big guy and the "add on" seat stuff just doesn't work for me. I'm gonna get my seat re-done. That don't mean they won't work for you.

:tup:

trykemike
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I included a picture of the gel cushion that I made for my bike in the ride to the trailer under ride reports here it is again

It cost $10 to make from a store bought gel cushion and spring back to shape everytime.

I can ride 2-3 hrs at a stretch with no problems now.
http://www.postimage.org/gx6vori.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx6vori)

patrick_777
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
It felt to me like I had crapped my pants.

One of the funniest sentences I've seen on this board to date.

Sarris
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
It really was meant to be explanatory, but I'm glad you found it humorous.

LOL

:lol:

mr. softie
08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I have modified the seat again and took a 400 mile ride (10 hours in the saddle). While not perfect, the latest mod is an improvement. Will post in a new thread soon w/pics.

rusty rider
08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info mr softie, that looks great, will definately keep this for future mods. :rawk:

Dupo
08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Alot has to do with the shape of the seat as well. The stock seat on my shadow tends to make me feel like its pushing me forward. The back of the seat starts angling upwards towards teh passenger part of the seat too soon and pushes on your ass bone, in my opinion. The GZ seat is no exception.

When i switched over to the home made solo seat (which mind you, is 1" thick compared to stock 4" thick), its shape gets rid of that 'early angle up' of the stock seat. Its more of a half moon shape than a J shape that angles up right into your ass bone. The half moon shape conforms to a person's butt shape and doesn't push into my ass bone.

So because of shape alone, the 1" thick solo seat on my shadow is more comfortable than the 4-5" thick stock seat.

If i still had a GZ, id sure give a go of making a better butt shaped solo seat for it.

primal
08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Has anyone read this thread over at the Suzuki Savage forums?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl ... 15910102/9 (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1215910102/9)

Seems like a fairly easy mod.