PDA

View Full Version : Well I did it.....'07 Honda VT600C Shadow Red

Easy Rider
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Well almost.
Will be taking in the little thumper on Saturday and picking up the little twin in two weeks when I return from Atlanta. Too bad I can't take it along. :cry:

And a special note for Alan C. :
I think you REALLY missed the boat when you jumped all the way up to 1800......I mean REALLY.
When you finally get tired of wrestling that big beast around, have a look at mid-range cruisers......600-800 cc.

The "little" VTX weighs only about 100 lbs. more than the GZ and runs like a scared monkey.
It's a 4 speed (better for using that low end torque) and will easily hit 60 in third......and then it actually still pulls in 4th. :biggrin: I've heard it still gets ~60 mpg if you don't thrash it hard.

Do you think the wife will notice that it's not a GZ anymore ??? :biggrin:

http://www.postimage.org/Pq25U8Fr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

patrick_777
04-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Very nice. The Shadows have great aftermarket and mod support. It even looks like the GZ in many ways (except of course the big v-twin right in the middle.

:tup:

Easy Rider
04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
(except of course the big v-twin right in the middle.

:tup:

NO! Really? I hadn't noticed. :retard: :crackup

Yep, I'm pretty pleased. The grin factor is definitely HIGH.

Moedad
04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Sweet looking bike! Gonna be a long two weeks!

mrlmd1
04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Did you mean 60mph or 60mpg? 60 mpg for a bike with that get up and go is definitely a plus.
Many on here tried to tell AC to consider the mid sized bikes, but one look and a ride on the Strat had him convinced - no turning back for a second look at anything else. Wouldn't yours or Dupo's be just a s good on the highway as his as well as much more nimble? And there must be a lot more aftermarket accessories for your bike compared to his. Good choice and nice looking too. A slightly different red than the GZ.

Easy Rider
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Did you mean 60mph or 60mpg? 60 mpg for a bike with that get up and go is definitely a plus.

Wouldn't yours or Dupo's be just a s good on the highway as his as well as much more nimble?

Good catch. It's MPG. I fixed it.
Not sure I believe those claims.........and I'm SURE my first couple of tanks won't get that much. :roll:

Let's see, if the GZ would be an original VW beetle, then the Strat would be something like a Cadillac and the Shadow 600/750 would be kind of like a Ford Mustang. So, yes, I think your idea is about right. I don't care that his 800 lb. beast rides a little softer when cruising at 80. :biggrin:

(But I DO like my SLS!)

Easy Rider
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Sweet looking bike! Gonna be a long two weeks!

Kind of. Got lot's of things to keep me occupied. Will be scouting a new "bike" route on the way down. Big race at Talladega. Lot's of "Daddy Do" things, I suspect. And I might even rent a bike for a few days if the weather is good.

This also gives me time to contemplate which accessories I REALLY want/need and which ones are just a waste of money. Alas, the list usually gets longer the more you think about it. :roll:

Water Warrior 2
04-16-2009, 12:42 AM
That is a sweet looking Honda. Purty color.

mr. softie
04-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Very nice! Congratulations on your new ride. The Honda V-twins are known for exceptional durability and economy if recommended shift points are followed. Given easy acceleration 60mpg is definitely possible. This I assume because my 26 year old Honda V-twin 650 gets a consistent 55-60 mpg, and I know the Honda engineers were not napping for 24 years.

Easy Rider
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Given easy acceleration 60mpg is definitely possible.

That's what I figured and have heard other places.
I suspect that "easy acceleration" is not going to be possible the first couple of weeks! :cool:

I DO like that low-end torque. Never did get comfortable rev'ing an I4 to 10K to find the power band.

:chop:

Easy Rider
04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Very nice! Congratulations on your new ride.

Thanks all. Brought the new "baby" home today; she growls !!
One more (better) pic and then I will quit gloating......maybe! :whistle:

http://www.postimage.org/Pq2gcFa0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2gcFa0)

primal
04-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Now we demand a video!

Easy Rider
04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Now we demand a video!

Ya, well, been thinking about that and it probably won't happen anytime soon.

My new camera does good videos but my wife wants NOTHING to do with my bike riding.......and I don't have an account with an online video place (YouTube) either.

