PDA

View Full Version : BIG pothole-Windshield BROKE

Easy Rider
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
CRAP!!
Just got my idle (carb) problem solved and during my final test ride I hit a BIG fricking pothole. It cracked my windshield in TWO places; no sign of any other damage.

Sent a message off to Memphis Shades. If they don't give me some consideration on a replacement, I'll probably look into the Plexistar that you "left coasters" seem to like.

If it ain't one damned thing, it's another. :skull:

patrick_777
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Ever think about steering AWAY from potholes? :redflip:

PS. That sucks. I hope you get some replacement help from the manufacturer.

Easy Rider
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Ever think about steering AWAY from potholes? :redflip:

Yes and no. Unless it is big enough to SWALLOW the whole bike, hitting a pothole dead on seldom causes any serious damage......to bike or rider. If you hit the very edge.....or have the wheel turned.....or are leaned over slightly......then all bets are off.

Given the road I was on, I probably was going a bit too fast for conditions......as the result clearly shows.....but I don't usually try to swerve to avoid potholes or small animals; riding it out usually avoids any "serious" problem.

And it looks like I may be out of luck on any warranty. Dealer I originally got it from (independent) is no longer in business and Memphis Shades doesn't deal directly with customers.

Will take it to my Zuki dealer the next good weather day I have but I doubt they can/will help me either. Looks like a new shield is in the cards. :cry:

California guys.......does that Plexistar 2 have any "lowers" at all? Looking at the pic's from National Cycle, it appears that the drop below the headlight cutout is only a couple of inches.

patrick_777
04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
viewtopic.php?p=17912#p17912 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17912#p17912)

Moedad
04-02-2009, 06:18 PM
[quote="patrick_777":311rtd26]California guys.......does that Plexistar 2 have any "lowers" at all? Looking at the pic's from National Cycle, it appears that the drop below the headlight cutout is only a couple of inches.[/quote:311rtd26]

Not really. They are more of a short extension of the hand guard portions of the shield.

What part of your windshield broke? At a connection point with an arm, I'm assuming.

Easy Rider
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17912#p17912

Thank you. I gave up plodding through the search results for "windshield" before I got there.
Using Plexistar would probably work better !! :roll:

Easy Rider
04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
What part of your windshield broke? At a connection point with an arm, I'm assuming.

Yes. BOTH left side mounting points.
If I end up with the same one again..........which looks very unlikely at this point.....I will "beef up" the rubber grommets. I always thought they were too thin and flimsy.

ALAN.....or others who have not posted pictures of your Plexistar 2......could you, please?
Or post a link to pic's already posted ??
I just can't seem to keep my focus plodding through search results when I am doing a slow boil about a ~ $200 screw up. :skull:

alanmcorcoran
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1887&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=plexistar (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1887&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=plexistar)

Easy Rider
04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1887&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=plexistar

Thank you!
This brings us to the next question:
Sarris, you posted a nice picture of your shield......but neglected to mention what kind it is.
I'd apprediate knowing the brand/model.

mrlmd1
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
What is the height of those Plexistar 2's? They might be a little too tall for you and you'd be looking right at or through the top edge which wouldn't help your vision at all.
I have a SlipStreamer SS28 fairing type windshield (covers the hand grips too) which is shorter, cost ~$150 or so - you might want to look at that one if the other is too tall for you. I think the SS28 is 15" tall, it has a four point mount so it doesn't vibrate or shake much and it's pretty sturdy.

patrick_777
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
He could just use this...

http://www.postimage.org/aVWo9Tr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Sarris
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
The windshield is visually & structurally a great piece with alot of chrome on the face. The tiny Suzuki OEM windshield was about $200, but way too small. This one is by Custom World, and mounts on the fork tubes between the trees. It is available in several configurations, and is about $300. It is available here: http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/customworldwindshield.htm

Easy, this is from the previous post. Custom World is the mfgr. I used the 17" tinted windshield with Savage mount kit, but still had to pad the tube mounts with a piece of radiator hose. It really blocks alot of air and also has a small flip-up at the top that directs the tubulence over your helmet (angle dependent). It also fits well around the headlight. I'll PM you some big pictures if you want a closer look.

:)

mr. softie
04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I had a nice big old windshield on my GZ (Arthur Fulmer brand), had it tweaked perfect, very happy with it, then a scaffold got blown over onto it and broke the thing. The shield did save the bike though, not a scratch or dent. I replaced it with a small SpitFire windshield that worked really well. I liked the smaller shield better than the big one on the GZ for some reason. Kept the wind off my torso pretty well, more windy than the big windshield but less buffeting to my head.

alanmcorcoran
04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Easy, I had originally ordered a Slipstreamer (SS30?) that was pretty darn big - and was strictly forkmount (the Plexistar is a hybrid.) It was a very nice windshield but it was poorly packaged -arrived with a piece missing, the grommetted mounting holes in the windshield didn't align well with the chromed sheet metal and the mounting kit was completely the wrong size.

But the windshield itself was quite nice!

