PDA

View Full Version : I Found 6th Gear!

BillInGA
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
It's called a 16T front sprocket! I simply can't get over the improvement in ride-ability - a night and day difference.

So here's the story so far: Last week I did the Pilot Screw mod - or so I thought. I had ordered the 16T and was expecting it today, so yesterday I went to do the Needle Shim adjustment. While I was in the carb, I check the pilot screw and discovered that I had reset it back to factory specs - 1 1/2 turns out. :whistle: I readjusted the pilot screw to 2 1/2 turns out and then completed the needle shim mod. On the PMCR (Post Maintenance Check Ride) the bike felt different / better, but in a way I couldn't really put my finger on.

Today I picked up the 16t and installed it this evening after work. BTW - a big thanks for the How To's! It makes doing these mods MUCH easier. :2tup: The sprocket change was actually a three-fer - I also cleaned and lubed the chain and adjusted the chain tension.

On to the PMCR. Wow! What a difference! I remember someone previously mentioning that the new gearing felt a lot like a VW Bug. I have to say I agree. Shifting speeds / RPM's felt very natural and engine RPM at any given speed was more comfortable. My big fear was that 5th gear would be too "tall" to be usable on the freeway. Just the opposite! I think with the 15T I was running out revs at freeway speeds. With the 16t I have enough revs and power to get up to 75 MPH and had some to spare. I don't know what the new top speed is and I'm probably not going to try to find out. Suffice it to say that these mods make my GZ feel like a whole different bike. I only wish I had done this when I first bought it.

Finally, I ordered my windshield. I decided to go with the Slip Streamer SS-28 Sport Fairing. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday, so I should get it installed and have an update for you next week.

Cheers!

dannylightning
04-22-2010, 10:03 PM
lol, funny we were just talking about trying to shift into 6th gear, i got a drive shaft on mine so i will probably continue to air shift from time to time.

glad you like it and i seems to be working out for you. rock on

blaine
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Glad you like the new mods,I felt the same when I done my mods.

Easy Rider
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
It's called a 16T front sprocket! I simply can't get over the improvement in ride-ability - a night and day difference.

My big fear was that 5th gear would be too "tall" to be usable on the freeway.

Hate to say "We told you so......." but we DID !!! :biggrin:

I think your experience with freeway speeds is due, in part, to your needle shim change.

I had no trouble making 70 or so with ONLY the 16T........under ideal conditons......that is, flat road with no head-wind. I think you will find that you have some trouble MAINTAINING that speed over much distance because you will have trouble uphill or against a wind.

bonehead
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

I think your experience with freeway speeds is due, in part, to your needle shim change.

I had no trouble making 70 or so with ONLY the 16T........under ideal conditons......that is, flat road with no head-wind. I think you will find that you have some trouble MAINTAINING that speed over much distance because you will have trouble uphill or against a wind.
:plus1:

BillInGA
04-23-2010, 05:08 PM

No argument there.

I'm not planning on doing a lot of freeway driving. I'll be using mainly federal and state highways.

Easy Rider
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not planning on doing a lot of freeway driving. I'll be using mainly federal and state highways.

Me too.....even on the bigger bike.
I plan to be in your area the last week of May.....and hope not to touch an Interstate anywhere along the way. US 41 is good.

Purpledrank
08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I've read a lot about this 16T mod. Does anyone know any place that sells them? Either online or in store? I'd love to do this mod next weekend.

Viirin
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/GZ_2 ... s_1_Tooth/ (http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/GZ_250_K2-K8_Marauder/02-08/picture/Sprocket_Front_Plus_1_Tooth/)

probably be where i order mine from if i ever take the 16t plunge

blaine
08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I've read a lot about this 16T mod. Does anyone know any place that sells them? Either online or in store? I'd love to do this mod next weekend.

I got mine from dealer.Suzuki part #27511-37200. :) :cool:

Purpledrank
08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Sweet. Thanks guys!

mrlmd1
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I had that windshield on my GZ and really liked it. No breeze coming up underneath hitting you in the chest or chin, the height was good. It's a little tricky to first get on with the 4 point mounting system to get everything attached and lined up, and much easier with a helping hand, but after it's on, it's easy to adjust and very stable, no vibrations or shifting around. It covers your grips well to keep your hands out of the wind. I thought it was a good choice for the bike.