PDA

View Full Version : high idle

i2kdave
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
After riding around for a few minutes and getting the engine warmed up, my bike idles quite a bit higher than when I first start it up. Is this a problem, or is it normal? It runs just fine, otherwise.

Easy Rider
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
After riding around for a few minutes and getting the engine warmed up, my bike idles quite a bit higher than when I first start it up. Is this a problem, or is it normal? It runs just fine, otherwise.

I think it is "normal". Set the idle when the engine is hot.....and then leave the "choke" on a little, for a bit longer.

The previous owner had removed the plug over my idle jet so I plan to try to help that problem with an adjustment but the first attempt didn't make any difference. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

jonathan180iq
09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Easy is right.
Adjust your idle once the bike is warm with the idle adjustment knob on the lower right side (passenger side) of the carb.

i2kdave
09-09-2008, 10:27 AM
So, I'm assuming I have to get a tachometer before I can accurately adjust the idle?

Dupo
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Na, theres videos on youtube of peoples gz's while idling. You 'could' do it by ear alone that way.

Easy Rider
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
So, I'm assuming I have to get a tachometer before I can accurately adjust the idle?

No. No need to have it set at any given speed.

You can tell when it is too low because it gets a little rough and stutters a bit.....and it is more likely to stall when starting out in 1st. Raise the speed from that point until it smooths out and you will be OK.

An idle speed that is too high tends to make your shifts jerky and takes away all of your engine braking, and there isn't much there to start with. If you get the feeling that the engine is racing when you are stopped, then the idle is probably set too high.

Adjust it NO MORE than 1/4 turn at a time then try it out for a stop or two. You will soon learn the "right" point for you.

alanmcorcoran
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Did he first check to see that the choke wasn't on already/left on? That will cause the same problem. I think this is like, his third day. Took me about that many to figure out I had a choke.

Jer
09-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Took me about that many to figure out I had a choke.

More warm weather advantages.....

i2kdave
09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Did he first check to see that the choke wasn't on already/left on? That will cause the same problem. I think this is like, his third day. Took me about that many to figure out I had a choke.

I checked that, I moved it a little and made sure it went all the way back to the off position.

It may not even be idling too high, I'll have to check some of those videos Dupo mentioned and compare. It just sounds kind of high to me, but I've never owned a motorcycle before. :tongue:

Easy Rider
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Took me about that many to figure out I had a choke.

Mmmmm....ahhhh....Oh hell; no comment !! :haha2:

Easy Rider
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
The previous owner had removed the plug over my idle jet so I plan to try to help that problem with an adjustment but the first attempt didn't make any difference. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Follow-up:

In my case, the big difference in idle speed between cold and hot and the fact that it has started stumbling with under slight choke was NOT normal.

I finally got around to checking the idle mixture adjustment today (the one that is usually covered by a plug) and found it WAY out of adjustment. I'm guessing it was turned out maybe 5 turns; at first, I thought I didn't have the screwdriver in the slot but it finally bottomed. Turned it back about 2 turns and everything is much smoother now....idle wise. It turned really easy; I'm wondering if it might have vibrated itself out of adjustment over time ??? Time will tell, I guess.

patrick_777
09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Red loctite should fix that. :neener:

Easy Rider
09-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Red loctite should fix that. :neener:

It's a JOKE, people. You do NOT want to use Loctite on carb. adjustments.......right ?? :??: :biggrin:

Canuck
09-27-2008, 12:57 PM
My Carb came in from Illinois and had a plug over it to. My Canadian "Marauder" version was without the plug...Kinda silly but how did you guys remove the plug properly? and should it be replaced once removed or... ??

Easy Rider
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
My Carb came in from Illinois and had a plug over it to. My Canadian "Marauder" version was without the plug...Kinda silly but how did you guys remove the plug properly? and should it be replaced once removed or... ??

If it is running OK (at idle), don't mess with it.
If it NEEDS to be removed, you drill a hole in the cover plug with a TINY drill bit and then pry it out. No need to replace.

alantf
11-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Dont forget, the idle speed (with a hot engine) should be 1200 - 1400 rev/min. Have you got a car with a rev. counter? The way I did it first time was to get in my car & rev up to around 1300 rev/min, & listen to the engine sound. I then adjusted the bike until the sound was roughly the same. Then it was just a case of tweaking it whilst riding (stopping to do it of course) until I got the ideal idle.