PDA

View Full Version : Best Synthetic Oil for the GZ

Canuck
11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey everyone...

Just curious about everyone top choice in the Synthetic oil Dept..

I bought Bardahl 100% Synthetic With "esters"

Ive used the regular bardahl stuff with "esters".....had no problems...

And with the winter soon approaching if figured I would treat the bike and get longer life out of this oil change.

10w40 was the grade

alanmcorcoran
11-20-2008, 12:25 PM
No personal experience but I will be trying the Shell Rotella I've seen posted by Primal.

Easy Rider
11-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Just curious about everyone top choice in the Synthetic oil Dept..

I bought Bardahl 100% Synthetic With "esters"

Search is your friend. Try using "synthetic" as a search word.

I use Mobil 1, V-twin Motorcycle oil. Formulated, supposedly, for air cooled bikes. I have also used the other Mobil 1 bike oil and can't really tell much difference. In the states, both are available at Auto Zone.

Be careful of those "esters". Look for the round "seal" with the ratings.......and the rest of the bottle too. If you find "energy conserving" anywhere on the label, do NOT use it as it has "friction modifiers" in it that may damage a wet clutch.

In reality, ANY oil that is close to the recommended viscosity and does NOT have "friction modifiers" and meets the minimum "grade" specified in the manual will be JUST FINE.

Canuck
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I must correct myself on the type of Synthetic i need reference too..

Its Motul 100 % synthetic with "esters"

anyone?

patrick_777
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
RUN from it.

The new performance ACEA A5/B5 requests fuel economy and low emission performance for
powerful engines : MOTUL 8100 Eco-nergy 5W-30 has synthetic base stocks and specific friction
modifier molecules that provide an outstanding oil film resistance, reducing friction in the engine,
maintaining the oil pressure, and generally decreasing the operating temperature.

From the specs in PDF format (http://www.motorspot.com/8100_Eco-nergy_5W-30_8123_(GB).PDF)

In fact, after just a little searching, I doubt I'd trust anything made from Motul to be free of friction modifiers and additives.

Do yourself and your bike a favor and get the Rotella.

Water Warrior 2
11-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Get the Rotella Syn. I would love to try it but this little town doesn't seen to have it. So we are stuck with the best IMHO. Amsoil M/C specific 10/40 in both bikes. Canadian Tire is just across the highway and stocks it.