PDA

View Full Version : My 2006 GZ mods ...

Blackbird
04-21-2009, 11:33 PM
The current mods to my bike (Raven) are pretty much the same as everyone else. I thought some folks might be interested.
I did the K&N filter change along with the needle shim and main jet switch to 132.5. I have a 137 main jet and may switch to it down the road. I added the Emgo megaphone exhaust using the longer muffler. The bike really performs well now. I have the 16 tooth front sprocket and will get to it soon, but no real rush.
The MC engine guard added a bit of protection that I wanted, much better than the Suzuki version. The sissy bar is the Suzuki version that may change in the future.
The saddle bags are from Saddleman and seems like a great fit. The National Cycle windshield was a personal choice that I think works well, not everyone has it. I also added a bigger chrome horn that is a little louder but not too much.
The front fender guard is from Fehling and gives the GZ a totally different look.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq2DlMo9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Kuryakyn Dually pegs were added to the front and I think add a bit of comfort on the road.
Signal Dynamics Tri-Star XP Turn Signal to Brake Light/Turn Signal Converter was used to make the magic happen with the rear turn signal lights. I switched to clear lenses with red bulbs.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq2DlpWS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

I don't think I left anything out. I have a couple of more changes to add in the future and will post them at that time. So this is what Raven looks like now.

http://www.postimage.org/gx1H2RL9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1H2RL9)

adrianinflorida
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Looks great, New pegs are next on my list. What adapter did you need for the Kuryakyn Dually pegs? Or do you simply buy a "Metric" style?

Blackbird
04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
adrianinflorida ... Looks great, New pegs are next on my list. What adapter did you need for the Kuryakyn Dually pegs? Or do you simply buy a "Metric" style?
I bought the 8820 adapters for the Marauder 800. The Dually pegs will be without adapters of course. I'm pretty sure they were the 7963 Dually. Check before you order. The holes on the bike will need to be opened up a little by drilling. The treads on the supplied bolts get caught in the GZ's foot peg hole and I did not want to strip them so I just slightly enlarged the holes. Hope this helps.

adrianinflorida
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks, that'll help.

Goose
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
The current mods to my bike (Raven) are pretty much the same as everyone else. I thought some folks might be interested.
I did the K&N filter change along with the needle shim and main jet switch to 132.5. I have a 137 main jet and may switch to it down the road. I added the Emgo megaphone exhaust using the longer muffler. The bike really performs well now. I have the 16 tooth front sprocket and will get to it soon, but no real rush.

How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!

Easy Rider
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!

A little clarification might be in order. Are you climbing those mountains in 4th NOW, with the stock gearing? If so, the 16T would definitely help get you a little more speed from 4th.

If, OTOH, you are runnning the hills in 5th now, then forget the 16T; there is NO WAY you will maintain 65 up a steep hill in 5th with the 16T.

Blackbird
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Goose ...
How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!

Perhaps I should clarify that I don't have the 16 tooth sprocket on yet. I bought it, but have not installed it yet. I do use 5th through the hills and it pulls up them well at 55 to 60. I'm not sure how heavy you are but I'm sure that would come into play. I am anxious to try the 16 tooth gear and will get to it sooner or later. Sorry for the confusion.

OC Hoosier
04-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Where did you pick up your main jets? Do you feel the 137 would out perform the 132.5?

Blackbird
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Where did you pick up your main jets? Do you feel the 137 would out perform the 132.5?
I got them at the local Suzuki shop. They are cheap, that is why I got the 132.5 and 137. It's a crap shoot as to which will be better. Each are less than $2. Cheap experiment.

Blackbird
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Got a chance to finally install the 16 tooth front sprocket. What a difference! If you want an exciting change for your GZ this is it and it's cheap.

Easy Rider
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Got a chance to finally install the 16 tooth front sprocket. What a difference! If you want an exciting change for your GZ this is it and it's cheap.

Ah, another convert. Say AMEN Brother !! :biggrin:

Blackbird
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

Ah, another convert. Say AMEN Brother !! :biggrin:

AMEN!

Goose
05-17-2009, 01:41 PM
There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!

A little clarification might be in order. Are you climbing those mountains in 4th NOW, with the stock gearing? If so, the 16T would definitely help get you a little more speed from 4th.

If, OTOH, you are runnning the hills in 5th now, then forget the 16T; there is NO WAY you will maintain 65 up a steep hill in 5th with the 16T.

I forgot that I'd posted this question so it's taken me a little bit to get back to it.

Right now I'm climbing them in 4th. I'll be getting a tach soon so I can get an idea where my rpms are. The hills are steep enough that the little engine doesn't have the power to hold speed in 5th going up, but I don't want to redline it in 4th.

Yes, I know it's a little bike and I'm not trying to make it a speed demon. If there are a few mods that I can do to give it a little more torque up the hills, than I'll do them because, honestly, I love to tinker and mod things, even if I only get a 3% gain. It's worth it because it's fun.

If none of the mods make any difference, then I won't mess with them and I'll be happy climbing in 4th gear. Since all of the roads have passing lanes on the climbs I don't mind being under the speed limit.

From what I know about gearing, it seems the 16t would actually be detrimental to holding speed up a hill in 5th. On the flats I can see the advantage, but it seems like it might bog it down going up hill... although it seems like I might get a little extra speed up the hills with it in 4th without loosing too much torque.

Maybe I'll just have to try a bunch of different things and see what I like.

