PDA

View Full Version : Some changes

kraznos
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
N

blaine
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I would be very careful if you do any night riding as it is almost impossible to see you side on with no reflectors.Just a heads up as it might also be illegal.

patrick_777
04-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Looks good. Don't worry about the reflectors.

music man
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Looks good. Don't worry about the reflectors.

Yea the first thing I have done to both bikes that I have owned is stripped the reflectors off of them, Like the Mighty Sarris :lol: once said, "reflectors are for bicycles".

At night, when you come up on a car, do you see reflectors or lights? I think if you are relying on two tiny reflectors to save your life at night you are already S.O.L.

Sarris
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I've always said that reflectors and stickers are for little boys. I outgrew those 45+ years ago. Plus they look like shit.

If you're relying on reflectors, like MM said, you're SOL.

:cool:

kraznos
04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
T

blaine
04-24-2010, 08:10 PM
c man][quote="patrick_777":wau4ijxn]Looks good. Don't worry about the reflectors.

Yea the first thing I have done to both bikes that I have owned is stripped the reflectors off of them, Like the Mighty Sarris :lol: once said, "reflectors are for bicycles".

'' At night, when you come up on a car, do you see reflectors or lights? I think if you are relying on two tiny reflectors to save your life at night you are already S.O.L.[/quote:wau4ijxn]'
[/quote

When I come up on a car side I see both.If I come up on your bike side on what do I see? "NOTHING"!!

music man
04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
If you can't see me when your headlights are shining right on me (which is the same way you would see my reflectors) just because I don't have those little cheap piece of shit reflectors on my bike, then you might want to get your eyes checked.

But don't get me wrong, the right kind of reflectors/reflective tape, put in the right places on your bike and in large amounts, could help you be seen a lot. What I am saying is, those little pieces of crap they throw on a motorcycle just so the federal government will say that it is safe to sell to you, ain't gonna help me enough to be worth having to look at the ugly ass things.

blaine
04-24-2010, 08:35 PM
If you can't see me when your headlights are shining right on me (which is the same way you would see my reflectors) just because I don't have those little cheap piece of shit reflectors on my bike, then you might want to get your eyes checked.

But don't get me wrong, the right kind of reflectors/reflective tape, put in the right places on your bike and in large amounts, could help you be seen a lot. What I am saying is, those little pieces of crap they throw on a motorcycle just so the federal government will say that it is safe to sell to you, ain't gonna help me enough to be worth having to look at the ugly ass things.

Point taken.When you explain your point I agree with you.I meant they were better than nothing at all.

Easy Rider
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I meant they were better than nothing at all.

Of course they are.
If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", then you own a bike for the wrong reasons......in my opinion. Or maybe you are just anal in general......????? :poke2:
:biggrin:

Water Warrior 2
04-24-2010, 11:52 PM
A bit of a paranoid when it comes to being seen.

blaine
04-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I meant they were better than nothing at all.

Of course they are.
If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", then you own a bike for the wrong reasons......in my opinion. Or maybe you are just anal in general......????? :poke2:
:biggrin:

I'm not the one running with out reflectors,that was my point.I didn't like the round ones so I changed to "HARLEY" style on the forks.I disagree with running without some reflective material of some kind on the sides as some have stated.

blaine
04-25-2010, 12:59 AM
I've always said that reflectors and stickers are for little boys. I outgrew those 45+ years ago. Plus they look like shit.

If you're relying on reflectors, like MM said, you're SOL.

:cool:

Not relying on them.Not doing away with them either.I would rather be a little boy than a dead little boy.Hard enough to be seen.

alantf
04-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Even "Nanny State" England doesn't make you fit reflectors, & they try to pass as many stupid laws as they can.

blaine
04-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Even "Nanny State" England doesn't make you fit reflectors, & they try to pass as many stupid laws as they can.
We are not forced to use reflectors,I choose to use them.

kraznos
04-25-2010, 08:11 AM
M

blaine
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Mentioning removal of my reflectors seems to have sparked a bit of a debate. For the record I NEVER ride at night so for me It's a non-issue.I got the bike used April 1st and promptly removed a windshield,chrome engine gaurd,saddle bags,(wich covered the rear reflectors by the way),rear seat and pegs.I usually just putt around my develpment and have put 117 miles on since the 1st.I enjoy tinkering as much as riding,I have a sometimes stressfull job and I find it relaxing.I'm not trying to be unsafe and I don't feel that I'm being anal,just enjoying having a little bike in the garage to play around with.I'm glad this forum is here it's a great source of information and there seems to be alot of nice folks.Ride safe everyone. KRAZNOS
I on the other hand do a lot of night riding.When I put my saddle bags on I moved the reflectors up above the bags.
If I did not ride at night I would remove them.

alantf
04-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I promptly removed engine gaurd,

Bad move - VERY bad move - It's not there to protect the engine as much as protecting YOU. (I don't know why you don't call them "crash bars" like we do in England) This is the umpteenth time I've mentioned it, but, last year when I got sideswiped by a 4 x 4, & the bike went over, the bars were the ONLY thing that stopped my leg being squashed under the bike, & being badly burned by the engine.

kraznos
04-25-2010, 08:53 AM
T

alantf
04-25-2010, 09:00 AM
They were susuki brand engine gaurds that were so small that they barely came past the engine,no way they would help nif you tip over,they were tiny so you must be thinking of an entirely different part

Ah yes. Everyone says that the Suzuki bars are useless. Mine are the Spanish bars, SPAAN, & they are ace. :)

patrick_777
04-25-2010, 09:27 AM
If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", then you own a bike for the wrong reasons.

Ah, yes. There's the blanket statement we were all waiting for.

Easy Rider
04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", ...........

I'm not the one running with out reflectors,that was my point.

I know. While I quoted your post, the "you" did not mean you personally. It was aimed at the person who made the "ugly ass reflectors" comment.

Easy Rider
04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
[quote="Easy Rider":3nbtirw0]If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", then you own a bike for the wrong reasons.

Ah, yes. There's the blanket statement we were all waiting for.[/quote:3nbtirw0]

[Ignored]......least we let "someone" turn yet another healthy discusssion into an agruement.

Easy Rider
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
T

Kraznos.......what the hell ??
How come you seem to be deleting all your posts about an hour after posting them ???

After someone has replied, it is captured in the reply anyway.......then it just looks wierd.

Looks to me like you input is thoughtful and reasonable; what's the problem ?? :??:

Water Warrior 2
04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
[quote="patrick_777":2sehh37t][quote="Easy Rider":2sehh37t]If you are worried about "having to look at ugly ass reflectors", then you own a bike for the wrong reasons.

Ah, yes. There's the blanket statement we were all waiting for.[/quote:2sehh37t]

[Ignored]......least we let "someone" turn yet another healthy discusssion into an agruement.[/quote:2sehh37t]
How about we all agree to ride with or without reflectors day or night on our own bikes and leave it at that. I am definitely from the "be seen" camp but I won't tell anyone else they must do this or that. I will show what our bikes look like but that is our choice. We all get to make a choice.

Easy Rider
04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
We all get to make a choice.

But if the rest of us can't comment on that choice........it's no fun at all. :poke2: :biggrin:

blaine
04-25-2010, 05:30 PM

Bad move - VERY bad move - It's not there to protect the engine as much as protecting YOU. (I don't know why you don't call them "crash bars" like we do in England) This is the umpteenth time I've mentioned it, but, last year when I got sideswiped by a 4 x 4, & the bike went over, the bars were the ONLY thing that stopped my leg being squashed under the bike, & being badly burned by the engine.
Never said that,thats not my quote.I have never owned a set of engine guards.

burkbuilds
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Alan, as you are probably aware, folks in the US are more than a little eager to sue in court over some ridiculous things. Several years ago some of the manufacturers got sued for calling them crash bars here and regardless of whether they lost that suit or not, they decided to change the designation to "Engine Guards" to avoid any implication that they would protect the rider in a crash. That, of course, does not mean they won't or can't or whatever, help protect you, only that the manufacturers here decided that if they didn't designate them in a way that might be construed to imply that they would protect the rider, they have less chance of getting sued by someone who had them and got injured in an accident anyway. The most they might be liable for as Engine guards would be the cost of an engine, but an injured person could end up costing them millions. Thus, the name change in the states.

Water Warrior 2
04-26-2010, 12:37 AM
[quote="Water Warrior":37vh8sy2]We all get to make a choice.

But if the rest of us can't comment on that choice........it's no fun at all. :poke2: :biggrin:[/quote:37vh8sy2]
Feel free to make any comment you want. I may not like it but that is also my choice. Right now I choose to pour me another coffee and continue reading and commenting. Been a good day here and I'm smiling. :) :)

alantf
04-26-2010, 07:04 AM

Never said that,thats not my quote.I have never owned a set of engine guards.

I apologise unreservedly (grovel, grovel) That must have been me getting quotes within quotes within quotes, mixed up. Of course it should have been attributed to dear, departed, thin skinned, kraznos. :bow:

blaine
04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
No problem.thanks

SuziQ07
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
T

Kraznos.......what the hell ??
How come you seem to be deleting all your posts about an hour after posting them ???

After someone has replied, it is captured in the reply anyway.......then it just looks wierd.

Looks to me like you input is thoughtful and reasonable; what's the problem ?? :??:

I believe he deleted all his posts after he posted some updated pictures of his bike with new white handlebars....there were some negative and most likely hurtful comments made about his choice of white grips.

alantf
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I believe he deleted all his posts after he posted some updated pictures of his bike with new white handlebars....there were some negative and most likely hurtful comments made about his choice of white grips.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it one of your presidents that said "If you can't stand the heat, keep out of the kitchen"? :tongue:

bonehead
04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Colored h/b's? Are'nt they for m/x bikes?

alantf
04-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Colored h/b's? Are'nt they for m/x bikes?

The bars were ,actually, black, & lower than the factory fitted bars. While I feel that they would have been too low to give me a comfortable riding position, I did like the idea of colour coding. It's just the grips (IMO) that were a joke. :roll: (They really DID look like something off my daughter's first tricycle) :cry:

Easy Rider
04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Wasn't it one of your presidents that said "If you can't stand the heat, keep out of the kitchen"? :tongue:

Listen, Alan, I don't think it's funny at all.

I tend to be a little harsh on newbies sometimes but I think you have crossed the line this time with an insult thinly veiled as sarchasm.

Even THAT wouldn't be so bad.......if you recognized your mistake and maybe appologized.......but you don't and defend your bad conduct and actually seem to take some perverse pleasure in upsetting somebody.

I don't think it is nice or cute or funny. In this case, you may have run off a new member who seemed like a perfectly nice, well behaved rider. Bad form, sir. VERY bad form.

Now, having said that..........feel free to take all the shots at ME that you want.......and probably the other "old timers" too.....'cause we can take it and we know how you "are".......and the other way around too.

The same rule of conduct does not apply to newcomers, however, who have not yet indicted how thick their skin may or may not be.

Charging into the forum as a newbie and acting like a total ass is one thing but being nice and polite only to have someone make fun of you or your bike right out of the starting gate is QUITE another matter.

alantf
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Listen, Alan, I don't think it's funny at all.

Well, I do!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And YOU are the LAST person I need to tell ME about being nice to newbies !!! I CLEARLY recall you driving newbies off the site, & while I didn't do this intentionally, I still tried to make my comment in a humorous fashion, so get off your high horse , & don't come mister innocent nice guy with me.

I was looking for "the finger|" in the smilies, but it appears to have been deleted, asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarris
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hey Patrick, can we get the smiley finger icon back? It's kinda useful sometimes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

patrick_777
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Just to pick sides here, I agree with Easy Rider 100%.

*heart attack*

Sarris, I didn't know it went anywhere. Maybe Dupo removed it.

Easy Rider
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
And YOU are the LAST person I need to tell ME about being nice to newbies !!!

Pretty much the response I expected, given your attitude lately.

Note:
Charging into the forum as a newbie and acting like a total ass is one thing but being nice and polite only to have someone make fun of you or your bike right out of the starting gate is QUITE another matter.

The purpose of this forum is to support GZ riders, not to belittle them.
He did nothing to deserve the treatment he got.

burkbuilds
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey Kraznos, not sure if you will get this but on behalf of many of us on the forum I'd like to apologize for the way you were treated. I saw some of your posts early on, with pics of your bike and it looks like you were making it your own, which is exactly the thing to do in my opinion. I haven't read through all the comments but just judging by the final ones on the forum it sounds like some of the members were really rude and insulting to you and that should not have happened. I hope you will give us another chance, this is actually a great website, and most of the time the members are very supportive of one another. Yeah, we have our disagreements now and then and some of them are hum dingers, but it is pretty rare that anyone is insulting over the style and looks of someone else's ride.
Whether you come back or not, I hope you enjoy your GZ, it's a great bike and a lot of fun to ride.

alantf
04-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Aw, c'mon now .... You'll notice that I started my reply by stating that I loved the bars - a genuine comment - I then went on to say that I hated the grips - another genuine comment. I then added the explanation as to why I hated them (they looked like they came off a child's tricycle) - yet another genuine comment. If all the guy wanted was for EVERYONE to say how great they looked, & not make honest criticisms, then he should have joined a mutual admiration society.

My intention, GENUINELY, was not to drive ANYONE away, but to make an honest reply - just as I would if we were face to face - with a smile (& hence the smilies)

Boy ......... this is getting too deep for me :cry: :)

alantf
04-27-2010, 05:05 AM

Examples please (apart from this post) :??:

bonehead
04-27-2010, 07:11 AM

*heart attack*

Sarris, I didn't know it went anywhere. Maybe Dupo removed it.
That must have been painful. :whistle:

Easy Rider
04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Examples please (apart from this post) :??:

OK, time to end this, I think. :roll:

There is no excuse for being intentionally rude....unless your are trying to pick a fight.....
SO......
An appology from ME is likely in order because I jumped on your case too hard......now I think in hindsight. I'm sorry and the above probably wasn't warranted......but I'm not going back to look.

Several of us have ASSumed that it was your remarks that scared him away and that might NOT be the case at all. Maybe it was something somebody ELSE said.

HE is not blameless in this "mess" either because he HAS been back since the "fight" started and hasn't offered up any explanation either. Maybe he is just being wierd and what we said really wasn't a factor.

Points have been made and noted. Time for a truce ?? :cool:

alantf
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Points have been made and noted. Time for a truce ?? :cool:

:tup: :plus1:

patrick_777
04-27-2010, 01:01 PM

It stung a little, yes. Actually as opinions go, ours are not often in opposition as much as they may seem. The little flare-ups have been over attitude on both sides. When giants clash they usually make a lot of rumbling.

In regard to this thread and the weak one that edited his posts, I just don't understand that action. There are two active admins, and we're not hard to find, who will happily delete you posts/threads for you if asked. I'll even wipe a user entirely from existence, but I have to be ASKED to do it....by them. If this guy had a problem, he should have sacked up and defended it. Instead, he apparently bitched out, took his toys and went home. Some people are just natural quitters.

Alantf, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about possibly being the one who "ran him off". Since it happened with something pretty tame, it's safe to presume it would happen sooner than later anyway. Yes, it was a little harsh to make fun of someone else's ride, when they probably went to some trouble to get it that way. Let's try to be a little more reserved in our criticisms though.

Honestly, I think the Shadow 600s are little girl's bikes and probably should be shipped with stock training wheels, but I'm not telling Easy that...

dannylightning
04-27-2010, 01:03 PM
i just have to say i still have the reflectors on my bike, i never even thought about them being on my bike till i read this post so i went out and looked to see if i had any, of course i do and i am too lazy to pull them off so i guess they are going to stay. the ones on the front look like i would needs do take some parts off to remove the bracket that holds them on.

to be honest reflectors are a good safety feature, bikes are small and hard to see something reflecting back in a drivers face might only be a slight bit of help to let them know you are there but it might help out.

