PDA

View Full Version : New Jacket.

Water Warrior 2
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Have been considering a new jacket for some time now and finally made a decision. Just ordered a First Gear jacket from New Enough that is in their closeout section. $139 buys a lot of jacket if you aren't fussy about the only color available. Check out the First Gear Kilimanjaro 5.0 textile jacket. Has many features that I want at a mighty fine price. The one priority was a 2-way main zipper on the front. This was not memtioned by N.E. but is listed on the First Gear website. This jacket would be far north of $400 in the GWN. Gotta love N.E.

Oh yah, forgot to mention, these jackets come in womens versions and tall sizes. Be the first on your block to have a drab sand colored jacket. LOL.

New GZ250
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice looking jacket, the price you paid is a steal! Enjoy and stay warm!

JWR
12-12-2009, 09:08 PM
WOW!!!
Nice jacket. I always buy a size larger for extra layering.

Good buy.

Should be in the 60s here Monday, already got a ride planned.

Water Warrior 2
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Looking forward to getting the jacket. The liner will make a nice everyday jacket and I can wear my Heated liner under the jacket with or without heat. Should make for a nice combo when riding in colder and/or wet conditions. What I really like are the variety of pockets and storage. A regular short jacket just doesn't have any pockets worth using. Should cost a total of $165 with exchange so I won't complain in the least. Merry Xmas to me.

patrick_777
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
For everyone, Motorcycle Superstore has FirstGear TPG Ranier Jackets on clearance for $99. I just got this very same jacket in Black/Yellow for $139 at NewEnough. These are superb winter jackets, and I've already worn the inner liner as a non-riding windbreaker way more than my normal colder weather jacket. I'm just saying, it's an incredible deal, and anyone who rides in weather under 50 degrees should seriously think about it.

Motorcycle Superstore Closeouts - FG Ranier TPG (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10861/CITEM/Firstgear-Rainier-Jacket-Closeouts.aspx)

Water Warrior 2
12-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Patrick, that is a fantastic price. Last of the 2009 stock and a tremendous buy. One of the best jackets on the market for a dime store price.

mrlmd1
12-26-2009, 02:47 PM
How do the sizes run in that FG TPG jacket?
I think I'm going to get the red one. You can't beat that price.

Water Warrior 2
12-26-2009, 04:56 PM
I think you will find the jackets run a bit big but would be great for layering in cold temps. But did you see the Ladies model is on for 69 bucks ????????????? Awesome price.

patrick_777
12-26-2009, 05:00 PM
They're very adjustable size-wise. I always buy jackets one size over my normal jacket size - I bought an XXL and it has plenty of space for extra layers. The number of pockets and vents this has is crazy. There's hidden zippers everywhere on it.

I rode in 30 degree weather the other day with this jacket on and my torso was not the least bit cold. No wind incursion anywhere.

Water Warrior 2
12-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Patrick I am so tempted to get a jacket like yours but one size larger than the one I just got. New Enough suggested getting one size smaller because the jackets fit a bit large. So I got a medium and it is a touch snug with the liner but will be great without the liner in summer. A jacket like yours is top of the line at even a better price than mine which was darn cheap. Getting one in large would be about right or a smiget loose for cool riding and layers. I seem to be between a medium and large for a really comfy fit. Gotta think about this, I went a few steps high on the MasterCard for Xmas.

burkbuilds
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the link Patrick. I just ordered a Rainier Jacket from them. I have a nice winter jacket except it isn't waterproof, which has presented me with the choice of riding warm for a while then getting wet and having to dry out my winter jacket later or riding in a liner with rain gear on top, which isn't always warm enough. This jacket should solve that situation and $99 was a great price in my opinion!

patrick_777
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Don't forget that you can take the liner out and use it as a wind/water breaker on its own. It's awesome. Hope you like it.

Water Warrior 2
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Don't forget that you can take the liner out and use it as a wind/water breaker on its own. It's awesome. Hope you like it.

But not a cold wind. The material is breathable. Already found that out. It will breath much better than my JR textile jacket.

greenhorn
12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
For the women... I ordered but wound up returning this jacket for n other reason than I wanted a neon green mesh instead. But the fit was right on and the jacket VERY well made. Just had to let it go but would highly, highly recommend to the ladies!!!

Mary

burkbuilds
12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
My First Gear Jacket just arrived! Wow, that was fast shipping. This seems to be a really great jacket, well, I guess I'll just have to go out for a ride and test it now!

Water Warrior 2
12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
My First Gear Jacket just arrived! Wow, that was fast shipping. This seems to be a really great jacket, well, I guess I'll just have to go out for a ride and test it now!

So of course we need a ride report and evaluation of the jacket.

burkbuilds
12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Ride Report on the new 1st Gear Jacket: Today I rode from Atlanta to the Chattanooga area wearing my new First Gear Jacket. Temperature 39 - 43 degrees during the ride, Foggy, slight mist, no sunshine, two hour ride. First, the jacket is heavy, about the weight of my good leather jacket, but it is not as restrictive in movement as my leather jacket nor is it as restrictive as my "summer" armored jacket. This jacket uses a new technology for the armor, it is very flexible and comfortable while you move at normal speed, if the armor is moved suddenly (like an impact)it's molecules link together almost instantly to protect you, as soon as the movement returns to a slower speed, the molecules "unlink" and you get the flexibility back, very cool! With my other jacket I removed the armor because it was to cumbersome, not the case with this jacket. Secondly, this jacket is waterproof, so I didn't have to choose between a warm jacket and a dry rain suit jacket today which was nice.
Warmth: I wore my heated liner underneath, but I never needed to turn it on, that has not been the case with my other Winter jacket even though I was wearing two more layers with my old jacket and I decided to just wear a tank top and a t-shirt today. Normally I will have a long sleeve thermal and a lined long sleeve flannel shirt on as well. I was very comfortable even after two hours of riding, the only thing I did use was my heated grips to keep my hands comfortable. I was very pleased with this jacket and I'd recommend it to anyone who plans on riding in cooler weather!
Thanks again to Patrick for the link to the closeout prices, I checked the MSRP on this jacket at the manufacturer's website and it lists for $499.00 which is way, way , way out of my price range, but $99.00 was a bargain!
If you are into having lots of pockets and zipper places, you will be happy with this jacket. I've never seen so many pouches and cubby holes to put stuff in, and most of them are waterproof too! There's even a pouch on the back and a place to hook up a battery operated light to make you more visible (they sell the light for about $10).
You can remove the liner for use by itself or so you can wear the outer part without the liner in warmer weather. This thing has built in vents you can open up to increase the ventilation for warm weather riding too. The jacket is extremely wind proof too! I didn't feel any drafts during my ride and it was comfortable to wear.
I have to give this jacket top ratings all around, I was very impressed and if you are looking to replace an older jacket or get your first winter riding jacket you could not do any better than this one especially if you can snag it for $99!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!

Water Warrior 2
01-01-2010, 01:08 AM
BB, that is a well written report. Got one question though. Did you leave in the jacket liner ? I am assuming you did or you would have felt a bit chilled. The outer shell is breathable and waterproof but the inner liner is both waterproof and wind proof.
I was tempted to order one but the credit card took a beating this year so I will wait to see what happens next year during closeout days.

patrick_777
01-01-2010, 01:21 AM
I wore just the inner liner as a jacket the other day and I can tell you, for certain, that it is not breathable. That thing was like a sauna. However, at speed in cold air, it is SO very nice to have in.

greenhorn
01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
For everyone, Motorcycle Superstore has FirstGear TPG Ranier Jackets on clearance for $99. They are down to $69. At least in the women's version .... One is on its way to my house!!!!
OH. I see I posted earlier. Thought .... and ... BOUGHT!!! :2tup:
M

greenhorn
01-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I was tempted to order one but the credit card took a beating this year so I will wait to see what happens next year during closeout days.

I hear 'ya there WW. With my husband "retiring" (sold his half of a masonry business) we are adjusting to just my income... thus the delay in ordering that jacket...

Next year's version of this jacket promises to be much lighter. the TPG is pretty heavy which stopped me at first, but when it dropped in price & the new version is around $400.... well a person has to do what a person has to do.

The new protective gear is made of something like do2? something like that, anyway, on the molecular level it changes form & on impact supposedly providing superior protection when needed, but very light in weight when not .

Cold up there WW? Dan is waiting until it warms up to -20? to go grocery shopping. :lol: I shouldn't laugh... I am back to work on Monday :whistle:

Mary in MN

patrick_777
01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
The new protective gear is made of something like do2? something like that, anyway, on the molecular level it changes form & on impact supposedly providing superior protection when needed, but very light in weight when not .

This is the next level of that. (http://www.wimp.com/puttyshock/)

Water Warrior 2
01-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Mary. Present temp is 37 F with a light rain. Don't know if I could survive 20 below anymore after spending the last few winters here on the coast. But as I have found through experience, the humidity at these temps in Squamish is really bone chilling. I can actually stay warmer with heated gear and riding than getting bundled up in regular street clothes and sitting outside at Star Bucks with the coffee buds.
Good for you and the new jacket no matter what the color. The quality, utility factor and newer type of armor is a fantastic buy.
Good to hear hubby retired, now get him on a bike to keep him busy and smiling like a kid.

Water Warrior 2
01-02-2010, 02:34 PM

This is the next level of that. (http://www.wimp.com/puttyshock/)

Neat stuff. The possibilities are endless.

burkbuilds
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
WW- I did leave the liner in and was very comfortable. This morning it was down to 13 degrees here in Rossville, Ga. It's supposed to be that again in the morning and for the next couple of days. I have to head back to Atlanta tomorrow afternoon so I guess I'll get to try this jacket out in some fairly cold temps for a two hour ride. It hasn't topped 32 here in a couple of days and the wind is blowing pretty good, wind chills down to 5-10 degrees they say.

Water Warrior 2
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
BB, remember the windchill will be far greater once you start moving on the bike. Plan on a few stops to thaw out. The cold can seep into your bones and hypothermia can set in without you realizing it. You might find a rain suit over your other gear will make a big difference. Oh yah, use the built in rain hood(new jacket) to protect the back of your neck. I recently got a bala clava and it is very nice under the helmet.

alanmcorcoran
01-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Opsgear is closing out the Maxit Headgator, a tubular thingie for your head/neck that is very nice for cold weather.

Strongly recommended:

http://www.opsgear.com/Maxit-Headgator- ... dgator.htm (http://www.opsgear.com/Maxit-Headgator-6-in-1-Headgear-p/maxit-headgator.htm)

mrlmd1
01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
My jacket finally arrived today, and man, that thing is heavy - should be pretty warm but I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to go out for a ride, or I may put it on tonight when it's 30 outside when I go to walk the dog to try it out.

Water Warrior 2
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Walk really fast and see if it is wind proof. :lol:

burkbuilds
01-04-2010, 11:46 PM
ww-Thanks for the tips. I do wear a balacava in this type of weather. I will probably be using my heated gear as well if it is in the 20's or lower when I'm riding. I've got a short (20 min) ride to do about 9 am and that should give me a little bit of an idea about how it's going to go when it is this cold.

mrlmd1
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
WW - I did and it is.
It was about 30 outside with a 25 mph wind and the jacket is actually impervious to wind and quite warm. I should have had a woolen ski cap on 'cause I almost froze my ears off. But the jacket should be good. It's a little longer than the insulated leather one I have and that should make a bit of difference too.
Still have to work on something for the legs. My leather overpants block the wind but they can get a little cold and really need some insulation like fleece pants underneath maybe. Or, I'll just try out my snowmobile suit. It would be nice if that was armored.
How much money can you spend on this stuff just to try and be happy? It seems like it never ends.

