PDA

View Full Version : Carb Replacement : BSR32SS to TM30

b4192lr
11-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi guys..

did anyone here had an experience aboutn changing the original carb to aftermarket carb ?

Which carb do you recommended..mikuni or keihin ?

on weekend. i've plan to install this TM30...is it suitable as replacement to the BSR32SS ?

Mikuni TM30
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/10/28/bikepics-1464384-800.jpg

Easy Rider
11-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Don't know. Please let us know how it goes. My bet is that it doesn't.......go that is. :)

I have considered ordering a "stock" european carb to get the jet and needle changes without having to take it all apart...........but suspect that would be more $$$ than I'm willing to shell out.

I've decided to be happy with it "as is". :biggrin:

b4192lr
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Don't know. Please let us know how it goes. My bet is that it doesn't.......go that is. :)

I have considered ordering a "stock" european carb to get the jet and needle changes without having to take it all apart...........but suspect that would be more $$$ than I'm willing to shell out.

I've decided to be happy with it "as is". :biggrin:

Plenty of carb "upgrades" around my area were using Keihin PE28 or Mikuni VM26/VM28...with good mileage as a result

yes...this TM was 2stroke carb not the 4stroke version...

it's a long-shot...but heyy...why not :2tup:

alantf
11-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Question, regarding "stock" European carb!

My bike is European spec (Spanish) The handbook says that the carb is a MIKUNI BSR32. Is this different to the carbs on American bikes? If it is, then the posts about carb mods would probably not apply to my bike. Could it mean that mine is faster/slower, better/worse top speed etc.?

Easy Rider
11-28-2008, 04:17 PM

My bike is European spec (Spanish) The handbook says that the carb is a MIKUNI BSR32. Is this different to the carbs on American bikes? If it is, then the posts about carb mods would probably not apply to my bike. Could it mean that mine is faster/slower, better/worse top speed etc.?

In general, it means that it runs a tiny bit richer.....which should mean slightly higher top speed and maybe a little less gas mileage. That's pretty much where the mods. listed here take you.
HOWEVER...
You need a shop manual to tell the difference. I think (for some year models, at least) the Spanish version is different from the rest of Europe OR the North American version.

b4192lr
11-29-2008, 01:20 PM

MIKUNI BSR is a vacuum carb so it's little bit less acceleration compare to flat-slide carb like this MIKUNI TM.

So if you're using this TM carb and you can maintain your revs, you can get both fast-acceleration & good mileage and also once a while, if you're tempted you can get better top-speed on TM carb.

b4192lr
11-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Does the TM carb have an accelerator pump ?

MHF

TM 4stroke version...yes

if mileage is your concern...you can choose TM28 with stock PJ/MJ = 25/115
and prolly you should modding the intake manifold to match the size of stock carb.

b4192lr
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I found a VM418/TM28 on eBay. Is that the same thing ?

check this link http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/tm28-1.html

that's TM28 4stroke version...Is it the same ?

b4192lr
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Use on my bike at the moment, TM30 with PJ/MJ : 22.5/150 tho i wanna try 25/145 (jetting ready)
but i'll stick with 22.5/150 and see how the mileage goes
surely like brand new bike...like hell let loose...lil bit wise with throttle right now ;)

you better try TM32 or TMX33...much easier to install coz it's the same or much closer to the original carb venturi size

deadman13
12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Not sure if this matters much, but it is "odd". When I bought my bike, I got a used carb off ebay. Yesterday I decided to drill the plug out to get to the pilot screw, ended up there was no plug and no signs of ever being one. When Iodered it, it came off a wrecked bike, and even has the junkyard gz250 chalk on the top. Anyone know if they made these w/o the brass plug at all? And of the 2 carbs I have, neither have the extra circlip groves. Meh.

alanmcorcoran
12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Deadman,

I think I recall seeing a post on here indicating that carbs made for bikes shipped overseas (to us) (or maybe it was Canada) (perhaps with the "Marauder" moniker), did not have the plug?

Patrick, Is this the first use of "meh" on the site?

deadman13
12-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Ha. Yeah I saw that the lucky easterners get the no plug treatment, but I got this from right here in the states. Now as to where he got it from, who knows, but it was supposed to have been off a factory bike that got nice and smushed.

patrick_777
12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Patrick, Is this the first use of "meh" on the site?

I doubt it.

Easy Rider
12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Is this the first use of "meh" on the site?

OK, I'm old and slow and a hick from the midwest......mind filling me in on the MEH thing ??

Be gentle, please. I offend easily! :shocked: :crackup

deadman13
12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Meh= *sigh*, kinda. If it had a definition, its be "oh well" "whatever" etc...a sign of resignation perhaps. But I did do a site search (I have no life) and at the time there was 7 uses, me being the more frequent user of it, lol

Blackbird
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
So ... has anyone tried to switch over to a TM carb? Like a TM33 or 32, 28?

ruxpin76
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
A carby has a relatively straight-forward job -- "sense" the pressure differential coming through it as a result of the variable airspeed flowing through (venturi effect) and thus deliver the appropriate amount of gas in response to the given pressure. I would presume that any carb close in size should work, and it's possible that a smaller carb might actually work better as the faster airflow through it could "crispen" the throttle response. Just a thought. I found this thread via a search because I wondered if anyone had tried a different carby. I'm thinking a kart carb might work well, assuming a manifold could be fasioned. As kart carbys are typically bolted on vs. boot, a suitable manifold would have to be found. I'd try a karting slide carb -- they're flat-slides, not barrel slides like the mikuni, and take up less space. I'll post a pic if I get a chance...

blaine
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I am in eastern canada.I had to drill out plug to get to mixture screw.