PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars///Grips ???????

terakilla
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi im new to this forum, I have a 01 GZ that I have wrecked several times. All in all the bikes in good cond but the handlebars were bent and the grips pretty messed up. The bars I got pretty close to straight, but not perfect. Im wibdering has anyone taken the complete handlebar/ switch assembly with all levers and brake stuff, basically the whole handlebar assy off a harley or the like. I already know the stock bars are 7/8 vs the harley 1", im willing to fab what I need for the conversion, but will I have trouble hookin everything together, Brakes? Throttle? Also if I cant find the bars I want and have to stick with my stock switches/levers/throttle, What are the options on replacing my torn up rubber grips? Any advice will help, im going for a streetfighter look similer to Shawns from the Mine Transformed in the pics section, I like the black bars, maybe some chrome grips. Thanks

Water Warrior 2
12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
If you have wrecked several time you certainly DO NOT want to go into a costly one off mod that will likely get wrecked sooner than later. Have a local shop put on stock bars and new grips. Spend the rest of your hard earned money on riding lessons and riding gear. I fully understand youth and enthusiasm but you are going for broke and going to get broken. Please ride safer.

JWR
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
If the bars that you are changing to are much different, most of the cables will have to be replaced. There is not a lot of extra stretch in them.

You can get extra grips at any motorcycle/atv store or online.

p.s. you only have to post in one place, if you hit the (view active topics) you can new post in the entire forum.

Easy Rider
12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I already know the stock bars are 7/8 vs the harley 1", im willing to fab what I need for the conversion, but will I have trouble hookin everything together, Brakes? Throttle?

I think you would be making a BIG mistake trying to make everything fit on 1" bars......unless you are going to do a full-on custom job.....and even then, you probably could get something close to what you want in a 7/8 bar anyway. Keep looking; trying to "adapt" 7/8 controls to a 1" bar would be a ROYAL PITA.......as would getting bars that are much wider 'cause, as someone else said, there ain't much slack.

A 7/8 set that is narrower or farther forward shouldn't be a problem.

terakilla
12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
THe bike is just one of my lesser vehicles, you could say. Im a very good fabber and improviser. Im thinking I can cut whatever electrics I need to and exxtend them. the throttle cable shouldnt be hard, its just a cable, the brakes my main concern, but its really just a hose. im not gunna spend much money, theres a big local bike junk yard and theres always the net for cheap stuff. The thing is I never liked the grips or switches or the handlebars on this bike in general. I have found 1" mounts that look like they would fit the holes on the upper fork dealio that the stock ones attach with. I NEVER get shops to do my work, ive done many projects from putting a LS1 in a 1970 pickup to a complete resto on a 88 stang w/ supercharger, so im confident in my welding/cutting/fab work. Thanks for the advice, looks like I might be the first to try this kind of swap, might take a while but ill try to make a guide.

JWR
12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Knock yourself out Bro.

What you got to lose???