Somehow I don't see me duct-taping the camera to my helmet so don't hold your breath !! :biggrin:

Moedad
04-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Suh-weeet! I see about 7 reflections of you in the chrome taking the picture.

primal
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Now we demand a video!

Ya, well, been thinking about that and it probably won't happen anytime soon.

My new camera does good videos but my wife wants NOTHING to do with my bike riding.......and I don't have an account with an online video place (YouTube) either.

Somehow I don't see me duct-taping the camera to my helmet so don't hold your breath !! :biggrin:

I'd settle for just a video of the bike in the driveway. ;)

Easy Rider
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Suh-weeet! I see about 7 reflections of you in the chrome taking the picture.

And some of those are "life size" too !!! :shocked: :crackup

Easy Rider
04-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd settle for just a video of the bike in the driveway. ;)

That's definitely do-able........IF someone will give me a clue as to how to make it available here.
Is a YouTube (like) account required ??

Probably not; looks like I can just "attach" a video file here like you would a .JPG picture.......although I don't ever remember actually seeing one like that.

Time for me to learn something new, I guess.

It might be a while, however. Will be leaving for Atlanta next Tuesday for about 2 weeks and have been "playing" for several days (new bike and all) and have a TON of stuff I just HAVE to get done before then. We'll see.

patrick_777
04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Youtube is free.

Easy Rider
04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Youtube is free.

THAT DOESN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION!!! :poke2: :crackup
:neener: :biggrin:

patrick_777
04-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes it does.

BusyWeb
04-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks all. Brought the new "baby" home today; she growls !!
One more (better) pic and then I will quit gloating......maybe! :whistle:

http://www.postimage.org/Pq2gcFa0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2gcFa0)

Nice looking bike!!!
At this picture, I see a huge wind-screen ???
Wonderful colour too...

(BTW: Blue runs faster.... ha ha ha....)

Sarris
04-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Congrats Easy! That's a fine motorcycle that will give you lots of grins.

Now just don't bitch about the (slightly) lower gas mileage.

Also, you're not going to abandon us are you??? :cry: :cry:

We'll be looking for your first review.

:)

Easy Rider
04-18-2009, 08:02 AM
At this picture, I see a huge wind-screen ???

Look closely. That is the most expensive wind screen you will EVER see.
I went to the dealer last week to get a replacement for the one that I broke hitting a pothole.
It ended up costing me about $3,000 !!! :shocked:
It's the same one I had on the GZ; actually fits the VTX better.

Also, you're not going to abandon us are you??? :cry: :cry:
We'll be looking for your first review.

No, probably won't leave. Too many fun folks here. Will be mostly absent next 2 weeks though.

Spent most of yesterday just cruising around. Temp. about 70 F. Beautiful.

Bike runs great; nothing rattles or fell off.......after I put the wires and clamps back where they belonged from the previous owner removing the battery. Getting to the battery is a royal PITA; gonna connect my charger pig-tail and hope it lasts a LONG time.

I thought my dealer was pretty good; I was kidding myself. If they had given the VTX even a quick inspection, they should have seen and fixed all the loose wires inside BOTH side covers; SIGH. Guess that's what you get from the only dealer within 50 miles.

Bike runs GREAT but, just like the GZ, runs out of horsepower at the top end..........about 90 mph though. :biggrin: Handles good, not too much vibration and that V-twin torque is awesome. 4-speed transmission is smooth as butter. I thought I wasn't shifting because I wasn't feeling or hearing a clunk with each change. :shocked:

Seat seems to be MUCH better than the GZ. Don't like the WIDE bars but probably will just learn to live with that. Overall, I think I did good. Highly recommended as a good step up......without getting too crazy for power. :tup:

Gas mileage report later. Right now, I don't CARE !!!

patrick_777
04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
So you bought a windscreen and they gave you a free motorcycle! What a DEAL!! :rawk:

Easy Rider
04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
So you bought a windscreen and they gave you a free motorcycle! What a DEAL!! :rawk:

Yea somthin' like that........ :tongue: :crackup

adrianinflorida
04-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Did you order some drag pipes for it yet?

(Runs away)

:poke2:

Easy Rider
04-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Did you order some drag pipes for it yet?

Can't IMAGINE why you would bring THAT up ???? :roll:

I had been to the dealer about 10 days before and they had one just like it.......EXCEPT it had a lot more miles AND the P.O. had "screwed" with it pretty extensively, including V&H pipes. I dismissed that one as not for me; too costly to UNscrew it.

