PDA

View Full Version : Way too much oil, spark blown, carb not right

crowbare
08-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I made a big mistake thinking I had an oil leak or that it was just being used up since I could never see the oil mark on the bike. Over the 4 months that I had the bike, I added more oil and it seemed to alleviate the knocking and chugging - about 1 quart per month. This past week, the bike got worse and adding more oil only made worse to the point where it sputtered between 20 & 40 miles per hour and then calmed down at higher speeds. Then it sputtered more and more and then it began stalling. When I would have the engine in idle (at any idle rate), the engine would rev on it's own and go down and up and down without me ever touching the throttle.

Last night I changed the oil - THANK GOD! because I found there was no leak and there was over a gallon of oil in there! I changed the spark plug and put the carb cleaner in a full tank of gas. I was told by a friend who used to repair and build bikes that I should do this and rev the engine to clean out any gunk in the carb. I was also told not to buy BP gasoline any more because it's notorious for gunking up the carbs.

So after that, the bike seemed to be okay. I took what was going to be a short ride of about 6 miles. The bike began to sputter again and have moments where it would race ahead like I had open throttled to go much faster. (First time my bike ever seemed to have any serious pickup!) Then it stalled and died at the next intersection. I had to walk it to the gas station and call to get help. The battery was dead. We jumped the bike and put the idle up so that it would not stall after the 2nd jump. Then it stalled the second I pulled the clutch in to shift into first. Then I jumped it while in first gear with me on the bike and the clutch in. I was able to ride it home but it was scarey with the idle up and breaking at stop lights & signs.

This morning, I found that the new spark plug looks fried.

I'm thinking I probably need a new carb ($$$) and another new spark plug ($).

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Carolyn

Sarris
08-16-2008, 03:47 PM
When you put way too much oil in the crancase, it was sucked up by the carb through the breather tube. I'd be SURE the crankcase has 1-1/2 quarts of oil max. Then I'd buy a couple of new plugs, and replace the fried one. It may fry again if there is still a bunch of oil in the carb. I also would get some strong carb cleaner (Seafoam is good) and add it to the gas. Then I'd try and run it in the garage (vary the throttle) and try to clear the oil in the carb. If it fouls the new plug again replace it. I don't think the carb is ruined, just full of oil.

As far as the battery goes, you may have fried it trying to crank it all those times and it may need to be replaced if it refuses to hold a charge.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:chop:

patrick_777
08-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Also, you should unstop the carb drain tube hanging on the bottom of the bike and drain the float bowl of a lot of the excess oil that has probably filled up in the carb.

Just don't forget to put the plug back into the tube when you get it finally back on the road. Oil and the rear tire never mix well.

Easy Rider
08-16-2008, 06:53 PM
put the carb cleaner in a full tank of gas.

I was also told not to buy BP gasoline any more because it's notorious for gunking up the carbs.

I'm not too sure that the advice you are getting is really much good.
The part about BP gas is bunk.

How much carb cleaner did you put in the tank.....and what kind ??

Even if you got oil in the carb, it won't do it any permanent damage.

What exactly did the plug look like? "Burnt up" could mean several things.

Running for very long with excess oil can sometimes cause really dire things to happen.......like blown seals, trashed bearings or leaking gaskets. BUT those things are painfully obvious, like REALLY loud noises or smoke pouring out the tail pipe or a puddle of oil of the floor. Since you didn't report anything like that, some of your other symptoms may be totally unrelated to the oil thing.

So......let's forget the oil thing for the moment, put in a new plug and see what the symptoms are then.
Oops.....and maybe a new battery if the old one won't hold a charge.

P.S. After reading the other responses again, yes, you should uncap the air box drain to drain it out AND take the air filter out, inspect it for oil saturation and clean out the air box. It probably has oil in it and the air filter might be soaked too......in which case, you need a new one. The bike won't run for crap without one .......or if it is plugged up either.

jonathan180iq
08-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I fill up 80% of the time using BP gasoline. So there ya go.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Drain the carb, run a heavy dose of carb cleaner in the next tank and keep 2 or 3 plugs on hand. Take it on a long ride in an area close to gas stations and people. Get the bike hot enough and burn that crap out of there.

crowbare
08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on BP not being what my friend said it was. I happen to like BP because from what I understand, it is American gasoline and not foreign and I want to support the US. Somewhere in my emails, I have a list of companies that use american over foreign gas that I can post here if peeps are interested. I saw BP and was happy since they are so convenient and I tend to find better rates or at least comparable to the others.

crowbare
08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
:rawk:

You guys rock! The ride went very well. After riding around the little town for a bit and having no symptoms, I rode down the main drag to the next town so I could get up to 50mph and burn some oil. Between the speed limits and the traffic, that's as fast as I could get on that drag.

So tomorrow is ON! I better call them to let them know I'll be there.

More later!

Carolyn