PDA

View Full Version : Installing Saddlebags

PJS
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I've put the saddlebag brakets on my bike. I've a couple of questions.

I have factory Suzuki bags for the GZ250.

Do I..
Lace the tongues together with the leather lacing provided and if so is there a best way to lace them?
I've removed the seat and assume they throw over the fender?
Is it common for the one bag to slightly touch the exhaust pipe? Will it hurt?
The bags have looped eyes on the tops and bottoms of the bag. Am I to fasten the bag using these loops to the bag support bar?

I know these may seem like dumb questions but better than a dumb mistake. :cuss:

Thanks

Water Warrior 2
08-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Can't help with your saddle bags but I am sure others will. Asking a "dumb question" will nearly always help to avoid a potential disaster in the making. If you don't know just ask and we all learn from the answer.

Easy Rider
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
1) Lace the tongues together with the leather lacing provided and if so is there a best way to lace them?

2) I've removed the seat and assume they throw over the fender?

3) Is it common for the one bag to slightly touch the exhaust pipe? Will it hurt?

4) The bags have looped eyes on the tops and bottoms of the bag. Am I to fasten the bag using these loops to the bag support bar?

All good questions, actually.

1) Yes and kind of. Whatever method makes the fewest lumps and bumps.
2) Yes, then re-attach the seat. It might be a little difficult to get all the bolts threaded again.
3) NO and YES!! The bags must NOT touch the pipes....but there doesn't need to be too much clearance either. About an inch will do. Position for this before clamping the seat down on the yoke. You may have to re-string the yoke to make it shorter and pull both bags up some. They may move over time so re-check the clearance regularly.
4) Yes but don't get carried away. You only need one attachment to keep them from "flapping" around.

P.S. How about putting your location in your profile ??

music man
08-27-2008, 08:48 PM
[quoteP.S. How about putting your location in your profile ??[/quote]

We seem to be getting alot of this lately don't we.

Later

PJS
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
1) Lace the tongues together with the leather lacing provided and if so is there a best way to lace them?

2) I've removed the seat and assume they throw over the fender?

3) Is it common for the one bag to slightly touch the exhaust pipe? Will it hurt?

4) The bags have looped eyes on the tops and bottoms of the bag. Am I to fasten the bag using these loops to the bag support bar?

All good questions, actually.

1) Yes and kind of. Whatever method makes the fewest lumps and bumps.
2) Yes, then re-attach the seat. It might be a little difficult to get all the bolts threaded again.
3) NO and YES!! The bags must NOT touch the pipes....but there doesn't need to be too much clearance either. About an inch will do. Position for this before clamping the seat down on the yoke. You may have to re-string the yoke to make it shorter and pull both bags up some. They may move over time so re-check the clearance regularly.
4) Yes but don't get carried away. You only need one attachment to keep them from "flapping" around.

P.S. How about putting your location in your profile ??

Thanks for reminding me. I just added it :2tup:

patrick_777
08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Back on topic: I'll get home and take a few pics of the way I have mine installed. If I remember correctly, I lined the holes up and just laced them up like a pair of shoestrings and tied them off. After I got them installed, I think I should have snugged them up one more hole to keep them a little higher on the fender.

The brackets probably should be fed through the loops on the bags, but I didn't see those loops until after I had them installed., so I zip-tied them to the bike instead of taking the brackets off and cursing the Suzuki fender engineers more than I already had.

alanmcorcoran
08-27-2008, 11:14 PM
...that's been discussed elsewhere 100 times... Patrick - can you point me to where I can learn about the "official" saddlebag brackets? If they require anything other than maybe a socket wrench and a screwdriver, I'll probably not bother, but I think I'd like to be able to throw, say a box of tea bags, in something without having to deploy the cargo net.

(I have some mechanical skills. And a few tools. What I lack is patience and desire. And a torque wrench. I DID tighten my own mirrors!)

Graydog
08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
PJS, two words, wiffle balls. If the bags hang Low near the exhaust use some balls (ok make your low hanging balls and bag jokes now) (see below...) . The bag guards for the GZ250 don't "kick out the bags" enough considering where the megaphone (ugly, wimpy) exhaust is.

