PDA

View Full Version : The Current Sarris Big Bike

Sarris
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Here is what I ride when not on the old GeeZer. (Photoshop hacked stock photo)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3395/45738463.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

You can't beat the fairing, cruise, and radio/cd player. Super comfy!!

:chop:

alanmcorcoran
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Sarris.

Your bike looks like the model they copied to make the Strat. Except I don't have the fairing, cruise or CD. But the offset gigantic V-twin looks VERY familiar. (Dual front disc?) (Belt drive?) How many CC? what size gas tank? I'd ask mileage, but I'm not really sure what I get on mine. I know there is a big difference between highway and city.

dannylightning
09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
cd player, dang!!!!!!!

Sarris
09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Mine is a 2006 Streetglide w/ the Twin Cam 88 ci (1450cc??) motor & 5 speed trans. It is belt drive w/ dual front disc brakes. It also has a 5 gallon gas tank. I average about 42 mpg. It weighs 850 lbs. wet.

The '07's and above have a 96 ci motor that actually makes less horsepower and has a tendancy to overheat in traffic.

They also have a very whiney 6 speed (5th gear particulary), so I'm not going to upgrade to a newer model until they fix some problems in the newer versions.

Then to top it all off, the newer ones have an aircraft carrier sized 6 gallon gas tank. It's so wide you can play ping-pong on it.

I have almost 36k miles on it and it's been very reliable and is more comfortable than any other bike I've owned. And I'm "Rockin' Down the Highway" (kudos to the Doobie Bros., eh MM?)

:2tup:

alanmcorcoran
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Very similar specs to Strat (5 speed, belt drive, dual front disc, 800ish pounds) The Yamaha V twin is a bit more (1850cc) and the tank is a bit less (4.5) but I think the mileage is about the same. Mine is pretty easy riding. I admire your hanging in there with the GZ, I have finally admitted I don't really want to ride it anymore and have it up for sale. The lack of power, especially uphill, the pokiness of acceleration and zero storage are all the more striking when compared with the beast. If I lived somewhere that was less freeway-centric, and flat, I might hang on to it, but it's just too limited for the terrain and driving conditions where I tend to be going.

Sarris
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Well Floriduh is pretty damn flat and pretty damn straight for the most part. LOL

I use the GeeZer for running to the store and short rides around town when I have limited time to ride. 25 or 30 miles or an hour or so at a time.

It also makes a good spare when the HD is in the shop or when a riding buddy (from out of town or their bike is in for repair) or one of my kids needs a scoot.

It really is quite a well made little bike and so easy to ride. Just don't try and do freeway speeds or more than about 50 miles at a shot and it's perfect.

Remember, its not what you ride, it is the ride. Besides it's not really worth much, so why not keep it?

:)

alanmcorcoran
09-09-2009, 02:42 PM
That was pretty much my attitude until I had to park another car in the garage and now I have to fit the Strat and the GZ on one side. Plus keeping it insured and registered. The spare bike thing IS handy, but remember, my other ride is NOT a Harley ;). If I don't sell it in the 30 days you get on CL, I'll probably keep it. I have to remember to ride it every once in a while to keep it in good running condition.

bonehead
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Keep it!!!!

VTXorcist
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Holy smokes, Sarris, you running dead bodies for the mob in those saddlebags?? They're HUGE!

Sarris
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Naw, those are Fat Bagger extensions (valances). Cool look, huh?? I'll post an actual photo as time permits.

The one above is a photoshop hack I did to see what it would look like with the extensions before I bought them. I also ps'ed out the crash bar and reflectors (hate 'em).

Mine has the valances as shown as well as chromed stock wheels, a K&N billet air cleaner, Screaming Beagle Stage 2 Ignition module and Vance & Hines true duals.

It make 92 HP & 115 lb/ft torque by the HD shop dyno. It is cool running and runs great. Very trouble free.

It IS one bad ass ride!

:skull: :skull:

bonehead
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Naw, those are Fat Bagger extensions (valances). Cool look, huh??
What about being so close to your pipes!

Sarris
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
No problems in 36k miles! They're hard fiberglass and just run around the perimeter and are radiused around the tips, so they're not as close as they appear.

bonehead
09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
No problems in 36k miles! They're hard fiberglass and just run around the perimeter and are radiused around the tips, so they're not as close as they appear.

Really nice! I'm shooting for within the next year for something like yours all the way up to the Ultra Classic.

Dupo
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice ride Sarris ..... one day i'll be able to afford a HD lol.

music man
09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
It also makes a good spare when the HD is in the shop.

What he is really telling you is that BECAUSE he owns a HD he had to keep the GZ because being a Harley, it is ALWAYS in the shop. :poke2: :poke2: :poke2: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: .

Just yankin' Your chain Sarris.

On a side note AlanC, I sat on one of those damn Shaven Woolly Mammoths that you call your motorcycle the other day, DAMN, that is one big bulky mofo, it sure did feel like it would be a smooth riding S.O.B. though.

Water Warrior 2
09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Good looking H-D. I actually had one calling to me a couple years ago but I didn't think the dealer would do a straight across trade for my car. Was in South Dakota stretching my legs in a dealership when this sweet yellow bike said pick me pick me. Sure did look comfy.

alanmcorcoran
09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
On a side note AlanC, I sat on one of those damn Shaven Woolly Mammoths that you call your motorcycle the other day, DAMN, that is one big bulky mofo, it sure did feel like it would be a smooth riding S.O.B. though.

Yes, they are bigger than a GZ, but seriously they handle pretty much the same and don't feel big at all when you are going down the road. You just don't want to set one down or park downhill.

When I'm motoring down the freeway it feels light as a feather. And yes, extremely smooth. (And very quick!) To those interested, I still see brand new 2007's for sale at about 30% off.

Sarris
09-09-2009, 06:43 PM
The 2010 HD's are out with the Street Glide (like mine) starting at $18,999 and the super duper Ultra Limited starts at $24,999. That doesn't include the $1000 HD tax I described above.

Even though there is usually NO discount on HD's, there typically aren't any leftover touring bikes.

O_o O_o

music man
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, they are bigger than a GZ

O_o O_o O_o ??????

Water Warrior 2
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
On our recent ride throught parts of Washington we talked to a rider on an Ultra. A really nice fellow from Vancouver Island who basically lives to ride. The bike was just beautifully equiped with all the toys and unmodified to retain reliability. Bought it in April and already had 40,000 kms(25,000miles)on it. His other bike is in New Zealand where he goes for most of the winter. Sounds like Ultra Retirement to me.

Sarris
09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
:plus1:

burkbuilds
09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Sarris, that's a really nice looking ride, probably won't ever be in my price range though. Enjoy!