Easy Rider
01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Still have to work on something for the legs.

Visit a farm supply or big box sporting goods story (Bass Pro) and look at bib overalls, Carhart or similar. Might even have insulated ones in your neighborhood.....after the little cold snap this week. :roll:

I've got a new snowmobile suit but haven't tried it out yet. I don't even like to go out in the CAR at -5 F. :cry:

Water Warrior 2
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
WW - I did and it is.
It was about 30 outside with a 25 mph wind and the jacket is actually impervious to wind and quite warm. I should have had a woolen ski cap on 'cause I almost froze my ears off. But the jacket should be good. It's a little longer than the insulated leather one I have and that should make a bit of difference too.
Still have to work on something for the legs. My leather overpants block the wind but they can get a little cold and really need some insulation like fleece pants underneath maybe. Or, I'll just try out my snowmobile suit. It would be nice if that was armored.
How much money can you spend on this stuff just to try and be happy? It seems like it never ends.

What ??? You have a snowmobile suit in Florida ??? Here's an idea if you are really serious about cold weather riding. Snow suit and under armor. Fits right on the old body and stays in place.
As for how much money can you spend............lots and lots and lots and then some more. Everytime I think we have what we need there is a new product out there aimed at the wallet and the result is generally more smiles and comfort. If I had the courage and patience to add up the cost of bike mods and different gear I would probably have a heart attack. But what the hay, riding keeps us young and looking into the future for more rides to places not yet visited and friends we haven't met yet.

mrlmd1
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I got the snowmobile suit when I lived in NJ and had to go out to the boatyard in NYC to do some winter chores on my boat. It was about the only thing I could wear and stay warm and still move around in. And as I never throw anything out that's still useful, I naturally brought it down here when I moved, never thinking that some day I might actually put it on again. But I think I'm going to try it. The colors, blue and red, might be weird enough to attract some attention too, but who gives a crap. I might be able to fit my armored jacket under it and if I ever hit the ground, being so padded, I would probably bounce, but at least I'm sure I'd be warm. Would probably work up a sweat in the 5 min. or so it takes to get dressed. This whole thing is a real sickness but I guess we all got it.

Water Warrior 2
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
A sickness for sure. Gotta check the weather and try for a medicating ride.

greenhorn
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I got the snowmobile suit when I lived in NJ and had to go out to the boatyard in NYC to do some winter chores on my boat. It was about the only thing I could wear and stay warm and still move around in. And as I never throw anything out that's still useful, I naturally brought it down here when I moved, never thinking that some day I might actually put it on again. But I think I'm going to try it. The colors, blue and red, might be weird enough to attract some attention too, but who gives a crap. I might be able to fit my armored jacket under it and if I ever hit the ground, being so padded, I would probably bounce, but at least I'm sure I'd be warm. Would probably work up a sweat in the 5 min. or so it takes to get dressed. This whole thing is a real sickness but I guess we all got it.

I love your attitude!!!! I'm the same way. I'd rather be safe than sorry!!! Good for you & being from MN I'm pretty sure I know just exactly what that snowmobile suit looks like. I just wish mine would still fit me!!!

Mary :roll:

burkbuilds
01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Okay, I was out riding this morning in 17 degrees, about 20 minutes then inside for a while, then back out and rode for about 45 minutes. My conclusion was that although the heated gear (vest, gloves and grips) and the nice 1st gear jacket made it bearable, they didn't make it pleasant. My upper body was "chilly" but not cold and my fingers were cool, but not painful. Mostly though, my toes and knees got like ice by the end of my 45 minute ride and so I decided that I'd take the truck to Atlanta tonight, especially since there's a chance of precipitation there on Thursday. I guess what I'm saying is that I wimped out! Oh well, I'll be back by the weekend and maybe we will have a heatwave into the 20's or something!

