PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally did it

mrlmd1
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Because today is a little cold and dank I figured I'd do a little neglected maintenance and get down and dirty on the ground for a few minutes.
My rear brake (foot brake) would not activate the brake light and I've been meaning to fix this for months. I just happened to check it for the heck of it one day, I had no idea it wasn't working.
It's a simple matter to adjust the switch position and also had to adjust the aft end of the pull cable position to tighten up the loose cable going to the switch, but now the light goes on with a light tap of the pedal as it should. Very helpful to indicate to a following car (flash your brake light) you are about to slow down before you actually do, so they don't go up your butt if they're too close. And of course the manual doesn't help much, just look at it and you can figure it out in a second or two.
Check both of your brake controls and make sure the light goes on when you first apply them. :)

Water Warrior 2
02-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Shame on you. It took you that long to correct a life threatening fault on your bike. Call me a safety nut but I check the lights every ride and would rather walk than have a non functioning brake light. You are already a small target without giving cagers a better shot at you by being less visible.

mrlmd1
02-02-2009, 08:44 AM
You're right, shame on me for taking so long to fix this but it was not a life threatening fault. I DID have a brake light, it just didn't go on with the rear brake pedal. I could lightly squeeze the front brake to flash it or activate it. If I had NO brake light , I would have fixed it as soon as I found out.

Water Warrior 2
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
You're right, shame on me for taking so long to fix this but it was not a life threatening fault. I DID have a brake light, it just didn't go on with the rear brake pedal. I could lightly squeeze the front brake to flash it or activate it. If I had NO brake light , I would have fixed it as soon as I found out.
So I get to pick on you now. What would you have done if the front brake switch decided to go south while riding ? In all honesty your excuse is a poor one. For your own safety please make sure everything works every ride.

mrlmd1
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
OK, OK, pick on me if you want. What if the brake LIGHT went out, and not the switch, while you were riding? How would anyone even know the brake light was out when they were riding along? What if this happened and that? Not 'till you went out again if you checked it each time.
If you go out for a ride, or to the store, do you check your brake light or signals or anything else when you get back on 5 or 10 min later before riding home again? Brake fluid, tire pressure, chain tension, the list goes on and on. Do you check these every time you get on and ride? I do check basics each time, as one should, but I don't think everyone checks everything there is to check, some of which are safety concerns but are not very likely to change every day.
I admit I knew about the rear brake pedal not activating the brake light, but since I was aware of this, to me this was not much of a safety problem compared to the issue of full face vs. 3/4 vs. no helmet at all. But I should have fixed it earlier, especially because I was aware of it. Procrastination is not good. So pick on me if you want, for procrastinating, not for being unsafe.

alanmcorcoran
02-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Man, I hope you guys aren't married!

...and especially not to each other.

Water Warrior 2
02-03-2009, 04:25 AM
OK, OK, pick on me if you want. What if the brake LIGHT went out, and not the switch, while you were riding? How would anyone even know the brake light was out when they were riding along? What if this happened and that? Not 'till you went out again if you checked it each time.
If you go out for a ride, or to the store, do you check your brake light or signals or anything else when you get back on 5 or 10 min later before riding home again? Brake fluid, tire pressure, chain tension, the list goes on and on. Do you check these every time you get on and ride? I do check basics each time, as one should, but I don't think everyone checks everything there is to check, some of which are safety concerns but are not very likely to change every day.
I admit I knew about the rear brake pedal not activating the brake light, but since I was aware of this, to me this was not much of a safety problem compared to the issue of full face vs. 3/4 vs. no helmet at all. But I should have fixed it earlier, especially because I was aware of it. Procrastination is not good. So pick on me if you want, for procrastinating, not for being unsafe.
Procrastination it is. What else have been meaning to do ? LOL :whistle:

Water Warrior 2
02-03-2009, 04:28 AM

No Alan, not married. Lynda and I are happy cohabitating.

JWR
02-03-2009, 08:01 AM
If my bike cranks I am good to go. :crash:

mrlmd1
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Never again.
And AC - we were just testing you to see if you read this other stuff too. :neener: :poke2: :2tup: