PDA

View Full Version : Choke Lever stuck

computech
07-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know how to free up a stuck choke lever on the GZ 250?

Easy Rider
07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know how to free up a stuck choke lever on the GZ 250?

Depends on WHY it is stuck.
It IS supposed to be rather stiff to move.

This is why I try to maintain a good relationship with a dealer.
Things like that can often be corrected in a couple of minutes, at little or no cost.....if they know you.

Possible that the cable is seized but more likely that the friction ring right at the lever is just too tight. Oil (or similar) is probably not a good idea as then it might become too LOOSE. A flushing with brake cleaner or alcohol might free it up.

Then once you see where the slip ring movement IS....a TINY bit of something like WD40 might prevent it from happening again.

Jere
07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
computech.
See my "black plug, black smoke" thread. I lubed my choke lever last night quite successfully.

I should have taken pictures, but here's the steps:
- dissassemble the switch housing (houses the horn, signals, and light switches) on the left handlebar:

There's three screws on the bottom of the housing. Take out the two black ones. Carefully take the housing apart (splits into two sections.) Pull out the choke lever, slip out the cable, and set the lever to the side. You'll probably have to loosen the friction rings to do this.

- unhook choke lever at carburetor:

I found it easier to take the tank off (it takes 2 minutes at the most,) but you don't have to. Simply unscrew the nut (14 mm wrench) and slide out the choke cable. Don't lose the spring or the connection thingy (don't know the name, haha.)

- from here you'll know if it was crimped at the carb end (needle not sitting correctly) or just siezed.

- If siezed, you can lube it using whatever kind of lube. I used WD40 and applied it using a cable luber. Because it's not a normal cable, the cable luber doesn't seal too well around the cable end. In addition to the luber, I used a rag to seal it at the luber and at the friction rings and had a helper spray the WD40 into the luber. Using the rag prevents the lube from flying all over the place. Keep pumping lube until it comes out the other end and stop. It doesn't take much.

After that, my choke lever is easy to move, but still stiff enough.

computech
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Thank you very much!!!
Have a Great Day.

Ed