PDA

View Full Version : slow air leak in front tire

mrlmd1
05-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a slow air leak in my front tire, maybe 5 lbs. pressure every two weeks. Both my tires were replaced, with new tubes and rim strips, by the dealer, maybe 6-700 miles ago. Using soapy water and looking for bubbles. I cannot find any air leaking out anyplace - from valve, valve stem, along either side of the rim. Other than removing the front wheel, which I really don't feel like doing, and putting it in a water tank and looking for air leaking our somewhere (spokes?), anyone have any other ideas?
I find it hard to believe I have a hole or tiny puncture in the tube, there are no punctures in or anything wrong with the tire, but the air has to be leaking out somewhere - either out of the tube, the valve stem, or the valve.
Meanwhile I just check it before each ride every couple of days and fill it up with a manual air pump which takes 2 minutes, but is still a PIA.

Anyone use any tire seal goop-in-a-can stuff to squirt into the tube? That may also unbalance the tire. :??:

Sarris
05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Its probably a bad Schrader valve in the valve stem, just unscrew it and replace it.

Als, don't put that goop shit in your tire, you'll really regret the mess and unbalance theat crap causes.

:)

Water Warrior 2
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Another far fetched theory. When the shop installed the new tire etc did the tech tighten up the nut holding the valve stem in place. If it is too tight it will damage the base of the stem where it comes through the rim and quite possibly create a very slow leak. In my zeal to tighten stuff I did this years ago and had to buy a new tube. The shop guys said "Finger Tight" now give us your money. I think I deserved that one.

Easy Rider
05-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a slow air leak in my front tire, maybe 5 lbs. pressure every two weeks. Both my tires were replaced, with new tubes and rim strips, by the dealer, maybe 6-700 miles ago.

In that case, I would say it is the dealer's problem.
I'd let THEM fix it.......probably by putting in a new tube.....and expect it to be a "warranty" job.

[Yea, charge into that lions den without so much as a spear! Easy for ME to say !!!] :popcorn:

Water Warrior 2
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Yup, take her back to the shop. In my case it was owner induced failure.

mrgz250
07-20-2013, 07:19 PM
take out the tube valve & put a new one in make sure it is clean than check it again if that doesnt work you could have a pinch tube or a pin hole in it that wont show up by putting water over it pull the tube fill it up & put it in water dont use after market parts oem only tire seal
will just unballance the wheel & make a mess

blaine
07-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Ya don't say????? On a post over 4 years old!!!!!!!! :fu: