PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT get the Suzuki engine guard

VTXorcist
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I wish I had listened better to the folks on here who said how tiny these things are. They're useless. Yes, they look good, but they stick out about half as far as the pegs. I'd have to grind down my pegs and the outer 2 inches of my leg before the engine guard ever touched ground. Also, the top bracket is held on by two weld points that are about 1/4" wide. It feels like they'll break just from road rattle; there's no way it could hold the whole bike up if it goes over.

I found them really cheap, but I should have realized that spending half the money for something useless just means I wasted less money, not that it wasn't wasted.

bonehead
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Yah, most of the OEM Suzuki acc. are crap!! I was really pissed about the quality of the backrest/luggage rack for over 300$. When I ordered the windshield, it came in a sealed box with BROKEN parts. Just refused that.

Water Warrior 2
08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I am of the opinion that Suzuki thinks the bike should be sacrificed to save the bars from damage. Very strange logic.

Easy Rider
08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I was really pissed about the quality of the backrest/luggage rack for over 300$.

Different perspectives are interesting. I sent back the engine guard I got but didn't have a problem with the sissy bar at all.......or the bag guards either.....except for the price, that is.

warrior
09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I wish I had listened better to the folks on here who said how tiny these things are. They're useless. Yes, they look good, but they stick out about half as far as the pegs. I'd have to grind down my pegs and the outer 2 inches of my leg before the engine guard ever touched ground. Also, the top bracket is held on by two weld points that are about 1/4" wide. It feels like they'll break just from road rattle; there's no way it could hold the whole bike up if it goes over.

I found them really cheap, but I should have realized that spending half the money for something useless just means I wasted less money, not that it wasn't wasted.

The top bracket is rubbish and WILL break from road rattle. I replaced the top bracket after it broke with a U shaped bracket that goes around the frame and bolts to the two studs on the engine guard.

alantf
09-08-2009, 04:47 AM
They're useless.

Pity you can't get the SPAAN guards in America. They're STRONG, & I know from personal experience that they'll save both the bike & your legs. When that car sideswiped me, the force of the bike going down was enough to buckle the bar, but it still did its job magnificently. :2tup: