PDA

View Full Version : adding a kick starter?

skierd
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Anyone here ever try to add a kick start to their GZ? I've been contemplating a TU250 and noticed that the bike has a plug for a kick starter and noted that the motor (lower end anyways) has been used on a couple different bikes including the GZ. I was thinking that a way to get some weight off the bike would be going to a kick starter. I'd be using it as a commuter and daily rider, but I can't help but think about copying a grasstracker and making it a mini adventure bike. :retard:

FWIW I had a real dual sport up to New Years Eve, when my '08 WR250R was stolen, but I'm thinking about something more pavement oriented next as the vast majority of the dirt I get to ride are fire roads and gravel, nothing really gnarly. I know it won't be as good off road and is short about 10hp compared to the WR, but with all the reviews of the bike raving how fun it is I'm having a hard time getting it out of my head.

Easy Rider
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Anyone here ever try to add a kick start to their GZ? I've been contemplating a TU250 and noticed that the bike has a plug for a kick starter ..........

No, bad idea.

That indentation in the mold for the case is just that. The internals of the transmission are likely entirely different and would not accomodate the kick starter. If you want to lighten the load by 20 pounds or so..........go on a diet !!

Seriously, you can't remove the battery so just removing the starter would be insignificant.......and then you would somehow have to plug that hole. And you would likely hate yourself the first time that it was difficult to start.

Sarris
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
:plus1: to what ER said.

On top of that, there are no new kickstart parts. You'd have to get a side case, trans, and the kickstart parts (or entire old engine/trans) from a 20+ year old GZ. The removal of the old parts, refurb, and reinstallation would be cost prohibitive.

As ER said, the bike won't run without a battery (unless you change to a magneto ignition), so the only weight savings would be the 12 to 15 lb. starter. Then adding back in the kickstart parts would negate most of the weight savings.

I guess my question is, the electric starter system on the GeeZer is bullet proof, so why mess up a good thing? :??: :??:

What are you trying to accomplish with this mod? :??: :??:

skierd
01-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Nothing in particular, I just thought it would be a cool touch for a cafe conversion and a potential way to drop some weight off the bike (and I am working on losing weight myself too), but with no parts readily available that little project in particular is a dead end. Not a big deal, I'm still smitten with the little bike. :)

Thanks for the info.

Sarris
01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm a member of the continual weight loss club.

I'm 6'-1" and 285 lbs, and the GeeZer runs great for me , but wont go over about 68 mph with my fat ass aboard.

If you REALLY want to travel, get a Harley Glide (Street, Electra, Road, any are a good choice).

IMHO, and for my needs, they are the best! (American made too!!)

:2tup:

skierd
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Honestly a $15000+ 700lb+ motorcycle is the antithesis of what I want and if I did I'd be getting a BMW GS or GS Adventure. Cruiser seating positions really don't suit me.

bonehead
01-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm a member of the continual weight loss club.

I'm 6'-1" and 285 lbs, and the GeeZer runs great for me , but wont go over about 68 mph with my fat ass aboard.

If you REALLY want to travel, get a Harley Glide (Street, Electra, Road, any are a good choice).

IMHO, and for my needs, they are the best! (American made too!!)

:2tup:
My dream bike is the Ultra Classic, and maybe someday soon it will be in my driveway. :rawk:

Sarris
01-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Try $20,000 and 850 lbs wet.

To each their own.

Go for it Bone, you won't be sorry!

:rawk:

dubwise
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
The GZ push starts just fine.