PDA

View Full Version : trunk installation

happyhobo
03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
This is "Maudie".she now has a trunk...these pic show mounting plate with 28l. Kappa case....full face helmet fits in case....now all i have to do is figure out how to post the pics....patience please
http://upload7.postimage.org/334370/IMG_0047.jpg (http://upload7.postimage.org/334370/photo_hosting.html)

Dupo
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Looks awesome!! Great job on that.

BTW, i had that exact same Joe Rocket tank bag lol. Used to carry my camera, cigs, gum, sunglasses, wallet, bottle of soda and other odds n ends in that thing all at once. I was so mad when i got my spirit 750...it wouldnt fit on the tank :(

alanmcorcoran
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Happy Hobo, I am looking for that exact combination. Is the Kappa case available in the US? Online? Are there different sizes?

Water Warrior 2
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Happy Hobo, I am looking for that exact combination. Is the Kappa case available in the US? Online? Are there different sizes?

I think I can answer that for Lynda(HH). There are many sizes and makes of trunks available. Shad, Kappa, Givi and various knock offs on E-Bay. Make sure it includes a mounting plate if you get one. The mounting plate is attached to a flat 1/8th inch slab of metal that goes in place of the rear seat. The front mounting bracket for the rear seat is retained. Using a cardboard template is easiest for the next bit. Determine the size of metal slab, just make it as wide as the trunk mounting plate. The length of the slab is optional so don't look for a specific #. Just use common sense and make what will fit. The rear portion of the slab (about 1.5 to 2.0 inches) should be bent down about 18 degress so it will line up with the curvature of the fender. This will also allow the rear bolt to go into the fender with ease. I just found a metal fab shop and gave them my cardboard template + $20.
The only tools needed are a tape measure and electric drill plus whatever is needed for the nuts and bolts stuff...................oh yah, and a large pizza so you have a piece of the cardboard top with a bend in it.
I used metric nuts and bolts to mount the metal slab and flat black rust paint to finish the metal. Ideally you should have the trunk first and make the metal slab to fit.

jonathan180iq
02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Alan,
The JcWhitney Givi knock-off is top notch quality, comes with a mounting plate, and is only $47.99 plus shipping. Shipping is free if you spend $50 before taxes.

It's the same trunk that I used in my older post about wiring LED brake lights... I have two posts about tail lights. You want to find the one with the LED strips. Check out my personal files on http://www.mediafire.com/gz250bikepics . I believe it's in a folder called "TRUNK" or something like that.

jonathan180iq
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=904&hilit=trunk (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=904&hilit=trunk)

Scroll down a bit and you will see the pictures.

Yes. The actual trunk that I ordered came from Ebay but it is the JcWhitney trunk.

alanmcorcoran
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks IQ. I'm a little concerned about my ablility to do a reversible install of one of these. But I will mull it. My GZ remains "in the shop" where I suspect it will stay until I call them up and ask them "what gives?" I hate service departments.

Easy Rider
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
My GZ remains "in the shop" where I suspect it will stay until I call them up and ask them "what gives?" I hate service departments.

This topic spreads like a virus; I think it has "infected" at least a half-dozen threads so far. Let's make it ONE MORE! :tup:

So, how's the weather out there since you took it in......and what are the hours for the service department?

My guess at this point is one (or a combination) of the following:
The weather has warmed up so that it is above 60 by 10 am.
The shop doesn't open until 10 am.
They are keeping it INSIDE the heated shop.
.....and they are going to tell you they can't really find anything wrong with it.......and that might be true.

I am anxiously awaiting your outcome 'cause I haven't had mine running since our little 2 day "Indian summer" (when it didn't perform too good) and now it's back to 30 degrees again. :cry:

alanmcorcoran
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
It's been cool, but it has ben getting above 60, maybe by 10. (It's low 40's overnight.) Not sure of shop hours. Its a pretty fancy place, they might open early. I have the other bike and it's been raining a lot, and, I guess Idon't want to lean on them because they will the declare the bike "fixed" and tell me to come get (and pay for) it. Times like these it would be nice if I believed in miracles or at least the power of prayer.

I'll let yo know what happens (in a separate thread) when I get it back. And I'll stop infecting the rest of the threads.

Easy Rider
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
And I'll stop infecting the rest of the threads.

Oh hell, that's no fun!
I think there are at least 2 dealing directly with that already; no need for a new one. Makes it hard for the newbies to search. :roll:

Water Warrior 2
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Alan...............a reverse install ??? Back to total stock with 2 wrenches and 5 minutes time.

alanmcorcoran
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I effed up my Strat - left it "On" after Joshua Tree and drained the battery, so that will take precendence over monkeying with the GZ for a bit. Shopping for the right battery tender right now.

Easy Rider
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Shopping for the right battery tender right now.

I propose a new nickname for Alan:
CROSS-THREADED

:crackup

mr. softie
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Times like these it would be nice if I believed in miracles or at least the power of prayer.

I am not a religious man, and I don't believe in miracles, but the power of prayer has been demonstrated to me, when I remember to pray. :whistle:

happyhobo
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
your lack of reasoning is scaring me :facepalm:

alanmcorcoran
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
See separate thread hobo.