PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Meltinpix
09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have a GPS on their GZ250,? If so what is it?
Thanks,
Mike

patrick_777
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I am probably going to pick this up during the winter for my bike. It's the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx 2.6 Color.

From Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108256&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-GPS+Navigation-_-Garmin-_-58108256). There are cheaper places out there for this too. You'll have to check Google Shopping for those though.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/58-108-256-02.jpg

mrlmd1
09-22-2008, 06:51 PM
What kind of mounts do you guys use? On the handlebars?

Easy Rider
09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
What kind of mounts do you guys use? On the handlebars?

In my jacket pocket. :roll:

Removes the temptation to get fixated on the little screen while you are moving !! :skull:

patrick_777
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
:plus1:

mrlmd1
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
A GPS to work needs an unobstructed view of the sky so it won't work in a jacket pocket but may take a moment or two after being exposed again to settle in and regain it's position. If you are using a mapping GPS you would have to stop on the side of the road to view it and figure out the screen anyway, which is much safer than trying to read it while riding.
Does anyone use those talking GPS's like for the car dashmounts?, either Garmin, TomTom, or similar. You probably couldn't hear them when riding with the wind noise and helmet on but they have pretty big screens and easy to use controls which could probably be used with gloves on. They would have to be mounted on the bike instead of carried in storage somewhere, and if you were smart. only looked at when you were stopped.

Easy Rider
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
A GPS to work needs an unobstructed view of the sky so it won't work in a jacket pocket but may take a moment or two after being exposed again to settle in and regain it's position.

That depends on what the obstruction is. Mine works just fine inside my house......after it initially gets a lock.......which can be had near any window. The tiny little bit of fabric in a jacket presents no more obstruction than a car windshield. If you have one that doesn't work inside a jacket pocket, you either have a defective GPS or you have a jacket with a lot of metal in the fabric (not likely).

patrick_777
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
mrl, older GPS units used to have to have continuous direct LOS with 3-4 satellite links, but the good ones out now aren't as picky and can hold a signal link for a much longer period even with multiple levels of obstruction. The one I linked is a popular one for motorcyclists (the b&w screen is cheaper) because it can be stowed in even hard saddlebags without losing its tracking, plus there are many different handlebar mounts you can get/make for it. It's water-resistant, easy to use with gloves and easy to configure for visibility at a glance. Be careful of the new ones out MARKETING to motorcycle use. They have fewer options, aren't as rugged and have a higher price just for that label.

mrlmd1
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I stand corrected, thanks.
That looks like a nice unit. Can you load different higher detail local maps into it or does it have enough memory to cover the whole US with all major/secondary roads? And can you zoom in/out on the screen ?

patrick_777
09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
All of that. It has a removable microSD slot which you can use for storage and map data. You can also connect it up to your computer (or just use the card slot) and upload waypoint and route information from Google Maps/Earth or any other mapping and routing apps. Garmin has a crapload of maps available (some are pricey unless you find "alternate" ways of procuring them) which give you terrain mapping, geologic data, travel and wildlife data and all sorts of other neat things to keep you good and "lost".

Dupo
09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
http://jimdriscoll.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/redneck_pics_gps.jpg

Water Warrior 2
09-24-2008, 03:06 AM
http://jimdriscoll.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/redneck_pics_gps.jpg

And if you do get lost you have firewood.

jonathan180iq
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Whynot had one on his GZ. but that was a long time ago. I don't think he's around anymore.

[attachment=0:3scysldo]IMG_0959.jpg[/attachment:3scysldo]

Magnar Infectus
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know why anyone would need a GPS. Knowing where you are is easy. You're always directly above the center of the Earth.

GPS is a nice idea though. I'd probably just toss it in my saddle bags (they're finally here. It only took a month)

jonathan180iq
10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
One things that I see GPSes doing, especially for the modern automobile driver, is that it takes away their need to learn map skills and puts them in very reliant state.
It's another one of those things that should have been written about in the book of Revelation.

"And there will come talking boxes, heeding mankind onto the path of darkness, under the promise of proper direction. General directional skills will be lost and ye shall be navigated away from the path of the lord."

Easy Rider
10-08-2008, 11:11 PM
and ye shall be navigated away from the path of the lord."

Too late. WAY too late. :cry:

BusyWeb
10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi, there.
I also looking for the GPS, actually GPS Data Logger.
Purpose is that I want to log the GPS Data on the digital photos EXIF tags that I am taking.
So that I can create bike ride track and photo mapping.
Searched web, but couldn't find right one (too many .... ha ha ha :??: )
Anyone knows that basic GPS which has functions of mapping with Data Logger capability??
And connect to computer and download GPS Log to computer << this is absolutely required for me.
Thanks in advance...

Gradyonechord
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I use a delorme pn20 for huntin' and fishin' and motorcycling too. The track data in the GPS is a log. I don't have any idea how to download it in tabular form though.
http://www.postimage.org/gxinF1i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxinF1i)

BusyWeb
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I use a delorme pn20 for huntin' and fishin' and motorcycling too. The track data in the GPS is a log. I don't have any idea how to download it in tabular form though.
http://www.postimage.org/gxinF1i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxinF1i)
As I was wonder, I googled and found this.
Manual said that Track data can be set to save into SD card.
This unit comes with SD Card Reader??, so I think that you can get track data from SD card through the SD Card Reader onto computer.

http://site.earthmate.com/images/PN20/m ... _Guide.pdf (http://site.earthmate.com/images/PN20/manuals/DeLorme_PN-20_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf)
http://site.earthmate.com/images/PN20/m ... Manual.pdf (http://site.earthmate.com/images/PN20/manuals/DeLorme_Earthmate_GPS_PN20_Manual.pdf)

I bought one (Garmin, eTrex Legend HCx) a month ago.
My unit has almost same function as yours.
Mine can be connected computer through the USB cable, seems little bit easier than yours.

Orpheus
12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Don't see any reason for the average traveller to have one, although if I took some sort of extended vacation around the US/Canada, I'd probably invest in one.
Interesting point Jonathan, and that's probably why I've got a problem with them.

Badbob
12-11-2008, 07:13 AM
If you ride back roads you are likely to find that they are some what lacking in signs. A GPS could be very useful on these roads. Unlike the Google maps avoid highways feature that like many people thinks a back road is anything that isn't an interstate. My definition of a back road is anything that is two lanes or less and not a US highway although there are some US highways that fit. These are usually state, county, or forest service roads.

Signs get stolen. US29 for miles either side of Deals Gap is missing signs. I can only assume that people are stealing them. Its very irritating to drive 20 miles out of your way because someone took the sign at a major intersection.

On a recent trip I spent the night somewhere I did not intend to be because the state of Tennessee has a noticeable lack of signs. There maybe 5 routes joined together on the same road but there is only one sign except at junctions. Asking directions wasn't helpful. This can make it difficult to find your way. A GPS would have been very useful.

Then there is weather. Its hard to use paper maps in the rain. You have to find some where that you can stop and get out of the rain. If your GPS is water proof it will work where you can't use paper maps.

I think they complement each other. Paper maps give you the big picture with a few details. GPS tells you where you are, which way to go, where you have been, and much more.

alanmcorcoran
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I've posted elsewhere of some of my tribulations with Google Maps, Mapquest and the like. Recently had to do TWO separate mid trip re-routes, by ABPS (Alan's Brain Positioning System) after one major Google road was closed indefinitely due to fires, and another relied on a hiking trail to avoid US15. Although I managed to navigate these two detours mapless and GPS less, they happened during the day and in a part of the country where I am familiar with the major regional topography (mountain ranges and such.) Also added about 35 miles onto an already pretty long 150 mile slog.

I'd a probably been screwed if it was at night or I was in Atlanta. Still, part of me says I might as well get a purse and pantyhose to go with if I ever break down and get one of those things. Old habits (and prejudices) die hard.

Easy Rider
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd a probably been screwed if it was at night or I was in Atlanta. Still, part of me says I might as well get a purse and pantyhose to go with if I ever break down and get one of those things.

Yea sure. Like you aren't a wussy already! :crackup

But seriously.......IN Atlanta isn't too bad; it's NEAR Atlanta and off the Interstates where you can get lost for DAYS. :roll:

I got one recently (about 8 months ago). Actually, I'm on the second one as the first wasn't "good enough". :) For the most part, I think it is just a "toy" for the casual traveler UNTIL you try to navigate your way through a major Metro area. Sure maps are available for places like Atlanta, LA, Chicago, DFW, New York, etc. but they tend to be difficult to handle and hard to read without a magnifying glass. In those situations alone, I find that my GPS "payed for itself" after only 3 trips.

