PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Choices

RichInFla
08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
As I just stated in previous post, the wife is looking at helmets now. I'm insisting that she get full face, which she is okay with, but the ones she's found are DOT & ECE approved, but not SNELL approved (What's ECE, never heard of that).

Am I being ridiculous in insisting that the helmet be SNELL approved ?? I learned in MSF that many manufacturers don't like the SNELL requirements because they are tougher to meet, which in my book means the helmet better meet that requirement.

So, do I cave and let her get one that's not SNELL approved, or am I just being overly cautious/paranoid ??

Thanks.

Sarris
08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Rich;

Go here and read this article on the differences. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=1021&Page=1

This will help you make up your mind. As for me, I wear a DOT half police style helmet.

Good luck.

:rawk:

patrick_777
08-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Snell approval isn't a mandatory certification. A lot of manufacturers don't get Snell certified because it's very expensive and time consuming every time they update a helmet (which is often). That's also why a lot of Snell approved helmets are just superficial variations on the exact same model for many years in a row (Icon Domain for example).

I own a Bell Zephyr (Walmart special) and a KBC VR-2. The Bell is a very nice, cheap helmet that isn't Snell certed, but I would trust it just as much as the KBC. The real difference between the two is price and a fluffier inside padding on the KBC. They actually weigh about the same and the Bell is quieter.

I've never heard of ECE certification until you just mentioned it, so it hasn't been a driving factor in anyone I know.

Full face is, however, mandatory in my opinion.

RichInFla
08-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Rich;
Go here and read this article on the differences. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=1021&Page=1
This will help you make up your mind. As for me, I wear a DOT half police style helmet.
Good luck.:rawk:

Thanks...read it...re-read it...so my choice is...hers must also be SNELL approved, sorry if that offends anyone !! Everyone has freedom of choice, which is the really cool thing, which is why my helmet is SNELL approved, and if my wife decides to ride with me, hers will be as well.

FYI, when I dropped of my bike for tires, there was this young, 20-something (very cute BTW), sitting on her crotch rocket next to my GZ250, and my wife remarked, "her bike looks so much bigger than yours, I was a little embarrassed". To which I replied, "yeah, but I have my GZ250 for different reasons, I don't need big and speedy, and she's an idiot for wearing just a tank top. You might be able to recover from "road rash" in your 20's, but it's a lot harder in your 40's, and wouldn't you want me to make sure that if, god forbid, I ever go down, that I had my armor on and it kept me around for our 3-year old son ?" All I heard was..."good point...you're right..."

p/s: I'm always right !!

Easy Rider
08-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks...read it...re-read it...so my choice is...hers must also be SNELL approved, sorry if that offends anyone !!

p/s: I'm always right !!

Doesn't make any difference what ANYBODY else thinks......except your wife.
I suggest that the decision should be (primarily) HERS and not yours.

I married one of those "I'm always right." people and it ain't too much fun.

primal
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I personally don't like the SNELL standards because I don't like 300 G's of force being transferred into my spinal column. From a physics point of view, SNELL helmets are "harder" and transfer more impact energy to the rider (as a result of having to pass a test where impact occurs twice in the same spot). This article explains in more detail, especially the sections labeled "A World of Hurt", "To Snell? Or not to Snell?" and "Can Less be More?": http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html) Their study actually suggests that the softer helmets are safer because they absorb more of the impact force.

If you ask most head-impact scientists or the representatives of the European helmet manufacturers how they like the Snell M2000/M2005 standard, they will generally tell you it's unrealistic, based more on supposition than on science, and forces manufacturers to make helmets that are stiffer than they should be.

The DOT helmets we had were all plastic-shelled, and none cost more than $100. How did they do? They kicked butt. In what must be considered a head-impact Cinderella story, the DOT-only helmets from Z1R delivered less average G force to the headform through all the impacts than any others in the test.
One interesting conclusion they came to was that the larger the head, and therefore the heavier the head, the less difference helmet stiffness makes. Essentially, the smaller/lighter the head, the softer the helmet should be.

But, you're right, we all have freedom of choice (to a certain extent, of course) when choosing a helmet. Personally, I'm confident in my helmet's DOT and ECE (the European helmet standards, BTW) certifications.

5th_bike
08-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, DO read in article (link) in primal's post above.

I read it too, before I bought one, and concluded that DOT is definitely good enough. SNELL approved helmets can be too hard. Also SNELL whacks the helmets twice, and in practice, accidents involve only one whack at the most, if you're out of luck...

In an article comparing the ventilation of different brands, I read that HJC has good ventilation. So I got an HJC CL-MAX, because of my glasses I had to have a modular (flip up front) helmet. It is DOT approved and since it is modular, it doesn't have SNELL approval. No modular helmet gets SNELL approval, obviously. No big deal.

Buy one that fits snug.

RichInFla
08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I ended up getting an HJC when I took the class (love the front vents !!) I guess as long as it fits correctly and is at least "approved", it'll work. Guess I'll have to take her down to our local Cycle Gear shop and have her try some on.

and BTW, the "I'm always right" comment was actually a little humor and sarcasm, I'm never right !!

Thanks for the input everyone, it's possible I'm being a little "over-protective", but every now and then that can be a good thing !!

Now I have to go watch the weather to see if "Fay" is going to hit Sarris or us !!

Sarris
08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
It's probably gonna get us both! We're all gonna die.

Ain't scared!

LOL
Sarris
:lol:

Easy Rider
08-17-2008, 07:42 PM
the "I'm always right" comment was actually a little humor and sarcasm, I'm never right !!

Well ***I*** knew that.....since you are already married; just wasn't sure that you had figured it out yet !! ;)

bigwonton
08-18-2008, 11:21 PM
In an article comparing the ventilation of different brands, I read that HJC has good ventilation. So I got an HJC CL-MAX, because of my glasses I had to have a modular (flip up front) helmet. It is DOT approved and since it is modular, it doesn't have SNELL approval. No modular helmet gets SNELL approval, obviously. No big deal.

I got a CL-MAX for pretty much the same reasons. Commuting with glasses is just too much of a pain without a modular helmet. However, there have been instances where the modular chin piece has broken off (scroll through the pictures in this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347210) - but that's a risk I'm assuming when I commute to work on surface streets.

I also picked up a CL-15 and wear that when I go for extended/dedicated rides or ride on the freeway. DOT/SNELL certified and always seem to be on clearance somewhere for around $70.