PDA

View Full Version : Intercoms and safety

VTXorcist
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I bought some BlueAnt bluetooth intercoms really cheap off Craigslist for my wife and I to talk during rides. We plan to keep communication to the bare minimum (need a bathroom break-type stuff), but I was wondering if any of you use intercoms and, if so, whether you think they'd be a serious safety concern?

bonehead
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I have 3 buddies that have them on their ultra classics and they say it's just like talking to someone in a car.

dannylightning
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
as long as you dont get distracted and keep your eyes on the road there is no saftey issue, now if you are easily distracted and you or the person your riding with is a jokester and your setting on the bike laughing your butt off about something than there might be a safety concern.

a little convorsation threw one of those is a lot more safe than riding up next to the other bike and trying to yell to each other. i think that would be way more of a distraction than a head set..

Water Warrior 2
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Lynda and I use the Cardo com sets and riding is a lot more fun and less stressful. We can talk about that crazy idiot in a car, plan the next exit, coffee break or a point of interest coming up. Hands signals don't always do it and you can't always get close enough to talk. I consider the com sets a great safety item when riding. The speakers are in the helmets and are perfectly audible with ear plugs.

VTXorcist
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Sweet, sounds good! Now I just need to get her bike back from the shop. For those who followed the saga from a month ago, yeah, turns out it wasn't just a gunked up carb after all and they've spent 3 weeks troubleshooting it off and on. Hoping to get it back by this weekend, but then again, I was hoping to get it back before the last two weekends, too.

On the bright side, they will have tuned/adjusted/cleaned/replaced just about everything you could ever want by the time they're done figuring out what the heck is wrong, so it should run like a frickin' champ.