PDA

View Full Version : Quick air filter question

Vinci
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
First off I hope this thread doesn't spark another debate like the "UPDATE - New K&N Filter, Emgo Muffler, and Carburator Mods" thread did...

Okay so here's the question regarding what Easy Rider said in the thread I mentioned. When cleaning the air filter I figured its already out lets see how it runs, started it up no problem, idled fine no problem, went for a spin around the block a couple times ran no problem..so the question is would that lead any of you to believe that it has a larger jet in the carb already?

Just asking opinions on what you guys/gals think about that..I'd take it apart but too many tiny little parts and pieces kinda scares me especially doing it just to SEE if it has a larger jet already in place.

Thanks in advance and again..please no back and forth debate on modifying vs stock

Easy Rider
07-25-2009, 10:28 AM
..so the question is would that lead any of you to believe that it has a larger jet in the carb already?

Thanks in advance and again..please no back and forth debate on modifying vs stock

Yes it would lead me to believe that or maybe just the needle shim change.......unless you are NOT located in North America. European models come richer to begin with.

And.....it's no reflection on YOU if you "open the door" and some wild animals come in that you haven't invited!! :biggrin:

[Edit] After reading your post again another thought popped up. If I remember my test correctly, you have to try to accelerate rather briskly for it to stumble; I don't remember any problem at idle or very light throttle either.

bonehead
07-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Actually all you have to do to see if it does have a larger main jet is to remove the gas tank, rotate the carb, and remove the 4 bowl screws, and the size is stamped on the bottom of the jet-#120 being stock.

Blackbird
07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Actually all you have to do to see if it does have a larger main jet is to remove the gas tank, rotate the carb, and remove the 4 bowl screws, and the size is stamped on the bottom of the jet-#120 being stock.

FYI. You don't need to remove the tank, just rotate the carb.

Vinci
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Easy Rider I'm fairly sure I road the bike pretty hard though its been a couple weeks so I can remember if I accelerated hard or not..I will try it in the next few days

Bonehead and Blackbird I will rotate the carb later this week and have a look at it if its only 4 screws needed to have a look at it

Thanks for the responses, I'll reply when I find out whats going down

Goose
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Easy Rider I'm fairly sure I road the bike pretty hard though its been a couple weeks so I can remember if I accelerated hard or not..I will try it in the next few days

Bonehead and Blackbird I will rotate the carb later this week and have a look at it if its only 4 screws needed to have a look at it

Thanks for the responses, I'll reply when I find out whats going down

Just don't forget to empty the float bowl before you remove the screws. It's not tragic if you forget, but it is messy.

Just back out this screw (upper arrow) a little and the fuel will drain out of the hole below it (lower arrow.) (Picture taken from Jaime's "GZ250 power increase" thread)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/carb/carb1.jpg

jonathan180iq
09-01-2009, 08:15 AM
You must have something going on. Either you didn't ride the bike hard enough or, as you suggested, someone has already up graded the jet size.

I once had something as simple as a disconnected hose and my bike wouldn't get past 40-MPH. It would chug and lurch and sputter and cough. A strip of duct tape solved the problem until I replaced the tube all together.