PDA

View Full Version : Head gask. or exhaust man. gask?

tommygun
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Ok, i have a 2008 gz with 14500 miles. i am 175lb and never get over 65mph. I never do jack rabbit take offs and ride for opt. fuel mileage. I have blown a head gasket once and an exhaust gasket twice. I now think I have blown another head gasket. Has anyone had similar problems or did I just get a lemon?

JWR
10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I am going to take a WAG here.
I have no idea why the first head gasket would blow, but I would check the head for a warp before I replaced the gasket.
Just my .02 cents.....

P.S. My 2002 with 13,800 miles has had ZERO problems.
I replaced the spark plug at 10,000 miles .
It has been rode hard and put up wet...

Jerry

tommygun
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
well it has been like 4000 mile since the first gasket. would a warp wait that long?

tommygun
10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
actually probably 6000 miles

Water Warrior 2
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Did you buy the bike new or slightly used and maybe somewhat abused ?

Easy Rider
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
well it has been like 4000 mile since the first gasket. would a warp wait that long?

Maybe. Nobody knows.
IF the head and the cylinder wasn't checked for defects the first time, they definitely should be this time around.

Loose exhaust gaskets aren't that rare; head gasket failures ARE.
What makes you think the head gasket is "blown" again ??

tommygun
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
The bike was purchase new by myself. I think it is "blown" because the bike is making a sound similar to when it happened the firs time and I can smell like a fuel/oil smell near the front to the bike.

tommygun
10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
upon further inspection I believe if it s the it is the gasket between the upper and lower cylinder. Part # 11241-38301 on page 3 of the repair manual. I have black residue (i think oil) around the front of the engine near the gasket. Is this hard to fix? I am a shade tree mechanic and think I can make it happen unless someone has other reservations. Also, would I have to remove the engine entirely to life the cylinder head? An why the heck did it go in the first place? Read my riding habits above.

trykemike
10-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Tommy look at the front of the head between the exhaust pipes. There is a bolt with a lock-washer and nut. It keeps the head tight along with a similiar bolt under the carb at the back of the head. Check if it is loose. if so tighten it up snuggly. Do not over-tighten. I do this periodically to resolve a slight oil sweat when I ride at excessive speeds over 200-300 km runs. Refer to the service manual for the sketch. If that resolves the issue then apply BLUE Locktite to retain the position.

tommygun
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Will riding with this "leak?" harm anything? The bike seems to be running better with the gasket leak.

Water Warrior 2
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Will riding with this "leak?" harm anything? The bike seems to be running better with the gasket leak.

I wouldn't ride with a leak of any sort. The engine is designed to be sealed and tight in all the right places for proper combustion. A leak of any sort may cause a hot spot and warp or weaken the metal. But that's just my opinion.

tommygun
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I took it back to the deal to see if they would warranty the original repair they did on the head gasket. They said they would still warranty (even after 90 days) if it proves nothing else caused it up a bad gasket. I think I will get screwed on this one. A question I wish to pose is this. I was told that I will continue to experience this type of problem by the dealer and some other bikers i know because i ride a 250 at speeds over 55mph for extends periods of time. Do you guys agree or disagree and why?

Water Warrior 2
10-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I took it back to the deal to see if they would warranty the original repair they did on the head gasket. They said they would still warranty (even after 90 days) if it proves nothing else caused it up a bad gasket. I think I will get screwed on this one. A question I wish to pose is this. I was told that I will continue to experience this type of problem by the dealer and some other bikers i know because i ride a 250 at speeds over 55mph for extends periods of time. Do you guys agree or disagree and why?

This may be the wrong bike for your riding needs. Over 55 for extended time and lots of hills where you are running WOT could have a bearing on the issue at hand. I doubt the dealer is BSing you. Ask the dealer what a "Reasonable" upgrade bike would be for your riding needs. He will probably give you a reasonable suggestion/opinion that won't break the bank if you choose to upgrade. Sounds like your dealer is a standup guy and in it for the long haul. Far better than what a lot of us experience with dealers.

tommygun
10-16-2009, 07:36 PM
"55 for extended time and lots of hills where you are running WOT could have a bearing on the issue at hand."

What about all the guys riding 70+ on the interstate? I though I would be on the low end of the spectrum? These engines are said to be "bullet proof"?

tommygun
10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
What about all the guys riding 70+ on the interstate? I though I would be on the low end of the spectrum? These engines are said to be "bullet proof"?[/quote]

Water Warrior 2
10-16-2009, 08:52 PM
N.E. Georgie....lots of hills. How often and how hard is the bike working hauling you up a hill ? Quite possibly you are running on the edge of the GZ's abilities. Or I could be just full of it and you may disregard my opinion.

Easy Rider
10-17-2009, 01:52 PM
because i ride a 250 at speeds over 55mph for extends periods of time. Do you guys agree or disagree and why?

In general, that's BS.......but it depends more on how hard you rev. it in the lower gears than how fast you ride it in 5th. It also depends on how MUCH over 55 and for how long.

[edit] just went back and looked at your first post. It should run "forever" at 60-65......but note the comment about the lower gears.

tommygun
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks Easy thats what i thought?! Water, I am only 175 and the hills are rolling not steep. Most (if not all) the time I pick up speen and ride out each hill in fifth just loosing about 5mph. I don't think that would be pushing it.

Water Warrior 2
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Easy thats what i thought?! Water, I am only 175 and the hills are rolling not steep. Most (if not all) the time I pick up speen and ride out each hill in fifth just loosing about 5mph. I don't think that would be pushing it.

Hmmm, that shouldn't be the problem then. Doesn't sound like you would be struggling to get up a hill. I honestly have no idea now. Maybe you were a bad person in another lifetime and Fate is out to get you.

tommygun
10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Nah, I am a pretty good guy. I am currently waiting to see what happens. The deal sympathized with me. He said that he has never seen these kinds of issues with a 250 this new. He placed a call into his Suzuki rep to see what can be done cost wise. In the mean time the head has been sent out to be trimmed and the gaskets ordered. Just who is going to pay for all this is yet to be seen. I PRAY it is not me. The deal did imply that they would give me a break.

Water Warrior 2
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Nah, I am a pretty good guy. I am currently waiting to see what happens. The deal sympathized with me. He said that he has never seen these kinds of issues with a 250 this new. He placed a call into his Suzuki rep to see what can be done cost wise. In the mean time the head has been sent out to be trimmed and the gaskets ordered. Just who is going to pay for all this is yet to be seen. I PRAY it is not me. The deal did imply that they would give me a break.

Sounds like the dealer is working with you and not just brushing you aside. If the head is actually warped a bit this should solve the problem. And just maybe(?) he can talk the Suzuki rep into covering the work as a condition that was there from day one. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

tommygun
10-28-2009, 09:53 AM
:) Well I finally got my bike back. Problem was a bad crack in my exhaust pipe, that led to lose of back pressure, which led to a hot spot, which led to a warp, which led to a head gasket failure. which is when i noticed the problem and took it in.
The total repairs for the decking of the head, gasket replacement, and some welding was $400. Thankfully the dealer cut be a break and is only charging me $75 for the welding (had it sent out to be done I think). I am very grateful. :biggrin:
I have however lost most confidence in the bike. I have a small payment attached to the darn thing and cant really sell it yet. I if major problems like this keep happening I will be riding a bicycle 25 miles to work each day! :cry: so what do you guys think...place your bets will I continue to have problems or was this all some freak happenstance?

tommygun
10-28-2009, 09:54 AM
By the way i have no clue how the crack in the pipe happened.

Sarris
10-28-2009, 10:19 AM
As reliable as GeeZers are I'd say freak occurence.

But if you ever get another exhaust leak.......... O_o

bonehead
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm going with freak happenstance.

Water Warrior 2
10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Sounds like Suzuki and your dealer worked together to resolve the problem without breaking your wallet. Can you notice any difference in the noise level now with the exhaust welded up ?

Easy Rider
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
As reliable as GeeZers are I'd say freak occurence.

But if you ever get another exhaust leak.......... O_o

+1

Some people just have bad luck with some things though.

I'm betting you will notice right away if you have another exhaust leak though. That DOES tend to make some extra noise.

burkbuilds
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I live in Northwest Georgia like you and I rode my 2005 GZ250 55mph 20-25 minutes each way to school and back 5 days a week and once a week 55mph for about 35-40 minutes each way to visit my mom and various other trips and after 12,000 miles in a year, no problems. So, I guess I'm saying that your experience was unusual and probably completely due to the exhaust leak, now having said that, I have no idea what long term effect or damage that might have caused to the engine, hopefully they got it all fixed and you won't have any more problems with it.

mrlmd1
10-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Good you got it fixed. A crack in the exhaust should have been a warranty problem, especially because you brought it back in a few times with a blown head gasket and they didn't find the cause of the problem right away. Instead of welding the pipe, they should have given you a new exhaust and repaired the whole thing for you (again) for free. But I guess you should consider yourself lucky if you got off for only $75. This has to be a rare, one of a kind problem, I don't think no anyone on here ever had that before.

tommygun
10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Well boys, Upon getting my bike back I took a 8 mile ride to a meeting. Half way there I stopped at a light and looked down to see smoke coming from between my legs! (that is a freaky feeling) I looked at my engine and saw it was covered in oil and smoking. I pulled over and cut the engine off. I called the dealer to come tow it and explained my frustration. They are just as sick of working on it as I am of having it down. I haven't found out what the new problem is yet but am hoping they just didn't tighten it something up? Still think I am prone to freak happenstance? Want me to choose your lottery numbers? I am just that lucky! :retard:

bonehead
10-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Just a hurdle you need to clear. Sometimes it just happens that way. Went thru the same thing with my bobcat. Replaced 1 hyd. hose a week until they were all replaced, they just kept leaking one after another. It will get fixed and you will probably never have any more problems with it. Keep the faith!!!

mrlmd1
10-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Do you have lemon laws in your state? Tell them you want a new bike.

tommygun
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Turned out to me an untightend vaulve inspection cap?! we will see how far i get this time! :??:

tommygun
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
nope lemon laws only apply to cars in GA. I checked.

mrlmd1
10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
You need to find a new dealer or motorcycle mechanic.
I you complain to the management where you had all this work done, or mention you are getting or know a lawyer, they should give you some compensation, like a free oil change or some incentive if they want to keep you as a customer. You could write a letter to Suzuki with a formal complaint about the dealership and the quality of their work, and maybe they would reimburse you your out of pocket costs for all of this because of the shoddy mechanics. At least the dealership should take some action for quality control on their own, so you don't badmouth them for what they deserve. You shouldn't have paid a penny for all that work because of a lousy mechanic.
But hopefully your problem is solved and now you can enjoy the bike without the fear of another breakdown.
None of this was the bike's fault except the cracked pipe, and that is really strange if it was never hit or dropped on it.

tommygun
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
well guys after a long long time I still have no bike. My last post left you with the oil leak from the gasket problems. Well they are still here. Shortly after getting the bike back (October) I got the bike and rode it home. When I arrived home I check the engine and noticed oil on the right side. I though maybe they didn't wipe all of it off from the last fiasco. So I cleaned it up and then rode it to work the next day. Half way there I stopped to check and see if I saw any and....yup still leaking! I bypassed work and took it straight to the shop. I told them i didn't want the bike and that they should work me out a deal to trade the bike in. The service manager got with the sales manager and they decided to help me instead of slipping me the o'l finger. I am grateful for that. The problem.. I am upside-down. Buying a new bike that I though I could get 4 or more years out of left me with dock fees, tax, shipping etc. Plus I sprung for a service plan which tacked on some more.. So, they said they will find me a bike and sell it to me at cost but i would have to wait for something to come in. After a month of waiting they called me up to tell me the service dept. had fixed the bike and taken it out 3 times and that i could ride it till they found me something. SO I took it home and when I arrived...yup still leaking oil. I called them up and they were nooooot happy. The mentioned shooting the bike etc. I can understand their plight. I think they just failed to ride it long enough to get the oil good an hot.

Well has anyone else had this kid of problems. I havent check in in a while. :lol:

JWR
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I was the first to respond in this thread, and at 14444 hard miles, have had no problems.

The only failure that I have had was a headlight bulb, and this happened 1/4 mile from home.

I am really sorry to hear of you on going problems.

I have owned 2 lemon automobiles in my time, when the dealership can not keep them running, an owner sure can't.

Good luck.

tommygun
12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Well my GZ is up for sale. The dealer is trying to help me find a replacement. I know may of you swear by these bike but mine is just not going to cut it. I guess i just need a bigger bike. I feel like i am getting screwed since I wanted to get 4 years out of the bike not 15 months.

mrlmd1
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
It will be cheaper to pay a lawyer to handle this for you and make them give you a new GZ250 than buy a new one or something else from them. You should be reimbursed for all of your out of pocket expenses and inconvenience, especially since this was an ongoing problem from before the warranty expired.The dealer and Suzuki Motors should work something out between the 2 of them, and you will get nothing out of it unless you try.

Sarris
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: to what the Doc. said

I'd sue the shit out of them. :fu: them!!

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

alanmcorcoran
12-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Not sure how often you guys hire lawyers, or maybe they work a lot cheaper in Georgia, but, for damages under 5K it is rarely worth it to hire an attorney. Frankly, I don't recommend lawyers unless you are faced with losing your home, your life savings or your freedom. (Typically the people that come out the best in these suits are each parties lawyers.) However, you can sue the place without an attorney in small claims court. The amount you can sue for varies by state. Sometimes you can get pretty good results just reading up on the process and then letting the dealer know that, if you dont get a replacement bike, you are going to file in small claims. Make sure you have all of your documents and pictures and keep a log of the sordid details.

If you have a friendly lawyer, you might get them to send a nasty letter for a few hundred bucks, but if you plan on court appearances, etc. it's probably going to cost you more than you could buy a used GZ for.

Easy Rider
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
If you have a friendly lawyer, you might get them to send a nasty letter for a few hundred bucks, but if you plan on court appearances, etc. it's probably going to cost you more than you could buy a used GZ for.

Maybe threatening to sic Sarris on them would be more effective.
He can't be THAT far away.

:poke2: :crackup

No....seriously.....
The last Caddy I owned developed an oil leak.....about 3 months before the extended warranty expired. The dealer saw the leak but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Put some dye in the oil and.........then the leak stopped.
Can you see where THIS story is going ???

Sure enough, about 6 months AFTER the warranty expired, the leak came back. This time,they found it and it would cost about $1500 to fix.....because they have to drop the engine/transmission to get to it. OH......and they are oh so sorry but the warranty won't cover it, even though it started 9 months earlier.

I debated raising hell.....even calling Sarris for help :biggrin: ......but decided to see what would happen if I traded it in. Got lucky and they had another used one on the lot a few years newer and gave me top dollar for my trade-in, oil leak and all.

The point of posting all this IS.......he said the dealer was going to "work with him" to solve the problem but didn't say exactly what they proposed to do. Except for all the hassle, it is possible that he will come out OK in the end. Not likely I know, but possible.

Water Warrior 2
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Suzuki has an excellant 30/30 warranty. 30 feet or 30 seconds, which ever comes first. The bike owner is at the mercy of the dealer because the dealer is at the mercy of Suzuki. The dealer can't be expected to eat something Suzuki should be paying for if it truly is a factory flaw.