PDA

View Full Version : gear for women

stomper
03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I bought my wife a gz and have had a hard time finding gloves for her.she is 5' tall about 80lbs.all the gloves we have found the fingers are too long.anyone have any suggestions as to who makes a glove that might fit? I would also like some input as to what suggestions helped you when you first learned to ride.she wants me to teach her and so far we are doing ok but i am not an instructer and i learned to ride by doing and it was on dirt.

caroledee1
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I would also like some input as to what suggestions helped you when you first learned to ride.she wants me to teach her and so far we are doing ok but i am not an instructer and i learned to ride by doing and it was on dirt.

The MSF Basic RiderCourse is designed as a 15-hour curriculum that takes place over a few days or consecutive weekends.

S&S POWERSPORTS CLARKSVILLE 47129 CLARK (317) 422-8474

I have not taken it as I have ridden for 30+ years myself. I have heard alot of good things about it though.

Welcome to the forum. Happy riding to you both. :ride:

Easy Rider
03-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I bought my wife a gz and have had a hard time finding gloves for her.she is 5' tall about 80lbs.all the gloves we have found the fingers are too long.

I have a similar problem. At 5'4" and 140 lbs (in my prime.....somewhat MORE now!) with an inseam about 28", I don't have any problem finding shirts to fit but pants are a different matter......and to a certain extent, gloves too.

The trick, I think, is to shop in the kids section. I got some reinforced bicycle gloves that fit real good........at WalMart, I think. Not quite the crash protection of leather but they stretch and the seams don't leave marks and make your hands numb. Since they are textile, they vent good enough to still be used when it is HOT out.

Now I'm trying to find some mesh riding pants. As usual, I have a jacket that fits, no problem but the pants just aren't available in "adult" sizes for a 36 waist and 28 inseam. Gonna look for "stout" juniors, I think. SIGH.

As for the training: Practice, practice, practice.....and the MSF course comes highly recommended. How much time does she have (recently) on a bicycle? Not kidding about that. The best motorcycle training for a rookie is being sure you can handle a bicycle good. Borrow one from the neighbor's kid if you don't have one and practice dead-slow balance and cornering.

Joho
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Geez easy, 5'4"?? Does the GZ "proportionate" ya???

Only joking! I'm sure you were picked on enough when you were my age! :neener:

greenhorn
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
How much time does she have (recently) on a bicycle? Not kidding about that. The best motorcycle training for a rookie is being sure you can handle a bicycle good. Borrow one from the neighbor's kid if you don't have one and practice dead-slow balance and cornering.
Agree with this totally. I am a new rider & all of the biking i have done sure has come in handy.

[quote=stomper]As for the training: Practice, practice, practice.....and the MSF course comes highly recommended. [/quote:194h2t4d]

This course is worth the price. Here it cost $160.... well worth it. Did LOADS for my confidence not to mention all the tips & time to get some practice drills down to do on my own. GO GZ!!!

M

Easy Rider
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Geez easy, 5'4"?? Does the GZ "proportionate" ya???

It fits quite nicely......mostly.
Pulled the bars back a bit and sit up close to the gas tank most of the time.
When you have really short legs, it limits your choice of rides a bit.

OH, and for anybody who is tempted to say "Bigger bikes are no problem; you don't need to flat-foot it".......just save it, OK? I've been there and done that and refuse to ride anything that I don't feel totally in control of. IMHO, a small person NEEDS a small bike.......to be safe and comfortable.

Oops, sorry; maybe I'm preaching to the choir !!! :biggrin:

stomper
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the input i am familar with the msf course a guy i work with went to that one.she does not want to go without basic knowledge and she would have a hard time schedule wise.thanks again and i shall wait for more input

mrlmd1
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
She does not need any basic knowledge to take the course - and sometimes it's harder to unlearn something than to learn it right the first time.
Make time in the schedule, it's usually only for a weekend. That's better than making an unscheduled trip to the ER or the hospital for an extended stay.

willowolf
03-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I took the course and it's tailored to people who have never been on a bike. I had to take it because of the new law in Florida, but I planned on taking it whether I had to or not. It's most certainly worth taking it! As for the gear, I'm a 5'4" lady and I've also had a hard time with gloves. If it's for grip and light hand protection, I'd actually suggest batting gloves. That's what I learned with and still use when it's not cold. They have wonderful venilation and don't lose grip when it rains. Also, they're super cheap and easy to stash if you don't have a saddlebag. I'm looking for some good snowmobile gloves for winter. Snow sport gear is still easier to find than ladies' riding gear.

alantf
03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
With regard to "snow sport gear" I had a great pair of leather ski gloves. Although I've never skid in my life, they were marvelous for wearing in the snow. I should imagine that they were excellent for holding ski poles. The problem was however, that they were totally useless when trying to operate the bike controls. While they were the warmest gloves I've ever had, they were designed to wrap around stationary poles, with insufficient "give" to easily move the fingers to different positions. I'd really suggest that if you see a pair of ski gloves that you like, you try them on the controls before you buy them.

greenhorn
03-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Stomper, do you have a local WOW (Women On Wheels) group nearby? She might be able to get some advice from them. Also here is a blog I frequent once in a great while http://gearchic.blogspot.com/ Don't know how much networking she could do to get some answers regarding the small hands.