They will NOT save you from your own stupidity though. When asking someone in a major metro area for their address, you need to get the WHOLE address. You cannot assume that since they did not volunteer "Podunk Suburb" that they are in the city of Atlanta. Sometimes streets with exactly the same name are 30 miles apart. :cry: Guess how I know that!

Note: It especially pisses you off when you take a 60 mile detour to get to a place you were only 5 miles away from to start with!! :skull:

Second note: None of that was on the bike. I did not take the GPS with me on my bike trip and was sorry when I went exploring north of Atlanta and had to stop and buy a map to get back home!!! Next time I will take it but don't intend to have it ON unless needed. Too much of a distraction.

Badbob
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
There are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of "Peachtree" in their name.

alanmcorcoran
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
For the obvious sophomoric reasons, I always crack up to myself when people refer to "Buckhead", especially since it is sort of the snootier section, more so because it got it's name because a guy hit a deer and felt obligated to display its head (classy!) and, prior to that it was known as "Irbyville."

FYI, where Peachtree Street turns into Peachtree Road is the generally accepted Buckhead border.

-Alan
Bouchebag, CA

Badbob
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
where Peachtree Street turns into Peachtree Road is the generally accepted Buckhead border.

-Alan
Bouchebag, CA

I know right where this good enough to get there with out a map or a GPS.

Easy Rider
12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
There are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of "Peachtree" in their name.

For me,at least, THAT isn't the problem. You only have to be there about 10 seconds to realize that and pay REAL close attention when trying to find anything with Peach in the name.

I have no excuse for my 60 mile detour......other than stupidity!! :roll:

Ottawa
04-21-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a Garmin 76CSX for my bike (it's waterproof and very rugged) mounted in the middle of the bars. These new Garmins do work inside your jacket as they have an upgraded receiver in them. I also have a Nuvi 760 in the Jeep and I can say that they are extremely useful. In Ontario, with your beginners bike permit (M1) we're not allowed on the highway until we get our intermediate permit (M2) so having the GPS figure out how to get somewhere without hitting a highway is extremely useful to the new rider who wants to go on a long ride without getting caught on a highway. Personally, I will always only buy a Garmin. They're easy to use, have tons of maps and all the accessories you'll need for car or bike. But like someone else pointed out, stay way from the urge to play with it while riding. Program it before your trip and just follow it with quick glances and nothing else. If you really have to, pull over and do what you need to do.

alantf
04-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Its hard to use paper maps in the rain.

I put my town maps through my laminator, then blutack them to the tank. That way, when I stop at a junction, I can glance down & check where I am.

Gary
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I put a Garmin (the cheapest auto) on my bike using the included windshield/ dashboard suction cup mount to stick to my bikes windshield. I put a safety piece of twine around the bracket in case it came loose, which it did eventually. Save my GPS. The near part was that I took a car cigg. lighter plug in, broke it apart, attached a minuture ubs plau to the koutput side, coated the circut board against water, and found an unused hot lead inside the head light and wired it in. The ubs comes out the hole in the back of the headlight, and can be used to keep the GPS charged, and neatly, my cell phone also. The GPS is not waterproof of course.

blaine
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi.Nice idea.Welcome to the forum.
http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/signs-and-flags/37.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)

http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/signs-and-flags/23.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)

Water Warrior 2
07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Go to TheMountGuys for some handy dandy GPS mounts. Be sure to get something that fits a 7/8th inch handlebar if you order.

dentheman
07-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Beware, you might not be able to easily read the screen of a GPS on bright or even overcast days unless you shade it or order a motorcycle specific GPS at a terribly high price (because of the brighter screen and glove usable touch screen). You can search >electronics >car electronics & GPS >motorcycle GPS, on Amazon.com to see what I mean about the prices. (The cheaper ones in that search are not motorcycle specific.)

