PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust?

BigIron
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Could the exhaust off a Johnny Pag motorcycle be adapted to the GZ?
http://www.johnnypag.com/motorcycles/sp ... /index.php (http://www.johnnypag.com/motorcycles/spyder300/index.php)

Or any other parts for that matter. I like the handlebars too.

mr. softie
02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Possible but I doubt it on the exhaust-different engine, why not just buy some aftermarket bars? Are the JohnnyPag's made in California do you know?

patrick_777
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Not without serious modification by an experienced fabricator. The manifolds certainly wouldn't match up if you're talking about the entire system, and you might as well just buy a slip-on or other exhaust solution. It just wouldn't be cost-effective unless you had a line on a customizer, in which case, why bother with aftermarket anything?

As for the handlebars, the JPags are just drag bars on risers, like a lot of the newer manufacturer-built "choppers". I haven't found the diameter yet, but they look to be 1" bars, which would not fit on the GZ risers, and would more than likely also need retooling to physically fit. Like softie said, you're better off just getting aftermarket 7/8" bars in the measurements you like.

Water Warrior 2
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Another alternative to get the bars you like is to buy a S-40 Suzuki. Same price as the other one and a lot more support from aftermarket and forums.

mr. softie
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I know this is off topic, but I was comparing the specs for the Johnny Pag with a few other bikes and came up with these numbers.

That Johnny Pag 300cc motor is a water cooled 2 cylinder DOHC 4 valve/cylinder with a 10/1 compression ratio and two carbs and puts out the following with premium gas:

Power: 23.8 HP @ 6500 RPM
Torque :18.5 Nm @ 6500 RPM

This compares to the S40 652cc that has a 1 cylinder SOHC, 4 valve 8.5/1 comp.ratio and 1 carb and uses regular gas:

Power: 30.00 HP @ 5400 RPM
Torque: 45.50 Nm @ 3400 RPM

Our little GZ250's Air-cooled 249 cc single cylinder, SOHC, four valves have the following :

Power: 20.1 hp @ 8,000 rpm,
Torque: 18.7 Nm @ 7,000 rpm

So it would appear that the extra 50cc's, an extra cylinder and carb and higher compression of the Jonny Pag nets you almost 4 HP, but a bit less torque as compared to the GZ, albeit at lower rpms. The S40 is a torque monster compared to either one of course. Fascinating... right!

alanmcorcoran
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I am guessing the weather is still not good in PA.

mr. softie
02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Actually not bad today, 40 degrees for a high and sunny at my house. Maybe 50 tomorrow, then turning colder/rainy for the weekend. But I am still unemployed with time to kill and no money to kill it with. :whistle:

alanmcorcoran
02-25-2009, 11:12 PM
I will inquire about your skills in a separate thread...

Sarris
02-26-2009, 07:15 AM
I have a pal that owned the last version of the Johnnie Pag 250cc (single cylinder) chopper. He bought it as a third bike a few years ago. (had to keep up w/ Sarris' GZ, you know)

First, it's really hard to tell the scale of something in a photo without human reference. The JP is actually a smaller framed bike than the GZ. If the GZ is 4/5 full size, the JP is 3/5. I test drove it and found it to handle pretty good, but it felt like less power than the GZ, and boy is that bike small, almost like a mini-bike chopper. I could only manage 57 mph with my 6'-1" 280 lb ass aboard.

My pal had to have 2 frame cracks repaired (one at the streering head, and one at the hardtail just above the axle flange) and sold it after only 9 months with a blown motor. It was really a MC for 120lb 5'6" tall skinny Asian pepole, not 250+ lb 6' tall Americans. Chinese POS, but cheap and cute. My understanding as they are 100% Chinese parts and assembly, with the "final" assembly done in California. They have had very little resale value and are (were) essentially considered throw aways.

The new 300 cc twin looks nicer, bigger, and is more expensive. Hmmmmmm...........

My two cents.

:tdown:

BigIron
02-26-2009, 07:54 AM
I guess I was just interested in opinions on the Johnny Pag. The name hasnt been mentioned here in two years.
Interesting idea about the S40. Would the risers from the S40 bolt up to a GZ?

mr. softie
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I believe the S40 has 1" bars, and of course the GZ has 7/8" bars. I sort of doubt the risers are interchangeable, but don't know for sure. There are plenty of 7/8" aftermarket bars available, and you wouldn't have to change out clutch and front brake and throttle.

I am going to stop by a Johnny Pag dealer near me and look just out of curiosity.