I have small hands, but not as small as my nieces!!! A womens small will fit me, but if your GF hands are as small as my nieces, I can see the problem.

Have you though of youth sizes? Motosports - type shops might have what she needs.

Good luck!!!

GH

meangene
05-17-2010, 12:51 AM
[quote:115ocif7]"Now I'm trying to find some mesh riding pants. As usual, I have a jacket that fits, no problem but the pants just aren't available in "adult" sizes for a 36 waist and 28 inseam. Gonna look for "stout" juniors, I think. SIGH."[/quote:115ocif7]

Try FirstGear pants! They come in both longs and SHORTS! I'm around 5-8, 180 w/ 29 inseam and the shorts fit fine!

Water Warrior 2
05-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Also keep in mind that some womens pants are designed so that they can be shortened to fit properly. Whether they are hemmed or folded under with snaps remember you want them to be long while standing so they creep up just right when sitting and riding.

Easy Rider
05-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Try FirstGear pants! They come in both longs and SHORTS! I'm around 5-8, 180 w/ 29 inseam and the shorts fit fine!

Worth a look. Do the knee pads end up in the right place ??
I would have no problem shortening the cuff......but moving the knee protection UP might cost more than the pants. Thanks.

GZ Jess
05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
As for gloves I went with boys motocross gloves for summer and woman's thinsulate leather for cold. As for pants I went with leather chaps because I could easily cut them off to the length I needed and only want specific pants for bad weather. I have an old leather coat that I have been wearing but I do think there is a difference in a riding coat and will be getting one as soon as funds allow. The riding coats have more room in the shoulders and are tighter around wrists to stop the wind. As for the head gear, right now I wear a helmet on my own bike. But on the back of my hubby's bike I have several options that seem to work but my favorite is the bandanna with the elastic sewn in. I even like it under my helmet on sweaty days!

Oh yeah and I am 5'4 with a 27" inseam.

meangene
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Worth a look. Do the knee pads end up in the right place ??
I would have no problem shortening the cuff......but moving the knee protection UP might cost more than the pants. Thanks.

Yes, they do for me anyway...

Water Warrior 2
05-17-2010, 11:40 PM
The knee protection is normally adjustable to 3 different positions(heights) from my experience. Some pants have foam inserts in the hip area also. I do know the hip inserts work. I fell off my stool while tinkering on a bike and landed on the concrete hip first. Doesn't sound like a great story but this old guy didn't even have one little iddy bitty pain or aching joint.
The pants in question were Joe Rocket Atomic Jeans. I was wearing them at the time because of the good pockets and hands will only carry so much.

Water Warrior 2
05-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Just remembered. New Enough has Joe Rocket ladies jackets on clearance/closeout.

diffluere
06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know if there is an actual difference between 'ladies' and 'mens' helmets? I hate all the stupid pink butterfly flower crap they put on women's helmets but I don't know if they're sized differently than a men's helmet. My current helmet (women's XS) works just fine but in the future I might go with a different (not full-face) helmet for summer riding.

GZ Jess
06-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I have a black 1/2 helmet. It was on the same shelf as the pinky ones and the death ones. It is a small. I don't know if it's a woman's or not. I think you would just have to try them on for fit.

Good luck, Jessica

Water Warrior 2
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Helmets do not come in mens and ladies sizes. They just come in a variety of sizes so find one that works for you. Be aware that some helmets come in different shapes for different head shapes. One manufacturer may lean toward a rounder head shape while another may be more inclined to produce a helmet for a narrow head. Always get the helmet that fits the snuggest without being uncomfortably tight. The better the fit the more you will want to wear it.
I am presently on my 3rd HJC helmet and an reasonably satisfied. I did however try on a Shoei Multitech helmet. There was a completely different fit to the Multi that was very surprising. My exact headshape and a size smaller which meant a slightly smaller lighter shell for less neck strain. Can't wait for my present helmet to get a little older and due for retirement.
Oh, also be aware they do not "ALL" follow the same sizing criteria, A large HJC helmet may be some one else's medium or extra large.
Try on all the helmets you can. Some dealers will allow a test ride with a helmet or a return policy if the helmet doesn't work out so well.

Water Warrior 2
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Just a little food for thought for the Ladies who ride. Lynda recently bought a pair of comfy nice fitting jeans. Added some armor in the knees and hips for a bit of protection. The armor is in it's own mesh pocket and fits very well. Might be an idea for the future.