PDA

View Full Version : windshield choice?

04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I found this windshield from National cyclehttp://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl ... l=su%2d055 (cyclehttp://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2595?mv_session_id=X3oygg8I&search_model=su%2d055)" and am considering getting it, is it a good choice? as they have quite a few to choose from. thanks

alanmcorcoran
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I tried clicking your lnk and got page cannot be displayed. Might be my browser though.

There are a lot of threads on here on windshields and there are no clear winners. Lot of it depends on what your priorities are:

1) coverage? (size, height, hand coverage, lowers, etc.)
2) price?
3) Ease of installation? De-installation?
4) Ability to withstand potholes?
5) fork mounted? bar mounted? both?

A few of us have the Plexistar II and have been reasonably happy with it. I have heard, though, that it was redesigned or discontinued...

Moedad
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I tried clicking your lnk and got page cannot be displayed.

I think it's this one. Looks okay as long as hand coverage is not important.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/images/products/webimages/DXHOMN2595VT1100Sprt_600.jpg

Easy Rider
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Yep, that's it. N2595. A little small for my taste.
I think it is roughly equivalent to the OEM shield.

At only 15" tall, it is not going to give you much protection for your face and head.....unless you duck down behind it .

The link has an extra "cycle" at the very beginning; if you take that out, it should work.

Easy Rider
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
4) Ability to withstand potholes?

That would be a plus. :roll:

I ordered a replacement shield today......same one as before.
Doing that was $100 less than getting a whole new one.

Gonna visit the hardware store for some rubber washers to shore up the mounting points though.

mrlmd1
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Easy - possibly the windshield cracked not because of the rubber washers but because the mounting hardware (bolts) that go through it hit the edge of the holes in the windshield when you hit the pothole. It could have shifted because the screw and rubber washers weren't tight enough or because the hole is not the correct size in relation to the mounting bolts. Rubber grommets to line the holes with on the screen would be better than washers on the outside, for their shock absorbing ability, to cushion the bolts against hitting the screen directly. I believe my SlipStreamer has grommets, does yours?

Easy Rider
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I believe my SlipStreamer has grommets, does yours?

Yes.

Do you think it would be condescending to suggest that my grommets might not be the right size??
They have always been rather loose in the holes.

I certainly wouldn't want to appear "holier-than-thou" by suggesting that I might know more than the people that built it. :poke2:

mrlmd1
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah - they might just have to be squeezed tighter? :??: :??: Maybe the extra rubber washers would help, if you can get them on if the mounting bolts are long enough. They might provide more friction against the shield to keep it from moving around over the mounts.
Did you ask them if this problem was ever reported before with them? I'd hate to think that could happen to anybody running over a big bump.

04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I tried clicking your lnk and got page cannot be displayed.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/images/products/webimages/DXHOMN2595VT1100Sprt_600.jpg

thank you Moedad yes that is the one I was looking at, I am going to order it. just hope shipping is not too much to ship to Canada!

mrlmd1
04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I imagine it gets cold in Canada when you'll still be riding. I would advise you to get a shield with extended guards over the grips and your hands, to keep them out of the wind. Even with gloves on, you'll stay much warmer if your hands are protected. That shield looks a little small to me. Check out the bike pictures here, do a search for windshields, you'll see many choices.

Easy Rider
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Did you ask them if this problem was ever reported before with them? I'd hate to think that could happen to anybody running over a big bump.

Not exaclty.
My only response from them was: " We don't deal directly with customers. Please contact your nearest dealer."

Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I may fire off a complaint after I get it all squared away.
Probably won't though, because it will take me a LOT more time to compose than it will take for them to commit it to the trash can.

mrlmd1
04-08-2009, 09:13 PM
You never know. If you do it tactfully, like I'm sure you will (?), you may even get a free replacement shield 'cause they don't want all the bad publicity of their products on this site and every other bike site on the web. Maybe they would authorize the dealer to send you another one because you are such a nice guy and really would like to endorse their product and their company, and how they stand by their products and support their customers. You can try.

Right, keep dreaming, those days are long gone.
Try it anyway.

Blackbird
04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I also have decided to get a National Cycle windshield too. I ordered it Monday and expect it soon.
I decided on the National Cycle N2561, light tint. I'll post a photo or two after it is installed. Still have not figured out which saddlebags to get. :??: This bike is coming together nicely. All I (we in Michigan) need is some warm weather and no more snow!

Water Warrior 2
04-09-2009, 02:30 AM
I imagine it gets cold in Canada when you'll still be riding. I would advise you to get a shield with extended guards over the grips and your hands, to keep them out of the wind. Even with gloves on, you'll stay much warmer if your hands are protected. That shield looks a little small to me. Check out the bike pictures here, do a search for windshields, you'll see many choices.
Heated grips are nice to have. Lynda's GZ had them and the M will get them too. Symtec heated grips are cheap and reliable.