PDA

View Full Version : NEW accident report!

alantf
05-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Aint life a bitch!

I've just got the bike back (last week) after having the damage repaired from when the girlie reversed into it & knocked it over.

This morning I was riding through a local town, when I came up behind four cars that were stationary on the highway. I couldn't see why they were stood, so I pulled out & started to overtake them (at walking pace) When I drew level with the first one - a BMW 4x4 - he decided to put his indicator on, & turn left. Only problem is, he didn't bother to look in his mirror, & he turned straight into me. The bike went down.

Damage :- Engine guard badly bent & mangled (but it DID protect the tank & my legs)
Headlight twisted & mangled
Clutch lever & bar ends scuffed
Brake pedal mangled (from where BMW ran over it
Luggage box scuffed
NEW $250 leather coat scuffed on arm
Handlebars bent
Front mudguard scuffed
Orange indicator cover bent & scuffed

I thought that was it, but on the way home my right arm started to stiffen up, & I've found that my right wrist is swollen. Not broken, but I've strapped it up.

Been to the bike shop! Here we go again! Mañana, Mañana!

Sarris
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Similar thing happened to me with a single car at 35 mph and no turn signal. That one crushed my right foot & put me in a wheelchair for 6 months.

You are a lucky man. I'm glad you're not any worse off.

Get her fixed, and feel better soon.

:)

Easy Rider
05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
This morning I was riding through a local town, when I came up behind four cars that were stationary on the highway. I couldn't see why they were stood, so I pulled out & started to overtake them (at walking pace)

In the spirit of using this for a learning experience........
THAT was a big mistake, as the evidence clearly indicates.

One should NEVER pass vehicles stopped or moving very slowly ON A ROADWAY because something is not right and you don't want to get tangled up in it.

Had that lead vehicle making the abrupt turn been a big truck, you might not be here to tell us about it !!! :skull: :skull:

patrick_777
05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Glad you're (mostly) alright. Hope that wrist heals up fast.

Live and learn...in that order.

burkbuilds
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Glad you survived with only minor injuries to yourself and damage to the bike. It's just not worth the risk to try and go around stopped cars no matter how slow you are going. Hope you heal up quickly!

alantf
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Finally!.......... Only one month later! :whistle:

Just got a letter from my insurance company, to say that the other guy's insurance will pay up :2tup:

It's been a fight, but I've had R.A.C.E. (Royal Automobile Club of Spain) of which I'm a member, & my insurance company (part of R.A.C.E.) fighting for me. They've worked on the assumption that whatever the minor details ( :whistle: ) of who's right/wrong as regards road positioning, the guy should have checked his mirror before making a major move, such as turning left.

Went down to the bike shop, only to find that the owner's on holiday, & won't be back until monday. Still, a few more days won't hurt, now that I know I'm going to get all the repairs covered.

Yeah - I know! - I won't do that again! I suppose I was just over confidant after a lot of years of accident free riding. Newbies, please learn from my mistakes!

Just in passing - The only bone I've ever broken in my body was my wrist, when I went over the handlebars on a patch of grit, in my teens.

burkbuilds
06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey alantf, glad to hear you will be back on two wheels soon! Good luck with getting the bike back quickly so you can enjoy a wonderful time of the year to be riding.

Red_bike
06-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Alantf, are you back on the road again?

Duck

alantf
06-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Yes, I've been on the road all the time. The bike shop guy used a piece of scaffolding pole to straighten the handlebars as much as he could. I managed to sort the brake pedal out temporarily, & roughly straighten the headlamp bracket. I also put the old engine guard back on. So - riding like a little old lady - I've been able to use the bike locally. The new parts should be here sometime this week, so (hopefully) It should be back to normal by next week.

burkbuilds
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Good to hear you will be all fixed up soon. That's been a long time getting through all the insurance squabbles hasn't it? By the way, just noticed your subscript about "by birth an Englishman...." around my part of the world we have a similar quote, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!"

alantf
07-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Well ......... eleven weeks after the accident, & the bike's finally repaired - almost! The new luggage box will arrive next wednesday (promises, promises) & with typical Spanish efficiency, the engine guard might arrive in a couple of weeks..... They DID send it, but it turned out that (yet again!) they sent the guard for the gz125, like they did last time, & the time before (it didn't fit then, so it sure as hell won't fit now!) When the bike shop guy pointed out their mistake, they sent one for the 250. Only problem was - it was for the INTRUDER 250. Still, I've got all the new shiny parts - handlebars, headlight, brake & gear change pedals - new front mudguard. I think they must have adjusted & lubed all the cables when they changed the handlebars, because it feels even smoother now than it did before.