As I stated in my original thread - you can mount the Plexistar in less than a half hour. But you can srew around with it forever. I have found when I get the top to where I like it, the wind comes in from the bottom. But I think I am taller than you so it might be a good fit. To answer your orginal question, there are partial lowers - you'll find they want to be right aorund where the turn signals are. Also, it has excellent hand grip coverage, unlike the shield on my Strat.

The center bottom is curved and cut out and almost looks like it was designed to go around the speedometer - which it does quite nicely.

Easy Rider
04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
What is the height of those Plexistar 2's? They might be a little too tall for you and you'd be looking right at or through the top edge which wouldn't help your vision at all.

I have a SlipStreamer SS28 fairing type windshield

SlipStreamer......that's the other one I wanted to look at; Thank you!

As for height, I prefer a tall shield and I DO look through the very top when in my "normal" seating position. I can, then, "sit up" and see over it .........which I found out the hard way years ago is NECESSARY when you get caught in the rain at night.

Easy Rider
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
He could just use this...

That might be more comfortable than the stock seat !! :biggrin:

Water Warrior 2
04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
A shield that is wide enough to protect your hands will greatly lengthen your riding season.

04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
A shield that is wide enough to protect your hands will greatly lengthen your riding season.

:plus1: to the above as far as the Plexistar goes.

But, Easy, I put the Plexistar on my bike about a month ago and have been messing with it ever since. I'm not sure you'll like it if you want it to be as tall as your previous sheild. Don't recall the dimensions at the moment, but I know the Plexistar was not as big as yours; plus, to get it as tall as possible lets in too much wind (and noise) under the bottom (personal preference, I know).

Windshileds, as has been stated here, is an exercise in compromise. I discovered that I don't like looking through the shield at all, nor the noise and wind from under the bottom. The price I have to pay, then, is a little more head buffeting. I know Easy and others already know this, but for newer folks, don't have unrealistic expectations - a windshield will cut down on a lot of wind fatigue, will provide some protection from objects, etc., but it's not like you'll feel like you're riding in a car. You're still on a motorcycle, for goodness sakes.

Keith

adrianinflorida
04-03-2009, 03:30 PM
You're still on a motorcycle, for goodness sakes.

Not with one of these bad boys!:
http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/06/rocketshields.jpg
:??:

http://gizmodo.com/5014716/rocketshield ... -sportbike (http://gizmodo.com/5014716/rocketshields-put-a-detachable-roof-on-your-sportbike)

In the big book of ideas that sound better than they probably are, you will find the Rocketshield canopy for sportbikes. Obviously, the device is intended for people who are looking to turn their sportbike into a viable daily commuter, but the whole damn thing just seems a bit unnatural and dangerous if you ask me. On the plus side, it does attach using stock mounting points, so no modifications to the bike are necessary to install it. At this point, Rocketshields can be custom designed to fit your needs, but a deal is currently in the works to mass produce the canopy (most likely for Kawasaki bikes).

alantf
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Over here, some of the city plice (policia local) ride BMW scooters with a roof, & - believe it or not - SEAT BELTS! What would happen in a slide, I don't know, but I believe the law says that if seat belts are fitted to a vehicle, they must be used. Strangely enough (LOL) I've never seen civilians riding them.

Easy Rider
04-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure you'll like it if you want it to be as tall as your previous sheild. Don't recall the dimensions at the moment, but I know the Plexistar was not as big as yours;

Yea, I know. It is all a gamble. I did like my previous one.....key word is DID. I can't recommend it now at all. I thought from the beginning that the rubber grommets didn't fit right in the mounting holes; guess I was right; another expensive lesson. :cry:

Just from the published sizes, the Plexistar is the same height, not as wide and has MUCH shorter lowers. I kind of felt that I needed more air from the bottom. Since I don't ride below 60 F, cold weather is not a consideration.

Been looking at the Slipstreamer's too.....S-02.....but just remembered today that the best shields are polycarbonate so my search isn't done yet. I suspect, however, that the poly ones don't come in the style I want.

Easy Rider
04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I have a SlipStreamer SS28 fairing type windshield (covers the hand grips too)

I'm presently debating between the SlipStreamer Spirit S02 and the Plexifairing GT.
It looks like the Plexistar 2 has been re-designed since Bob got his and I'm not sure I like the new model. I think the GT comes closer to the "old" 2.

Thoughts??

Keelvin
04-27-2009, 02:31 AM
It is sound good

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
It is sound good

What? Care to elaborate on that a bit ? :)

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
UPDATE

Still can't really recommend the Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz for the GZ but I decided to keep it since a replacement shield was about half the price of a new one.

I did add some small washers to the grommet mounts and that firmed the whole thing up a lot.

Then I moved the whole thing to the VLX. It feels right at home there and doesn't look as dorky as I thought it would.

Sarris
04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Pictures??

:poke2: :neener:

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Pictures??

:poke2: :neener:

Wasn't the shield ON when I posted a pic here ??
Maybe not.
Anyhow, I am closer to YOU right now than I am to my bike..... :cry: ..... (WOW, how depressing is THAT!!)
so you might have to remind me in a week or so.