PDA

View Full Version : Just playing around with her.

patrick_777
04-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Clubmans and Bar-end mirrors.

http://s2.postimage.org/4bHtA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts4bHtA)

http://s2.postimage.org/4bMsS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts4bMsS)

http://s4.postimage.org/ybq1i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVybq1i)

music man
04-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I am going to have to give that look the thumbs down on the GZ, It just don't fit it at all.

patrick_777
04-04-2010, 04:29 PM
It's kinda fun to ride, but i'm a little scrunched up on it with the pegs as far forward as they are. I was thinking about taking the bags and rear seat off just to mess around. It's definitely not a permanent situation. I was just bored.

patrick_777
04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Rode it around for about 45 minutes. It's actually dangerously fun the way it is now. Definitely not a duration bike though.

Sarris
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree..... dump the bags and passenger seat. Tough on the back isn't it?

:rawk:

alantf
04-05-2010, 05:04 AM
.... dump the bags

Then where do you put all the bits that won't fit in your pocket? Wear a rucksack? :??:

patrick_777
04-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Backpack. I hardly used the saddlebags anyway.

bonehead
04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
My back hurts just looking at it.

alantf
04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
My back hurts just looking at it.

And it'd hurt even more if you were wearing a backpack! :whistle:

bonehead
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Tried the backpack once. Really did'nt like the weight pulling at my back at speed. Good friend gave me a rack bag that would'nt fit his softail. Holds all I need for a 2 night trip.

patrick_777
04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I seldom carry anything really heavy in a backpack, just a laptop and thermos usually. If I'm just out riding I generally don't have any luggage with me.

I haven't gone overnight on the bike yet (that's a goal for this year - and moto camping) but I'm looking at tailbags. for larger luggage issues.

patrick_777
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
A couple more adjustments to the look. Like I said, not perm, but just playin'.

http://s3.postimage.org/SPyFS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqSPyFS)

mrlmd1
04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Do those mirrors on those bars hit your legs when you turn, and how easy are they to see out of?
I don't particularly like that look and think they are much harder to use then eye level mirrors because it takes longer to find them by looking down and your arms may be in the way.

patrick_777
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
They don't hit my legs and I got used to using them on the SV. When I had them in the low position (there's above or below the bars) they were blocked pretty badly by my hands. When I switched them to the above position, they aren't blocked at all, and I have a really good view behind me.

There is a big distance you have to look away from in front of you to the mirror, so you can miss stuff.

Sarris
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
My architects eye says you're about 90% there. Some lower rear shocks (black?) might help as well as removing the black plastic below the rear fender and maybe using a side mount tag. You also might remove the chrome rear fender rail covers too.

The front end is much cleaner without the fender, but flying road grime and sand is a bitch.

Looks much better. Keep going!

:cool:

alantf
04-07-2010, 05:22 AM
To my eye, a cut down front mudguard (fender?) might improve the look. :2tup:

Maggie
04-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Hey now, startin' to look kinda sexy! The only thing that would bother me (besides my old back) is the extra width with the mirrors...not good for filtering through stopped traffic (we get to do that legally here in CA).

music man
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Not good for filtering through stopped traffic (we get to do that legally here in CA).

I like that nicer sounding word you guys have come up with for that, "filtering" LOL. kind of like "double parking" a nicer way to say, parking in the middle of the road. :lol:

alanmcorcoran
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I have had some mirror-on-mirror action whilst "filtering"...

Sarris
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Alan, what is the real "Lane Splitting" law in California?

Looks like some very scary handy maneuvering. You obviously use the technique, so ... give us the scoop-de-poop.

Looks way to easy for some butthole to nail you.

O_o :sad:

alanmcorcoran
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Sarris,

The law is a bit sketchy, and somewhat selectively enforced.

From the "Driver" manual: Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles, which is commonly called “lane splitting.”

From the "Motorcyle" Manual: Cars and motorcycles each need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe.
Riding between rows of stopped or moving cars in the same lane can leave you vulnerable. A car could turn suddenly or change lanes, a door could open, or a hand could come out of a window. Discourage lane sharing by others. Keep a center position whenever drivers might be tempted to squeeze by you.