Enter the SECOND VTX. 100% stock, except for a few chrome do-dads. What perfect/terrible timing......depending on your point of view. I think perfect so far.

ANYHOW, she has a nice deep growl just with the stock pipes.
Even more than before, I think people who screw with their pipes to make them louder are just nucking futs. :whistle:

So, there you have it.
The answer is NO! :biggrin:

Water Warrior 2
04-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Easy, the best thing about the latest pic is easy. The bike is HOME !! Ride and enjoy.

adrianinflorida
04-19-2009, 09:07 AM
A buddy has 600 Shadow, it sounds great with the stock exhasut, I was just trying to rattle your cage a bit. Have a good trip and enjoy the new bike.

Easy Rider
04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
I was just trying to rattle your cage a bit.

Yes, I got it.
It WAS a good straight line, however, and I couldn't resist the temptation to "elaborate" just a bit.
Thanks! :biggrin:

burkbuilds
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
That is a realy nice looking ride! One of these days when I finally graduate from school I think that's about the size bike I'd like to have for some longer trips than my in town commutes. I really like the GZ for my daily ride, it's easy on fuel and I'm just trying to get back and forth with as little expense as possible. It does all that as well as anything out there, but I have driven it to Atlanta and back a couple of times and 250 miles is more than a little uncomfortable for my 210 lbs even with the extra 2" of foam I added when I re-did my seat. Plus, as you pointed out, that Honda has a little more top end room for highway traveling than the GZ. Anyway, I guess I'm a little envious of your new ride, but I hope you enjoy it a lot!

dannylightning
04-26-2009, 06:10 PM
What do you think of the bike so far. how does it ride on the highway and what is the top speed..

im looking at getting one of these or a sportster next summer. i want a small bike with plenty of power and a good top speed. i don't need something crazy fast.. just a bike i like the looks and has some get up and go and a good top speed. i would image that a 600 has plenty of power.

the gz is a great around town bike but i'm not sure i want to take it on the freeway.

music man
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
What do you think of the bike so far. how does it ride on the highway and what is the top speed..

im looking at getting one of these or a sportster next summer. i want a small bike with plenty of power and a good top speed. i don't need something crazy fast.. just a bike i like the looks and has some get up and go and a good top speed. i would image that a 600 has plenty of power.

the gz is a great around town bike but i'm not sure i want to take it on the freeway.

You are probably not going to WANT to go on the freeway with a 600 either, its just no fun no matter what size bike you are on, but at least on a 600cc up you COULD go freeway speed comfortably if you needed to.

dannylightning
04-26-2009, 11:48 PM

You are probably not going to WANT to go on the freeway with a 600 either, its just no fun no matter what size bike you are on, but at least on a 600cc up you COULD go freeway speed comfortably if you needed to.

you are right, i don't want to go on the freeway that much but i work night shift and the freeway is pretty empty at night.. most of my drive to work is in the country but i have a 10 min freeway drive and i would like to start riding a bike to work to save gas. so that wouldn't be so bad at all but i still don't want to take the gz on the freeway even when it is empty. i could go the long way and stay off the freeway but it is the LONG WAY with crap loads of stop lights. takes about a extra 20 min to get to work that way. and its already a half hour drive.

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM

I think it's gonna be great. Only had it 2 days and then left town for 2 weeks; won't be home again until this coming weekend. :cry:

Don't know top speed yet but it cruises at 70 very easily; not much "snap" left at that point though. I've heard others say you can squeeze 90 out of it but it takes a while to get there.

The gearing is TALL so gotta get used to a slightly different clutch feel; much like starting a stock GZ out in 2nd.
Handling is good but I took a turn too wide for the first time in about 20 years or so. Gotta pay a little closer attention on a bike that one is not used to. :shocked:

Sarris
04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Leave a little "skid mark" did we?

:lol:

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Leave a little "skid mark" did we?

It was more like: "HEY, WTF?"

(OK, well maybe just a little one!) :biggrin:

dannylightning
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I think i would like the long gearing. i hate shifting at twice to get up to 20 mph.. i tried to start out in second a few times but it feels like its kind of hard on the gz so i gave that idea up.