Goose
05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Goose ...

Perhaps I should clarify that I don't have the 16 tooth sprocket on yet. I bought it, but have not installed it yet. I do use 5th through the hills and it pulls up them well at 55 to 60. I'm not sure how heavy you are but I'm sure that would come into play. I am anxious to try the 16 tooth gear and will get to it sooner or later. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry... I looked at your "joined" date instead of the "posted" date and thought that you'd originally posted your mods back in 08'. Had I been smart enough to notice that you'd only posted two days before I asked my question, I wouldn't have made that mistake. Your original post was quite clear... my brain, however, was not. :lol:

Easy Rider
05-17-2009, 06:03 PM
From what I know about gearing, it seems the 16t would actually be detrimental to holding speed up a hill in 5th. On the flats I can see the advantage, but it seems like it might bog it down going up hill... although it seems like I might get a little extra speed up the hills with it in 4th without loosing too much torque.

Isn't that what I said ??? :poke2: :biggrin:

Goose
05-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Isn't that what I said ??? :poke2: :biggrin:

:facepalm:

I'm an idiot... I read your post 3 or 4 times and every time read it in my head as " a little more speed from 5th." Not "a little more speed from 4th." Which is what you had ACTUALLY written. I swear... I need someone to read my posts before I hit the submit button to make sure I make sense first. :bong:

Water Warrior 2
05-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Goose ...

Sorry... I looked at your "joined" date instead of the "posted" date and thought that you'd originally posted your mods back in 08'. Had I been smart enough to notice that you'd only posted two days before I asked my question, I wouldn't have made that mistake. Your original post was quite clear... my brain, however, was not. :lol:

Ah yes a common malady of those who ride bikes. Be sure brain is in gear before putting mouth in motion. lol :lol: We are all guilty from time to time.

Goose
05-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Ah yes a common malady of those who ride bikes. Be sure brain is in gear before putting mouth in motion. lol :lol: We are all guilty from time to time.

If only my wife were that understanding. :cry:

alantf
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
If only my wife were that understanding.

Are you mad, my good fellow? "wives" & "understanding" can NEVER be used in the same sentence! :whistle: :cry: (I've just checked that she wasn't looking over my shoulder while I typed this :roll: )

greenhorn
05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Are you mad, my good fellow? "wives" & "understanding" can NEVER be used in the same sentence! :whistle: :cry: (I've just checked that she wasn't looking over my shoulder while I typed this :roll: )

heh heh heh. We just like to scare you.....

Blackbird, that front fender guard looks way cool. It all looks good, but the guard.... nice, classy touch.

Mary

Goose
05-22-2009, 06:31 AM
If only my wife were that understanding.

A complete misscalculation on my part to try to mix oil and water like that. :biggrin: (I typed this at work so I KNOW my wife isn't looking over my shoulder.)

bonehead
05-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I found that after installing my 16t that I can pull hills in 4th up to 55mph and still have throttle left. On slight rises in 5th the bike will go from 65 to about 55. But I weigh 250, and I KNOW that has a lot to do with it!

Easy Rider
05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I found that after installing my 16t that I can pull hills in 4th up to 55mph and still have throttle left.

Yes that's pretty much what everybody reports. Just be careful not to run it TOO hard for TOO long in 4th..........would hate to have another rider tell us about a blown engine.

Water Warrior 2
05-22-2009, 03:43 PM
The GZ is a very forgiving bike but one must forgive it's one short coming which is 3 or 4 HP in my opinion. A slight boost in power would be the icing on a cake.

mrlmd1
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
5-10 would be better. :2tup:
But it's really not bad the way it is for what it's supposed to be.
Beats walking. Or pedaling a bike.
Just reminded myself - Where's AC these days? :??:

Wrong thread, I know, sorry.

Water Warrior 2
05-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Oh yah, 5 or 10 more ponies would be sweet but that would be a really big increase % wise. Short life over stressed 250 engine for sale here. Too bad Suzuki can't or won't shoe horn a 4oo cc vertical twin into the frame. Now that would be sweet.

Blackbird
06-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Oh yah, 5 or 10 more ponies would be sweet but that would be a really big increase % wise. Short life over stressed 250 engine for sale here. Too bad Suzuki can't or won't shoe horn a 4oo cc vertical twin into the frame. Now that would be sweet.

It would be sweet, but it might cut into their 650cc sales. However, it is time to upgrade this motor. 400cc or 450cc might sell well if they kept the same GZ style. Actually I know it would sell well if pricing were appropriate.

bonehead
06-09-2009, 08:26 AM
The S-40 and the GZ are very similar in size.

Blackbird
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Well ... apparently Suzuki does or did make a 400cc V Twin ... live and learn.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... X%26um%3D1 (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bikez.com/pictures/suzuki/2005/21422_0_1_2_intruder%2520classic%2520400_Image%252 0credits%2520-%2520Suzuki.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_intruder_classic_400_2005.php&usg=__0GxiRjZ2Yz6sgKUqeY506zXHq7E=&h=214&w=400&sz=22&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=mx9P-6cRg3TxgM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSuzuki%2BIntruder%2B400%26hl%3Den%26c lient%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1) :whistle:

Water Warrior 2
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Hmm. Looks like a C-50 with a lot less engine on the inside. The only downside to the bike is the weight factor. Of course it would ride very smooth and there would probably be little vibration from a 400 V-twin in a bike that size.

blaine
02-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Nice bike like fender mods :rawk: