PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fuel Filters

Canuck
11-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey all,

I was reading the post about inline fuel filters...

My question is if it is not necessary to have one... how would you know about the buildup of bigger particles collecting on the tank/petcock filters that are supposed to do the job of an inline.

I can understand putting a filter on the bike a second measure... but you just have to replace that...is there a way to clean the tank or remove the petcock to givee it a fresh start??

If that makes sense.. hah
Thanks

Easy Rider
11-28-2008, 04:11 PM
... how would you know about the buildup of bigger particles collecting on the tank/petcock filters that are supposed to do the job of an inline.

Without an inline filter, which is actually a FILTER instead of a screen, you know that bigger particles are becoming numerous IN the tank when:

1) The big particles break up into smaller particles which go through the screen and clog the carb.
OR
2) The large particles that usually slosh around and don't stay attached to the screen, become SO numerous that they plug the screen completely.

Neither of those things is good.

With an external filter, it should prevent #1 altogether and you should notice IT needing a replacement more often so you can clean out the tank before it gets so bad that the inside screens get plugged up.

The basic tank cleaning is to remove the petcock assy., clean the screens and flush out the tank. After that, it depends on what and how bad the problem IS.

I have a nice inline filter........that is still on my workbench! :cry: :blush:

Badbob
12-09-2008, 05:34 AM
If you have a clear inline filter you can tell at a glance if you have gas.

My filters are still on my work bench too. :(

patrick_777
12-09-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a nice inline filter........that is still on my workbench!

My filters are still on my work bench too. :(

DITTO!

jonathan180iq
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
These filters cost all of $4 and help keep unwanted debris out of your carb.
They aren't necessary. But they can potentially save you a lot of headache somewhere down the road.

Buyer: "Hey. I'd like some Peace-of-Mind."

Seller: "That'll be $4.28."