PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

jljowers
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I am the proud owner of a 2002 GZ250 w/ 7500 miles. Recently, my bike has had problems starting. I turn the key, the engine attempts to start, but does not fire. I checked the oil and it was virtually empty. I have not noticed a leak at all. In fact, the bike is parked in the same place at home and at work. I have not noticed any type of leakage in my garage. Needless to say, I did an oil change and replaced the filter. Still nothing. I have not changed the spark plug yet, but I will tomorrow. Any thoughts on what I should do next? I ride this bike everyday; 30 miles round-trip Monday-Saturday. I have noticed a "gas" smell since the bike has not cranked. I simply do not know what to do next. Any suggestions that you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

patrick_777
10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
A few little things:
How are you going about checking the oil?
Have you checked to see what your fuel petcock is set to?
Have you checked the tightness of fuel and vacuum lines?
Do you have an inline fuel filter?

jonathan180iq
10-17-2008, 12:59 AM
IS the starter turning over but the bike just won't start? If that's the case, and given your smelling of gas, I'd say you're flooded.

Hold the starter down for a good 15-20 seconds. Turn the key off. Get off the bike. Do 5 jumping jacks and then try to start it again.

Also, take out your air filter and give it a good shaking off.

That'll probably do it.

jljowers
10-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try and repost.

jljowers
10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I took the air filter out and blew it off. It was practically clean. I changed the spark plug. I made sure that my battery was fully charged. And still, I press the ignition and the engine just turns over. Any thoughts? THanks for being patient with newbies.

Badbob
10-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Do you have a spark? No spark, no start.

If the starter is spinning all of the interlock switches are working.

mr. softie
10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Really check that the vacuum hose to the petcock is connected at both ends and is in good shape as Patrick_77 said. I had to cut a bit off both ends of mine to get a tight fit. No fuel will pass if not enough/no vacuum is present at petcock. The fuel line can also be bad-swollen shut inside. If you have spark and fuel it should start.

Easy Rider
10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
No fuel will pass if not enough/no vacuum is present at petcock.

Unless it is set to PRIme, which defeats the vacuum shut-off feature. :)

mr. softie
10-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Easy, you are absolutely correct sir! :plus1: