PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

RamAir
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I read somewere that after the o3 moddel years so 04 and up Suzuki changed there cylinder head to a two dome for better fuel econamy? Is that really so or are there any better or faster GZ engines to be had? I just ran mine in the ground and will be looking for options.

Sarris
09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
All GZ engines are the same. Minor carb differences, possibly some emission stuff, but any GZ engine should bolt right in.

I read your I ran out of oil thread. This was a MAJOR whoopshit. :oops:

Check out eBay, they're probably your best bet if no one on site has one for sale.

Good luck.

:whistle:

RamAir
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh no thats not what I was asking I know they all bolt up but was there a better cylinder head cuz if I am gonna get another engine I would rather it be newer or better or get better fuel eco.

And its mostly my stupitity that killed it not an Oops. I should know better! Grrrrr

Thanks for your input though. Keep comenting though I wanna know everything I can!

Sarris
09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
All GZ engines are the same.

They've always been "Twin Dome Combustion Chamber" w/ twin exhaust ports.

Isn't this what you wanted to know??

O_o

RamAir
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
lol I suppose I should read more carefully next time! lol But I say that cuz this review I found!

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 66173.html (http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2009-suzuki-gz250-ar66173.html)

read the last parigraph.

Sarris
09-12-2009, 07:31 AM
My Suzuki guru said that the reshaping of the Twin Dome head in 2004 was very minor, but did improve flow slightly and the mpg increased by 1 mpg, but was done mainly to lower emissions and keep EPA compliance.

He also said that the '04 and above US spec run leaner and a little hotter than previous models.

I would suggest to find the best available deal with the lowest mileage and call it a done deal.

:)

RamAir
09-12-2009, 08:23 PM
WOW Man you know a lot. Who is this guru you know??? I wana be his friend. Thanks man I will take your edvise. I am gonna take it to a place in a day or to get a pros opinion cuz my grandpa says it might be the valves ticking, he says they may have bent cuz the motor ran so hot. So we will see.

I will keep you gus posted.

Water Warrior 2
09-13-2009, 05:18 AM
If the engine was smoking hot I would think the tranny gears were too. They would not be very happy spinning around without the oil to lube them. Let's hope for the best but I think you may have a really big paper weight on your hands.

RamAir
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I do use royal purpel in my motor and a k and n oil filter but I think the purpel really helped if it was some cheap oil the bike might have just stopped on me a wial back!

Water Warrior 2
09-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I do use royal purpel in my motor and a k and n oil filter but I think the purpel really helped if it was some cheap oil the bike might have just stopped on me a wial back!
But..........a big but and just an opinion, the bike might have just quit sooner and possibly done less damage overall. A lesser oil might have alerted you sooner before thing really went South. With the tranny running dry, the cam chain running dry, no valve train lubing and the intense heat you are lucky it didn't just lock up at speed and spit you off into the weeds. You are probably looking at a replacement engine and tranny assembly. Not trying to poke at you or insult but I'll bet you will be checking oil on a more regular basis in the future.

RamAir
09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Not trying to poke at you or insult but I'll bet you will be checking oil on a more regular basis in the future.[/quote]

:neener: HAHAHA I know I will. I am takin the car to school now and when I got there and home I checked the oil and tranny fliud on it. I told my friend that I am a car guy cuz I expected it not to eat up that much oil and on a car you have a light and all this stuff and can see it heating up BUT OH WELL.

What I should have done was check it all the time. When I did the oil change I checked it here and there and when it looked to stay in one spot for some time I just forgot about it. :poke2:

Water Warrior 2
09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
A regular check of routine things is a benefit to both bike and rider. At the start of the day before starting the bike check the oil level, operation of ALL lights, operation of ALL controls and give the tires a kick. The tires are checked on a weekly basis for proper pressure so there are no surprises down the road. Also make sure the lighting system is clean and visible. This is my routine. Today I was out for a couple hours on the bike, tomorrow I will be out again and will not just assume things are good to go. I know I might sound like a safety headcase but I want to see and be seen at all times. Take care of the bike for your own health and financial well being.

RamAir
09-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I am totally with you as safe as someone can be is never safe enough! But I am a very, "Sir this is a motor bike and it will work for you" Great I expect a mechine to do what it was made for without any wimper. But over and over again I learn the is not so. After all its not a Toyota!!!! :P hahaha

But please all keep in mind you are talking to a frist time rider first year and all. Being a car guy I do know some stuff and you can carrie over some knowledge but its true cars and bikes or totally different.

Water Warrior 2
09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
RamAir, the transition to 2 wheels is sometimes frustrating but fun overall. It is all about the learning curve that you sometimes aren't aware is even needed when compared to a car. Bikes tend to need a little more TLC but the returns are enormous and put a giggle in your life. Been there done that with a variety of bikes over the years. A couple were a real pain in the butt from day one and most were just proper care and feeding to keep them happy.

RamAir
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Just to let you all know and keep you up to date I just bought a $600cnd used engine with just about the same milege. Started takin the old motor off broke a few screws on the exhost but oh well and do I need to use a type of lock tight?
All the info I can get from you guys on an engine swap would be great. I have downloaded the manuels from this site just to let you all know.

RamAir
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry all that I have been away for so long I have just been so sooo busy! BUT I AHVE GOOD NEWS! She livess! I finnished the engine swap and black beauty got a clean bill oh health from the mechanic! :2tup: I ahve not so detailed pics of the motor change if anyone wants me to put them up I can. She runs great and he told me that the news engines compression is like new so all is well just a few small things to change here and there and she will be in perfict running health.

Again thank you all for you edvise and input I thought hard about what I was going to do and in the end I am happy with how it terned out.