From the CHP website: "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible under California law but must done in a safe and prudent manner."

There used to be verbiage about not going more than ten miles faster than the traffic, not doing it when the traffic is stopped, doing it only when the traffic was going under a certain speed, etc. but that appears to have been removed.

There is a an ongoing debate about whether you can do it between a car pool lane and the regular lanes. Some say yes, some say no, it's basically up to the LEO that might be giving you a ticket.

I do it for one reason and one reason only - to get home a few minutes faster or to get where I'm going on time. I only split when traffic is either stopped or going very slowly. I've had two mirror on mirror incidents, neither one of which I think caused any damage, nor did I stop to chat about them. Just minor bumps that resulted in my mirror getting pushed forward out of position.

It's probably as dangerous as it looks, but, it's also quite exhilarating (and, I'll admit, fun!) It's much easier to do on the Geezer (one of the reasons I ride the Geezer to work) but I've done it on the Strat on the feeeway plenty o times. You have to be hyper vigilant of the traffic, where it's moving, watch the drivers, watch the taillights, be careful when approaching exits, etc. I have had people deliberately not move over but no one has ever deliberately moved INTO my space (to block) A surprising amount of people WILL MOVE OVER to let you by. Seriously! Most of the time there is enough room to get past regular cars without them doing anything. You have to be more judicious passing Trucks and SUVS. If you get in the right rhythm, in slow moving traffic you can sort of slalom between the two lanes of traffic using the "cushion" space.

Here's a funny story. On my way back from a certain dispensary, with my medicine in my saddle bags, I encountered a backup on my two-lane commuter thoroughfare, La Palma Avenue. I commenced into the breach, zigging, zagging, juking and duking astride the Geezer. Hearing the sound of a "Bigger Dog", I glanced in the mirror and here comes Honda mounted Mr. CHP! The traffic being stopped at this point, and me having been somewhat aggressive with the sneaking through, I wasn't sure what was gonna happen. I meekly pulled over into a gap between the stopped vehicles, and Johnny Law just accelerated right past me.

Bottom line sir: it's like you and ATTGATT. There's no question that you are better off not doing it, but, it's legal, it's fun, and, well, I'm probably gonna do it until I crash into some road raged SUV and have to have his driver side mirror excised from my face. I don't recommend it to those that want to live long.

Sarris
04-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm assuming from your tone that a lot of riders get hurt doing it? Pullouts or mostly mirrors?

:??: :??:

alanmcorcoran
04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Actually, I don't think so. I can't say for sure, but, there are a LOT of motorcycle accidents out here, fatal and otherwise and I often read the reports. Most of the ones where people are seriously hurt are the single motorcycle/curve too fast and the left turn in front of me didn't see him variety. The next two big categories are lane changes into the motorcyclist, (but just the run of the mill lane changes) and "motorcyclist lost control" (whatever that means?)

I thinkl the lane splitters usually don't get hospital hurt because they aren't going that fast and it tend to be more of a "glancing" blow rather than a, well, "dead" stop.

In fact, if you Google a bit, you'll find some stats that say that lane splitting (allegedly) reduces rear end collisions. It's a pretty controversial debate. I must say, I am surprised they allow it, but I think one reason is, we have a lot more motorcycle officers in the state (compared to others) and I think it's thanks to them (and their endorsement) that it is allowed. I suspect that even our law enforcement brothers have a strong allegiance to the overall biker community.

alantf
04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I suspect that even our law enforcement brothers have a strong allegiance to the overall biker community.

That's strange .......... I've found that both in England, & over here, the most arrogant of the policemen are put into the traffic department, then the most arrogant policemen in the traffic department are put on motorcycle patrol!

drivefasttakechances
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
dump the rear fender and add rigid struts haha then u got a cafe bobber :)

drivefasttakechances
09-20-2010, 11:42 AM
and where did you get the mirrors

68vette
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a green one love that color...and have never considered a black one at all...but now that I have seen yours...I like it...could really get creative with black and ......., and most new ones are black.

Jimmy in NC

The leaves are georgous in the mtns now....put about 120 miles on my 51 ford street rod today.