PDA

View Full Version : Times are Changin.

music man
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I saw the most eclectic group of two-wheeled machines riding together today. It was a group of four, A Honda Goldwing, A Sport Bike, A Harley, and a 650 Scooter all riding together. If that is not an odd mix of two-wheelers I don't know what is.

Later

alanmcorcoran
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Were they shooting an ad for Benetton?

music man
09-06-2008, 01:57 PM
????????????????

Jer
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Were they shooting an ad for Benetton?

:tongue:

alanmcorcoran
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
????????????????

Another reference that is apparently too obscure. Sorry. my bad.

Go online (Wikipedia will probably do) and check out the (former?) controversial ad campaigns for "United Colors of Benetton." I forgot your location, but if you live in the South, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't run down there.

music man
09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Why wouldn't it surprise you alan, if they didn't air it in the south???

alanmcorcoran
09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Some of the ads were very controversial, featuring AIDS tattoos, multi-racial genitalia, and so on. (most were a lot tamer than that, but a few were designed deliberately to be shocking. Thus my lame attempt at a joke about your odd gaggle of bikers.)

Didn't mean to single out the South per se, but any place that leans towards the conservative (Cincinnatti, etc.) would likely not be good candidates for this kind of campaign. If you recall, the Sinclair Broadcasting Group has occasionally taken it upon themselves to refuse to air TV shows it thought were too controversial (including Nightline, Saving Private Ryan and NYPD Blue.) Some of these billboards were way, way past that.

I should note there's a lot of California that don't go for genitalia in their billboards either.

Okay, way too much time on a lame attempt at a quip. I'd tell you I actually love the South, but I don't really. Don't care for the weather, too much humidity (and, in some states, bugs,) for me.

music man
09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh I am sorry I didn't really mean it like that. I kind of made it sound like I got offended by that. No trust Me I live in Arkansas for one reason I was born and raised here and now I have a son that lives here, So for now I am kind of anchored here. I hate humidity(we have Plenty) I hate all the bugs(we also have plenty of those) If I had my choice I would be somewhere besides Arkansas.

I was just curious as to your particular reason for not being surprised, I am not surprised either, there are a lot of closed-minded, bible thumping backwoods people here (But not all of us are like that). So I was not offended. :bong: :jo: :smoke:

But you have to admit that is an odd collection of bikers is it not???

alanmcorcoran
09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's kind of cool. I'm not really the poster boy for tolerance, but I think it's great when people can hang with people different from themselves. Can't really do it myself all the time, but I admire those that do.

FYI, my brother is a New Jersey transplant in North Carolina and my niece is married to a Friend of Bill in Little Rock. I ain't exactly the Fountain of Southern Culture, but I've spent enough time down there to know that not everyone you meet is going to be a preacher or be runnin' white lightning. I do know you don't disparage High School Football in Texas (more powerful than religion there, and that's sayin' something) and the plural of y'all is "all y'all."

Hell. I've even watched a NASCAR race or two: looks bee-yootiful on my bigscreen, even if it is, dare I say it, a tad.... boring. (Bring on the flames!)

Jer
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Go fast... Turn left....

Repeat.