I have a Garmin Vista HCx that I used to mount on my bicycle handlebar and soon realized I often could not read the screen even if it was adjusted bright, and sunglasses made it even worse. Now I just check it when I stop riding to see where I have to go. Also, my daughter has an automotive GPS (that talks) that is very easy to see in her car, but once outside the screen is hard to read in daylight.

My Vista HCx will easily lock onto satellites while in my pocket and in the house. It has 12 channels and a SiRF chip which gives it the ability to lock on to 12 satellites when there are that many above the horizon. Older designs do not have the same capability to stay locked on when there are obstacles in the way of the signal.

Just passing on my experience with GPS, but I would recommend you check to see if the screen is readable outside with sunglasses before purchasing, if reading the screen while riding is important to you. (It's like trying to read a cell phone screen in sunlight.)

Easy Rider
07-27-2010, 09:36 AM
.... if reading the screen while riding is important to you.

Good point.

My opinion is: If you are concerned about riding SAFELY, you will not put things on your bars that tempt you to take your eyes off the road......or even worse, fiddle with the buttons.

I seldom look at the screen on mine in the car; the voice prompts are more than adequate 95% of the time. If I don't have a "navigator" in the other seat and the voice directions don't sound quite right, I either follow them anyway or stop to check it out.

I think screwing with a GPS's buttons is almost as dangerous as texting while driving.

dentheman
07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
.... if reading the screen while riding is important to you.

Good point.

My opinion is: If you are concerned about riding SAFELY, you will not put things on your bars that tempt you to take your eyes off the road......or even worse, fiddle with the buttons.

I seldom look at the screen on mine in the car; the voice prompts are more than adequate 95% of the time. If I don't have a "navigator" in the other seat and the voice directions don't sound quite right, I either follow them anyway or stop to check it out.

I think screwing with a GPS's buttons is almost as dangerous as texting while driving.
I agree completely. But most people with a new GPS think they have to watch the screen. Even hikers using their first GPS will carry it around so they can look at it every few seconds. They soon learn to turn the thing on, stick it in a pocket, and leave it alone until the occasional need to consult the map. I can't think of any occasion where I have had to screw with the settings of an automobile GPS once I was underway. If an auto Gps (talking) on a motorcycle is connected to helmet speakers, there should be no need to see the screen (wired or bluetooth like). Some of the GPS's mentioned in this thread are 'visual only', which really aren't well suited to motor vehicles, in my opinion.

GZ Jess
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I use a Garmin Nuvi in my van and have recently discovered that the windshield suction works perfectly on the tank. I only paid about $120 for it and am very happy. Mounted higher (like on the bars) would be a little easier to look at but I always kind of memorize my route before so I just glance for reassurance. I do like to have it when I'm just wondering on the back roads because I can always tell it to take me home and it does LOL. The only issue I ran into was that the battery will run out after 7-8 hrs of use and I don't have anyway to charge it yet. I worry that the GZ battery (mine at least) would have problem charging it and staying charged itself.

Jessica

Easy Rider
07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
I worry that the GZ battery (mine at least) would have problem charging it and staying charged itself.

Should NOT be a problem.
The GPS would draw less than one of your "marker" lights.
Is there some reason that you think yours would be different than the "average" GZ in that respect ??

Water Warrior 2
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
The GZ is more than adequate to power a GPS system.

GZ Jess
07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Well I haven't had any problem lately, but when I first got my bike I let it sit with the headlights on for a 1/2 hr or so and then it wouldn't start. But like I said, I haven't had a problem since.

Jessica

BillInGA
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 and used the suction cup to mount it to the windshield. I zip-tied the power cable to the handlebars as a safety tether. It is visible in sunlight and the touchscreen responds well to gloved inputs. I don't have power for it on the GZ250, so it runs on internal battery - enough for about 3 hours.

I added a 12-volt accessory outlet to the Vulcan for the long-distance trip and that worked pretty well. However, the Nuvi 760 is not waterproof. So, for inclement weather I have to stow it away under a rain cover somewhere as well as cover the 12-volt outlet.

Understanding how the GPS works and knowing what information you want from it go a long way to reducing the level of distraction / workload. After programming my route (while stopped) I typically glance down to see how far away I am from my next turn. On a few occaissions I had to interact with the GPS enroute when I experienced worse than expected fuel mileage and had to look for fuel. Five touches got me headed to the nearest gas station with minimal workload.