I have used wiffle balls, tennis balls, rubber balls, etc. on various bikes over the years to force a saddle bag out away from the frame/spokes/exhaust. Just visit Wally World and purchase said wiffle/tennis/rubber balls and cut them half way through. Slip them over the bag guard and it will kick the bags out some giving you an extra .5 or so inches. (hold the jokes, may be young-uns reading).

It works. My GeeZee currently has two balls kicking my River Roads out a little to add inches.

(Maybe I should have posted this in that "other" forum I belong too?) :roll:

patrick_777
08-27-2008, 11:38 PM
...that's been discussed elsewhere 100 times... Patrick - can you point me to where I can learn about the "official" saddlebag brackets? If they require anything other than maybe a socket wrench and a screwdriver, I'll probably not bother, but I think I'd like to be able to throw, say a box of tea bags, in something without having to deploy the cargo net.

(I have some mechanical skills. And a few tools. What I lack is patience and desire. And a torque wrench. I DID tighten my own mirrors!)

The official brackets are expensive and I can't actually condone paying dealer prices for something that isn't going to be seen on the bike. If you can get them, or some universal ones that fit, then you really only need 4 longer bolts (which should come with the brackets), and two wrenches (sockets if desired). As mentioned in this thread (http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=1346), they are a real pain in the ass to get installed. The installation is just like the sissy bar/rear rack.

Jonathan has this compilation thread (http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?p=7584#7584) built where he discusses Luggage, and links to some universal brackets or a few build-your-own-for-$12 threads, including Tonckawa's here on the board. Those require some more physical labor involved (and a TORCH!).

As far as the cargo net is concerned (before the bag install), I usually left mine strapped over the back seat and just shoved stuff underneath it when I wanted to carry anything smallish.

Easy Rider
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
...that's been discussed elsewhere 100 times...

:neener:

alanmcorcoran
08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
...I read the threads. I figure anything that is difficult for you guys to do is impossible for me. I may stick with the net unless I can find a dealer to put them on for me. (Yes, I'm also a mechanical pussy... sigh...)

Easy Rider
08-28-2008, 09:52 AM
...I read the threads. I figure anything that is difficult for you guys to do is impossible for me. I may stick with the net unless I can find a dealer to put them on for me. (Yes, I'm also a mechanical pussy... sigh...)

Except for the tight space, installing the bag supports is really quite simple. Do you have BIG hands?
I have fairly small hands but REALLY wish I had though about raising the back tire OFF the ground to get some extra clearance.

You can actually do a test run of sorts by sticking you hand in above the tire and feeling for the bolts that hold the side chrome strips on. That should give you a good idea of whether or not you will be comfortable removing and replacing them.

PJS
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I have the bags on and they look great. :tup: Guess I was over thinking on how to put the bags on :blush: You guys are right. The worst part was getting up inside with my hands to install the longer bolts.

Easy Rider
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
You guys are right.

The truth is usually in here somewhere.......you just have to be able to pick it out !! :tup: :lol:

patrick_777
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I figure anything that is difficult for you guys to do is impossible for me.

Don't be scared off of a project by our whining. The best thing about this bike is that you can learn stuff and feel a sense of accomplishment without the chance of really screwing something major up.

...just don't go digging around in bowels of the engine though.

alanmcorcoran
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
...I will do the exploration as advised. Thanks for the tips!

patrick_777
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually I have small hands...

You don't, by any chance, work for the carnival?

Moedad
08-28-2008, 06:43 PM
...just don't go digging around in bowels of the engine though.

I try very hard avoid any kind of bowel digging.

patrick_777
08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I try very hard avoid any kind of bowel digging.

I've heard the stories about you Californians...you and your Friday-night-fruit-smoothie high colonics.

alanmcorcoran
08-28-2008, 08:18 PM
You don't, by any chance, work for the carnival?

Actually, I play the piano. Too bad we don't have a place to post a picture of that. (I'm pretty sure my piano can kick your pianos's ass.)

Easy Rider
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I've heard the stories about you Californians...you and your Friday-night-fruit-smoothie high colonics.

There are a few stories about Okie's and sheep too !! :oops: :lol: