PDA

View Full Version : Changing the fork

colin
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
New to the forum, apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I am looking to buy my first bike, and the GZ250 has a lot appeal. I want to start on a 250, it seems reliable, right price, etc. I really like the look of a springer fork, and I wanted to know how easy it is to change the fork on a bike ( a general motorcycle question) and more specifically how this would affect the ride and handling of the gz250.

Sarris
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
You'll have a very tough time finding anything to fit the GeeZer without some seroius frame mods.

I'd suggest learning to ride on the GZ and then buying a springer bike factory made. Springers (HD's anyways) have different head rake angle and are a bit different to ride as this is "old" technology suspension.

Welcome to the forum.

:biggrin:

Easy Rider
12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I'd suggest learning to ride on the GZ and then buying a springer bike factory made.

And to elaborate on that just a bit.......

You NEED to learn to ride.....several thousand miles at least.....before you even think about making mods that affect the handling....... like lowering, different size tires, or a different front end.

It is likely that you will own MANY different bikes over the course of your riding career and will have an opportunity to "trade up" to bikes with different looks and more available after-market mods.

Often the bikes that are the most interesting to LOOK AT are not the ones that ride the best.
A rookie should be more concerned with riding safe than looking good !!! :biggrin:

colin
12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Appreciate the quick feedback. No worries, I will be very safe. I will take your guys' advice and not mess with the fork.

mrlmd1
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
It probably wouldn't help the ride or handling and would probably hurt it. Besides, a mod like that would cost more than the bike is worth and kill it's resale value.