PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug change....

BusyWeb
05-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi, there.
I wonder what the GZ's spark plug maintenance schedule is?
It's the only one, and might very easy to be changed compare to the other bikes.
I made spark plugs change on my other bike, on which first maintenance schedule is 8000 miles.
I took out stock spark plugs and don't see any problems at all, very clean; looks still good for other long mileage.
However, as spark plugs are not that expensive; actually cheap, I replaced them all (4 of them).
Suprise, bike runs much much much smooter and felt fast throttle response, and more torque at higher rpm, ....
It might give me some better MPG too, just hoping... ha ha ha... :roll:
If anyone's bike has passed spark plug maintenance schedule, try to take it out and look or just replace it.
:) :) :)

GZ250
05-09-2009, 06:43 AM
I change spark plug each year, no matter what the health of spark plug is. Earlier than that can't say would make a differance. And for air filter every two years. It also depends how much you run. I commute every day.

dannylightning
05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I change spark plug each year, no matter what the health of spark plug is. Earlier than that can't say would make a differance. And for air filter every two years. It also depends how much you run. I commute every day.

i dont see a point in that.. if it's not broken don't fix it. spark plugs can last for a long time. if it looks bad when you take it out than fix it, if it is in good shape just check the gap and make sure it is correct if you got it used, who knows what the last guy did when they had it.

Easy Rider
05-09-2009, 12:55 PM
It also depends how much you run. I commute every day.

i dont see a point in that.. if it's not broken don't fix it.

Note that he puts a LOT of miles on the bike in a years time.

There IS a recommendation in the maintenance schedule for changing the plug.
They are exposed to more heat than a water cooled engine.......and that has NOTHING to do with the "heat range" of the plug.

AND......in a one cylinder bike, that ONE plug is very important. They do fail suddenly sometimes.
I have a vivid memory of that in my S90, which had a KICK starter; damn near got a hernia kicking that thing over before I gave up !!!

Anybody who rides a thumper should always carry a spare plug.......and a tool to change it with.

alantf
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
In my hand book, Suzuki says to change the plug every 10,000 km (6,200 miles) I check mine frequently & have never needed to clean or re-gap it. When 10,000 km came up it was still in good condition, so I never changed it, & no problems yet. However, that's just MY bike. I'm not suggesting that all gzs will be the same. All I'm saying is, Check it regularly, & if it looks at all suspect, then change it. It's one of the least expensive bits of the bike, but you don't need to change it just for the sake of change.

GZ250
05-09-2009, 10:40 PM
nothing is holy script here. as i said even after a year my spark plug is good and works non stop but its just $3 or so and if it helps the engine and keeps me trouble free why not change. when i changed my air filter it looked almost new but 2 years is enough. i recently had the piston issue in my front (disk) brake. it was stuck and i think as well as the dealership, the brake fluid was the reason and when i took out the old one it was not colorless type but orangish. i have seen people don't care about air filters in their cars and man at oil change when the technician takes that out it has so much dust and almost black, their cars still run :)

Water Warrior 2
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Put in an Iridium plug and probably never change it again.

dannylightning
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
nothing is holy script here. as i said even after a year my spark plug is good and works non stop but its just $3 or so and if it helps the engine and keeps me trouble free why not change. when i changed my air filter it looked almost new but 2 years is enough. i recently had the piston issue in my front (disk) brake. it was stuck and i think as well as the dealership, the brake fluid was the reason and when i took out the old one it was not colorless type but orangish. i have seen people don't care about air filters in their cars and man at oil change when the technician takes that out it has so much dust and almost black, their cars still run :)

i worry more about a air filter than i do spark plugs. the engine needs to breathe and air filters can get dirty fast depending what kind of environment you live in. those do go bad but i dont think i have ever had a spark plug go bad before i decided it was time to replace them. i have had plug wires go bad before.

when i get a used car i always replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and air filter. than i only worry about he air filter and heck it every 3 or 4 months. but like it was stated we do only have one spark plug so it may be wise to check up on it often and keep a spare plug at all times.

primal
05-14-2009, 12:04 PM
For the price of a sparkplug (maybe $2.50?) why not change every year? Hell, replacement NGK plugs are still cheap enough to change every year on a 4 cylinder bike.

Unless you're using those expensive snake oil plugs (just my opinion) you can't really say its all that much of an expense.

Water Warrior 2
05-14-2009, 02:29 PM
From what I have heard the Iridium tipped plugs are the way to go. My Vstrom will be getting a couple in the future.