Water Warrior 2
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Stop calling yourself a wimp. A strategic retreat to the truck is a wise move. The truck is a safety net and meant to be used when warranted. Drive safely and live to ride another day. I am sure your family wants you to return unfrozen and happy to be alive.

burkbuilds
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks WW, it was nice to have the option to take the truck this time. It's been out of reach for several months because we had an unexpected house guest that needed transportation to college and work while she went to court to get her own car (and other personal possessions) back, which took about three months. The courts may be slow, but justice was eventually served and she finally got her car and title back about the middle of December, which meant that I now had something else to use to get back and forth other than my bike, for the first time in several months! I looked at the forecast here for Friday night and it's supposed to hit 12 degrees! That's pretty cold for Atlanta even if it's just a "brisk" day for all you northerners! Oh well, I decided to take the bike in and let the dealer give it a nice going over before the next semester starts for me. It should be ready to pick up Saturday morning.

alanmcorcoran
01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
There's nothing like a lack of options to firm up one's resolve to tackle the cold.

patrick_777
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Or sheer boredom, in my case.

Water Warrior 2
01-06-2010, 02:35 AM
BB, how many miles on the Vulcan now?

mrlmd1
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I just tried out my new First Gear jacket over the Columbia snowsuit I have, and amazingly I was able to get it all on and all zipped up without any difficulty. I had a little trouble getting my helmet strap latched on under my chin as it was tough to bend my arms up that high, but other than that the whole thing was pretty comfortable. It's was about 40 when I went out for a half hour ride at 60 mph - that translates to a wind-chill of about 25, and I was very comfortable, No wind came in anywhere at all, and with a scarf on, none up my neck into the helmet either. A snow suit is definitely a good option for winter riding and probably much cheaper than motorcycle suits. If you don't want to by a whole one piece suit, at least look for a pair of snowmobile pants. They block the wind fine and are also insulated, they are just not armored. I'm sure this outfit would have stood up to temps another 20 degrees lower.

alanmcorcoran
01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Be careful with scarves. They have a nasty tendency to become unwound and wrapped up in moving parts. I have a personal ban on scarves on snowmobiles that I think I would also extend to motorcycles. I think Opsgear is out of the Maxit Gators, but these work as a safer alternative.

40's not really that cold, but I agree - snowmobile suits do an excellent job of keeping one warm when going at ridiculous speeds in cold weather. But they suck once you've dropped your Polaris into a powder trough... or through the lake ice.

mrlmd1
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
The scarf goes around and both ends are tucked way inside the jacket, not like the barnstormers in the open cockpits with them blowing in the breeze.
If I got caught in the rain with that on, I'd probably put the rain suit over it so it doesn't get soaked, altho it's supposed to be waterproof.

patrick_777
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
not like the barnstormers in the open cockpits with them blowing in the breeze.

But that looks so cool!

mrlmd1
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
If you make it just long enough so it doesn't reach down below the seat and get caught up in the wheel, I guess it might be safe enough,
But if it got into the wheel it would probably break your neck as the bike went down. Or catch fire from an exhaust pipe's heat.
Better keep it tucked inside, Who wants to look cool riding a motorcycle anyway?
Actually I tuck it inside so nobody sees it.

patrick_777
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Scarf in the wheel...yuck. That could get messy.

burkbuilds
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
WW- just under 9700 miles on my Vulcan in 7 months. I think I made a good decision about taking the truck to Atlanta this week, looks like we are going to get about an inch of snow tomorrow. With Atlanta drivers, that will probably cause about the same amount of mayhem that two feet of snow gives to a major northern city! People down here can't even drive in the rain, much less anything more slippery. For that matter, they aren't even very good at driving when it's dry and sunny.

Water Warrior 2
01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
BB, that is a fair bit of distance in just a short time. Have you had any issues with the bike ? How would you rate it as a commuter bike ? What have you done so far to keep it safe and in good repair ?

burkbuilds
01-07-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm afraid we've highjacked this "New Riding Jacket" post, sorry. WW- I'll send you a PM on that.

Water Warrior 2
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Never a problem. When we stray off topic it is still good.