I've been toying with the idea of changing the bike (just because I'd like something a bit faster on the autopista, & I thought NOW might be a good timeto sell the gz,with all the new shiny parts) & I reckon I've just about talked my wife into it. I still need something that is VERY manouverable in heavy traffic for 99% of my riding, so I asked the bike shop guy for the price on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It wasn't on his list, so he e-mailed the suppliers. They e-mailed back that it wasn't available in Spain. Apparently the last year for the european model was 2008, & he doesn't know of any second hand ones on the market. I suppose I'll just have to have a rethink, & keep my options open. :)

alanmcorcoran
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I think you need a sign under your avatar: 13 days without an accident!

I love the speed, power and acceleration of my big bike, but, it is most definitely NOT as maneuverable as the GZ is in heavy traffic. No experience with the Vulcan, but I suppose there is a lot to choose from in between a 250 and a 1900.

burkbuilds
07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Good luck with your search for a new bike. Sorry to hear that the Vulcan wasn't available there. I'm really enjoying mine, I've got over 2100 miles on it already and I'm getting 60 mpg which is better than I expected when I purchased it, though about 10 less than I was getting on the GZ.

music man
07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
I love the speed, power and acceleration of my big bike, but, it is most definitely NOT as maneuverable as the GZ is in heavy traffic. No experience with the Vulcan, but I suppose there is a lot to choose from in between a 250 and a 1900.

You better watch out saying stuff like that alan, because you know, according to you, everytime you make a comment like that you get jumped on by certain members of the group. :poke2:

alantf
07-18-2009, 07:27 AM
No experience with the Vulcan, but I suppose there is a lot to choose from in between a 250 and a 1900.

The reason I chose the Vulcan was the personal recommendation of burkbuilds. It seemed that it would do everything I needed, i.e. high manouverability in heavy traffic, combined with plenty of power on the autopista. The other reason I chose it is that, at 2cc UNDER 500cc, the insurance is "reasonable". I suppose I'll have to trawl the bike sites on the internet, & if I find anything else that fits the bill, I'll have to see if THAT'S available in europe. It's a pity that I need the occasional extra power (read "speed") because in EVERY other way, the :2tup: gz fits the bill on this small, traffic congested, island.

By the way, if you saw my post (above) about the bike shop adjusting the cables - I think I've found out why. The new handlebars are tilted back slightly (more than they were before) so they probably would have to readjust the cables. I'm happy that they're tilted back slightly, as it's a job I was going to do myself, but never got round to. :2tup:

mrlmd1
07-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Have you looked at a Suzuki S40 (650cc) or S50 (805cc)? I LOVE my S50, handles just like the GZ but with power to spare and only 140lbs heavier.
If you search the dealers or on the internet, how many bikes can you find on that little island where you live, or how far off do you have to go to see one and bring it home? Any big problems with import duties and other taxes?

alantf
07-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Any big problems with import duties and other taxes?

The main problem is that under Spanish law it must be stock. Anything that was not on the original bike needs so much paperwork & examinations (the only guy who can certify it lives on one of the other islands) that it quickly becomes an exercise in pointless beurocracy (which the Spanish seem to love). When it comes to the annual test (vehicle check?) which is needed for vehicles over 4 years old, the stupidity becomes even worse. The other year I read in the newspaper that a guy had bought a used car. When he took it for the annual test, it failed because, prior to him buying it, it had been fitted with a hood with an air scoop, & a sports steering wheel. All perfectly safe, but a fail because they weren't fitted to the car as original parts, & he didn't have a certificate from the manufacturer saying that they approved of them.

I was thinking of buying a bike in England, when I went to my daughter's on holiday, then riding it home (plus the ferry) but when I found out about the beurocracy & the cost, I gave up.

If what I want is available, then the bike shop guy is really helpful. There wasn't a gz on the island, when I ordered mine, so he got one shipped over from the island of Gran Canaria. With all the registration regulations, it's much easier (and no more expensive) to let the professionals do the leg work. You might as well not bother with e-bay or craigslist as nobody over here seems to put bikes on them.(or anything else, for that matter) :cry:

I've just been on the "virtual motorcycle" site, & it seems that for cruisers, the smallest size above 250 is 650 cc.(& most, 750 & above) It appears that the Vulcan was the last of a dying breed.

mrlmd1
07-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Most of the insurance companies over here too rate bikes above 500cc with a higher premium, no matter what they are. So a Vulcan 500 basically runs the same premium as the GZ. Above that, it goes up a little, how little or how much depends on the displacement, as well as other factors.

dhgeyer
08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Can you still get a Ninja 500? Same engine as the Vulcan, with slightly different cams, but in a sport bike body. Definitely handles better than the Vulcan - seat's not as comfortable. Different riding position, for most people better for long distances. Something to look at if it's still available. Here in the States 2009 is the last model year for the Ninja 500.