PDA

View Full Version : tires starting to dry rot a little bit, safe or not

dannylightning
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
when i got the bike i did not notice any cracks in the tires, but after riding a few hundred miles i notice there are hairline cracks. and i do mean hair line. they still have plenty of tread are my tires unsafe?? the bike is a 03 with just over 3k miles probably the original tires.

how much does a shop usually charge to put new tires on a bike..

i found some nice kenda tires for about 50 bucks a piece. they say they are tubeless but they are the right size. will tubeless tires work and do you still need a tube

i hear these will work

130/90-15 Rear K671 Cruiser ST Tire
100/90-16 Front K671 Cruiser ST Tire

GZ250
04-22-2009, 02:25 PM
if the bike was standing most of the time during these years the tire would crack certainly, if the tires remain in use they get old and crack but that is different than when never in use. i would suggest get new tires to be safe. the front tire on my GZ is more than 3 yrs old and still in good shape. though replaced the rear one after 2 years. can't say on tubeless tires for GZ. tire and installation for me was around $100 or so in 2007.

JWR
04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I am running the same Kendra's that you listed.
I like them very much.

You should also get new tubes.

I believe my bill came to $200. + or -.

Water Warrior 2
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I am running the also same Kendras that you listed.
I like them very much.

Your new tires will only be as good as the old tubes. Renew both and ride safe.

dannylightning
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I like them very much.

that's not to bad

im pretty sure im gonna go with those tires, if i order them my self will shops give me a hard time about putting them on.

any thing special you need to do to run a tubeless tire on a rim that requires tubes??

adrianinflorida
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I like them very much.

that's not to bad

im pretty sure im gonna go with those tires, if i order them my self will shops give me a hard time about putting them on.

any thing special you need to do to run a tubeless tire on a rim that requires tubes??Other than the tube and protector strip (covers the ends of the spokes in the rim) that's it. Tubeless will work with a tube.

dannylightning
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
i may try to change them my self and take them to get balanced, i rode bmx pretty much all my life cant be much harder than changing a bike tire. i think i remember seeing a post on how to change a tire your self. ill look in to it and see if its really that much of a pain in the ass

mrlmd1
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
All this has been discussed many times on here - use the search function and read the other posts.
The cracks are "dry rot", related to the age of the rubber. and since your life depends on them, once you see that and the tire is 6 years old, it's safer to get new ones.
If you didn't know before, you need tubes because the GZ 250 has spoked wheels and air leaks our through the spoke holes. Mag or alloy type wheels don't need tubes, they are solid. Rim strips prevent the spoke ends inside the wheel from puncturing the tube. Change them all when you get new tires, it's cheap insurance.
Search, then search again. Lot's of info is already here and easily available and maybe better than on this thread. Especially on changing your own tires.

music man
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM

anything special you need to do to run a tubeless tire on a rim that requires tubes??

Yes it is likely that you will run into a problem if you order them yourself, The Suzuki shop will mount a tire that I bring them, the Suzuki shop in Little Rock will not, so you have a 50/50 chance of not running into a problem, I would ask first.

And you can run a tubeless tire on a rim that requires tubes, by putting tubes in them. And yes if your tires are that old tread DOES NOT MATTER, they are old replace them, unless you want to have to replace some body parts (human ones).

dannylightning
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
well the Honda dealer out here will install tires for 35 bucks a rim if i take the rims off and bring them in. the Suzuki dealer won't.

now i just halve to figure out how to get my rims off the bike with out halving to lay the bike down.

music man
04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
well the Honda dealer out here will install tires for 35 bucks a rim if i take the rims off and bring them in. the Suzuki dealer won't.

now i just halve to figure out how to get my rims off the bike with out halving to lay the bike down.

But will they install tires that you bought somewhere else? Like I said some places won't.

adrianinflorida
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM

But will they install tires that you bought somewhere else? Like I said some places won't.
Cycle Gear stores, if you have one nearby, will mount and balance them if you bring the new tire and old tire/wheel to them (Off the bike). I think it's $20 or so.
http://www.cyclegear.com/

dannylightning
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Cycle Gear stores, if you have one nearby, will mount and balance them if you bring the new tire and old tire/wheel to them (Off the bike). I think it's $20 or so.
http://www.cyclegear.com/

that's even better, i will check to see if there's one here. yes there is

thanks.