PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Arkansas!

Blues
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Hello everybody! I've been reading this forum for a bit now and have gotten a good deal of useful info from it. Thanks to all who post on and maintain this site. I've been the proud owner of an '05 GZ since last winter. I've ridden the bike to work every day but two since I got 'er. My bike is reading just a bit over 10,000 miles now (most of 'em mine). I have a 4x4 truck and a good fuel efficient car to drive, but why drive when you can bike? My ride to work is 32 miles round trip on 2 lane, 4 lane and through town. If I take the long way, I can get a few miles in on the interstate. I've got a few pictures of her and I hope they come out right. I'll be happy to hear any comments you all might have.

When I bought the bike, she was bare bones. My wife and I have added the bags, sissy bar, windshield and a few other goodies. I recently made a set of semi home made LED tail lights. Seems I've been a bit hard to see from the rear, as cars like to ride up on me. The LED's do seem to help with that.

As many of you in here already know, this bike is a hoot to ride. It's so easy handling and quite sporty. While interstate riding is just about at it's upper limit, for around town and out on two lane roads, it keeps up just fine. I go everywhere on it. To the store, friends houses and I even take her out on small handyman runs about town. I work on the railroad at a steel mill here in Blytheville, but on my off days I have a small business taking care of elderly folks' homes. I'll load up my tool bag and supplies and head out. I've even tied a guitar and a small amp to it and gone off to play with my band. Well, enough about my for now, thanks again for this site. Comment on my bike pic's if they work

Happy motoring !
Aaron

http://www.postimage.org/gx2yNaf0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx2yNaf0)

http://www.postimage.org/aV2gDUeJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2gDUeJ)

Magnar Infectus
08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Welcome. Your bike looks good. Is that a gecko on the tank? Promoting your insurance company maybe? ;)
Just out of curiosity, what's clipped to the edge of your windshield?

Sarris
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

:2tup:

alanmcorcoran
08-15-2008, 04:59 PM
...the windshield? Do you wear a full face helmet? (I where a full helmet, but I'm wondering if the windshield makes things more comfortable at speed. (Less buffett-ty) I'm kind of getting used to it and if it doesn't make that much difference with a faceshield already, I'll probably leave mine as is.

Easy Rider
08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
... but I'm wondering if the windshield makes things more comfortable at speed. (Less buffett-ty)

Yes. Very much so.

Somewhere on here is a thread with peoples most favorite modifications.
The windshield usually ranks in the top 3.

Done correctly, it cuts down on the overall wind drag and removes virtually ALL of the drag from your upper body.
You can't really appreciate how important that is until you ride for an hour around 60 mph and find when you get off that your shoulders are frozen in the "gripping the bars" position !! :cry:

It also deflects bottles, rocks, birds, bugs, rain .....etc. that might otherwise leave (at a minimum) a bruise on your body.

Only reasons NOT to have one: You are a purist or a poser (is there a difference?) or you actually like having the wind try to rip things off of your body.....with occasional success.

Blues
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, that is a gecko, but not the creepy little Geico one. My wife and I go to Hawai'i often and usually in the cottage we rent, there are a few geckos running around on the walls. I think they are supposed to be a harbinger of good luck on the islands. As to what that is clipped to my windshield, it's my garage door opener. I guess that' there to avoid confusing me with a real biker (ha).. I'm not sure real bikers have garage door openers. Or garages for that matter. I much prefer to have the windshield on. It keeps the wind pressure off me and just makes for a pleasant ride. Recently, it's been so hot here in the South, I've had it off, but then the bugs got so bad it's back on now. Even with the 'shield I'll wear my full face helmet if it looks like rain or if it's cold. Usually, I'll just wear my half helmet with no visor and it's fine with the windshield. Oh, on the other side of the windshield is my work pass to get through the gate at my job. Keeping it clipped to the glass keeps me from having to stop and find neutral so I can fish around in my pocket for the pass. Now, I just pull up in front of the RFID scanner and the gate goes up.

Thanks for the compliment on my bike, by the way!

Peace
Aaron

patrick_777
08-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Speaking of garage door openers, there's a few places out on the net (SV forums and some CBR forums) with some how-to's on wiring your garage door opener into your headlight switch or horn button. I've considered this actually.

Arkygs250
08-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Welcome from 1 arky to another! This is a great site and a great bike.

Blues
08-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the welcome shout out. Nice to be here. Mayflower looks like a pretty good ways from the Delta where I am. I bet it's pretty riding over there...kinda flat here.