PDA

View Full Version : So far...

Mercutio57
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
OK, here she is so far: Factory emblems removed, chrome trim and original artwork added to tank, M/C Enterprises engine guard. On order is a Slipstreamer HD Mini-Police windshield. The jacket, for those who care about such things, is a Schott NYC 641-- clearly we are going for an "old school" look here! And no, I don't ride without a helmet...

blaine
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
NICE!! I also have the chrome trim,put it around the fenders & windshield to.Look at my avatar to see if you like it.

Mercutio57
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Looks good! What windshield is that?

blaine
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
It is a SPITFIRE shield,fits the bike well.It was bought from dealer,probaly cheaper from the company.

burkbuilds
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Your bike looks great Mercutio57! Nice job.

Mercutio57
04-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks.

The funny thing about this bike is that everytime I had myself convinced that I "need" to move on to something bigger (how typically American is that?), I would go for a ride and find myself say "why?" So I finally dropped the "trade up" idea and decided to start making her truly mine.

Something bigger and more powerful would undoubtedly be better for highway riding, but I've no plans to venture beyond local roads. The L.I.E. is bad enough in a cage!

Easy Rider
04-13-2010, 10:19 AM
So I finally dropped the "trade up" idea and decided to start making her truly mine.

Beware of the used bike show room at the dealer.
It is a TRULY dangerous place. :roll:

WOW......look at THAT. SWEET.
And the price isn't too bad either........Hmmmmm.....
(Too late. You're hooked !!) :crackup

Mercutio57
04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Tell me about it.

A few months back I was at the dealer's getting my GZ serviced, and, while waiting, wandered into the showroom and sat on a brand new, fire-engine red Ninja 250.

"Surely," I began to tell myself, "a man ought to have a little sportbike along with his little cruiser. Rather like a balanced diet, so to speak-- moderate, not at all excessive, and, once again, balanced..."

Whether or not this scheme would have an adverse effect on the balance of the family budget was not, of course, under consideration at that point. Oh yes, it is dangerous indeed.

I ultimately gathered my wits and fled, as did Joseph from Potiphar's wife, but it was a close call..!

Easy Rider
04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I ultimately gathered my wits and fled, as did Joseph from Potiphar's wife, but it was a close call..!

Those two situations do have some things in common !! :biggrin:

diffluere
04-15-2010, 11:08 PM
The new Ninjas are awesome. My friend is trying to sell his black one....only 1000 miles on it..haha!! I really want one now too, but then again, I'm a poor college student and my weekly gas budget of $6 sounds way better than being able to go 110. =)

I like the logo! Very nice. I have the little Spitfire Slipstreamer windshield. I don't know if it's in my avatar or not...

edit: it's not. It looks cool though, I promise.

alantf
04-16-2010, 05:18 AM
I have the little Spitfire Slipstreamer windshield. I don't know if it's in my avatar or not...

??????????? Ever thought of turning your eyes just a LITTLE to the left? There, for all the world (including you) to see, is your avatar. A quick glance should be enough for you to answer your own question. :) :lol:

Mercutio57
04-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Thank you.

The little bike has always gotten some attention (principally because where I live one very rarely sees small motorcycles), but now with the tank logo it gets quite a bit more. Spanish speakers, of course, "get it" right away and smile; others wil ask for a translation and explanation.

As a consequence of these questions I have discovered that none of my friends and neighbors here know anything about "The Motorcycle Diaries." I had sort of assumed that everyone knew at least something about Guevara's famous trip, especially since the release of the rather successful film, but I guess I'm more of a history nerd than I realized.

So the logo, in effect, is much more of an inside joke than was intended.

Should I ever succumb to the temptation to buy that Ninja, by the way, I already have a nickname and corresponding logo for it in the works!

mrlmd1
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh, post it, post it. Since I have one also I want to see it, and I promise I won't steal it.

Mercutio57
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Oh, I haven't drawn her yet-- she's still in the "visualizing" stage! The clue is that name of the bike (and the logo girl) will be the title of an old Elton John song...

BillInGA
04-16-2010, 08:08 PM
That's too easy a hint, but I won't give it away. :cool:

Mercutio57
04-17-2010, 08:18 AM
That's right. 1971!

Mercutio57
04-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Update on the windshield: Don't expect to see any photos, as I don't think I'm going to use it. It looks great, but no matter how I adjusted it the turbulence it sent up into my face was very annoying-- much worse than the wind without it. Oh well...

blaine
04-17-2010, 08:49 PM
When I put my windscreen on it took me about a month of trial and error to get it adjusted to my liking

burkbuilds
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Mercutio57, I had the same experience with my GZ's windshield, (the spitfire), so I removed it after about a week. When the weather turned colder, I decided to re-install it and I was able to adjust it (eventually) to where it didn't buffet me so much and I ended up just leaving it on after that. If you are happy without it though, I always thought the bike, all bikes for that matter, looked better without the shield.

alantf
04-18-2010, 05:25 AM
That's right. 1971!

Are you sure about the year? I'm not much of an Elton John fan, so I couldn't work it out. I went on a web site that listed his music, & 1971 didn't throw up anything with a girl's name. :)

Mercutio57
04-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words about the windshield. I'll give it a try again when I have more time (and patience). I agree about it looking better without, though.

As for the Elton John song, I never said it was a name. It's a song about a girl, but in it she is referred to by a title, or nickname, rather than her actual name..!

kraznos
04-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Hold me closer ---- ------ ,count the headlights on the highwaaaaaay.

blaine
04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
In the instructions that come with the"SPITFIRE" it says to rest the shield on top of the headlight to stop vibration.Way to low. I have mine just about to the of the speedometer.and on same angle as the forks.We are both about the same height so this should work for you.Almost forgot no wind!!

blaine
04-18-2010, 08:36 AM
In the instructions that come with the"SPITFIRE" it says to rest the shield on top of the headlight to stop vibration.Way to low. I have mine just about to the of the speedometer.and on same angle as the forks.We are both about the same height so this should work for you.Almost forgot no wind!! :hide:

alantf
04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Hold me closer ---- ------ ,count the headlights on the highwaaaaaay.

Still ????????????????

kraznos
04-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Elton John's Madman across the water album track one.

alantf
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Elton John's Madman across the water album track one.

Now I've got it! (looked it up :) ) Can't say I recall ever hearing it. :cry: Although it seems appropriate for the relative size of the bike. :)

Mercutio57
04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
That's it-- "Tiny Dancer." It's about a a real woman, by the way-- the lyricist's first wife, who was a dancer as well as a "seamstress for the band."

On the windshield, I tried a new positioning yesterday and still no dice: No matter which way I set it there is some very annoying turbulence, much worse than wind "au natural." I may play with it a bit more, but more likely it's destined for the next yard sale.

kraznos
04-19-2010, 06:38 AM
About your windscreen, when I got my bike home,(used), it had a windshield installed that I promptly removed,but I did ride a bit with it on and it worked well. I just think less is more on a smaller bike so I removed it. The windscreen is a Suzuki 22T that the previous owner had installed at a dealership.14"H x 17"W.

Mercutio57
04-19-2010, 06:41 AM
I agree about less being more, especially on a small bike.

alantf
04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Purely a personal thing, but I've ALWAYS hated windscreens on any bike. I've even removed factory fitted ones because I dislike them so much. :cry: I've never been able to set them so that (a) they didn't slow the bike down (b) they didn't act as a giant sail, to make the bike go where I didn't want it to go (c) cause buffeting.

Mercutio57
04-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah, it's definitely a yard sale item.

Besides, I find that there's something so basic and essential about riding a small-displacement thumper in the wind, with, of course, an open-face helmet. Yes, there are the bugs and all of that, but this strikes me-- no pun intended!-- as a part of it all. Out there I feel as though I'm one with generations of bug-eating thumper jockeys before me, experiencing what they once did on their little Trumpets and Beezers.

Call me a romantic poet of sorts, but there it is.

To me a huge part of the GZ's charm is that it is, at least in this country with its insatiable drive for "bigger and better," the last of its breed. I know, I should be on a Royal Enfield Bullet, kick-starter and all. Or the "new" Bonneville T100. And, budget permitting, perhaps someday I will. Unless of course Kawasaki should bring that beautiful retro 650 twin back to the USA, or Yamaha do the same with their SR400. Neither possibility, however, seems very likely, given what the market demands here: 200 MPH crotch rockets and 1200+ cc cruisers sell; anything else is a losing proposition

Naturally there are times when I like to be out of the wind and weather, listening to music with a cup of coffee at my elbow, but that, I think, is what my cage is for!