or you could just get a super bring led kit like i did, mine is really bring and lights up the ground and the side of my bike quite well at night, something like that is going to be way more noticeable that a few messily reflectors

if there is no law against led lighting kits in your state, and make sure you check so see if any colors are illegal, some states red and blue are illegal cus they are the color of emergency vehicles. in ohio as long as they don't flash, pulsate or change color and they are pointed towards the ground and not shining in some ones yese they are legal.[youtube:2wjd63wh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBWKxPvs88[/youtube:2wjd63wh]

kraznos
04-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry if taking the posts down was a problem, I'm just more of a private person than most and I usually am happy just lurking along in the background.If anyone is insulted or angry, my apologies. Uploading pictures is something I don't normally do,and when I put some up, a kind of feeding frenzy started and I became a bit embarassed. I just took down the posts to kind of diffuse the situation. I think Alantf is right on the money about those grips, for the record my wife hates them also, it's such a fine line when it comes to what works and what doesn't. The good news is that the grips were only 9.99, and the originals came off easily and can be put back on until I find just what I'm looking for. The lower handlebar position is very comfortable for me. I'm waiting on a new seat and some new rear turn signals so if I can get that stuff on I'll post some pictures. Apologies for the disappearing act, just got a bit overwhelmed. KRAZNOS

bonehead
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
[quote="patrick_777":2p4g3pti]Just to pick sides here, I agree with Easy Rider 100%.

It stung a little, yes. Actually as opinions go, ours are not often in opposition as much as they may seem. The little flare-ups have been over attitude on both sides. When giants clash they usually make a lot of rumbling.

In regard to this thread and the weak one that edited his posts, I just don't understand that action. There are two active admins, and we're not hard to find, who will happily delete you posts/threads for you if asked. I'll even wipe a user entirely from existence, but I have to be ASKED to do it....by them. If this guy had a problem, he should have sacked up and defended it. Instead, he apparently bitched out, took his toys and went home. Some people are just natural quitters.

Alantf, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about possibly being the one who "ran him off". Since it happened with something pretty tame, it's safe to presume it would happen sooner than later anyway. Yes, it was a little harsh to make fun of someone else's ride, when they probably went to some trouble to get it that way. Let's try to be a little more reserved in our criticisms though.

Honestly, I think the Shadow 600s are little girl's bikes and probably should be shipped with stock training wheels, but I'm not telling Easy that...[/quote:2p4g3pti]
Oh no, you did'nt. :hide:

alantf
04-27-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm just more of a private person than most and I usually am happy just lurking along in the background.If anyone is insulted or angry, my apologies.

And my apologies too, if I upset you. :) Thing is - everyone here (or almost everyone :) ) gets stuck in & says what they think. I think you can see that some of us insult each other, then next day it's forgotten. It'd be great if you "let it all hang out" & not get too upset in this madhouse of a GREAT site. Just take us as you find us, & I hope that you won't take it too hard if we have opposite views in the future. :) :2tup:

BTW, did you see how everyone ganged up on me, when they thought I'd driven you off the site. That's how it is - we don't want to lose anybody - so I just took it on the chin & gave back as good as I got. :roll:

WE DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU AGAIN :2tup:

kraznos
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks alantf, will do.

blaine
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
i just have to say i still have the reflectors on my bike, i never even thought about them being on my bike till i read this post so i went out and looked to see if i had any, of course i do and i am too lazy to pull them off so i guess they are going to stay. the ones on the front look like i would needs do take some parts off to remove the bracket that holds them on.

to be honest reflectors are a good safety feature, bikes are small and hard to see something reflecting back in a drivers face might only be a slight bit of help to let them know you are there but it might help out.

or you could just get a super bring led kit like i did, mine is really bring and lights up the ground and the side of my bike quite well at night, something like that is going to be way more noticeable that a few messily reflectors

if there is no law against led lighting kits in your state, and make sure you check so see if any colors are illegal, some states red and blue are illegal cus they are the color of emergency vehicles. in ohio as long as they don't flash, pulsate or change color and they are pointed towards the ground and not shining in some ones yese they are legal.[youtube:28i8k2qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBWKxPvs88[/youtube:28i8k2qk]
Great video Danny.Love the music.

blaine
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
[quote="kraznos"]Thanks alantf, will do.[/quote

Welcome back bro. :2tup: :2tup:

Easy Rider
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Honestly, I think the Shadow 600s are little girl's bikes and probably should be shipped with stock training wheels, but I'm not telling Easy that...

I think I hear some noise in here..........
My hearing aid must be going bad !! :shocked:

:crackup

(That's why I got it, to attract little girls !!) :whistle:

Easy Rider
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Apologies for the disappearing act, just got a bit overwhelmed. KRAZNOS

No harm, no foul.
Good that you let us know what the story IS.
Hope you stick around for a while.

And, just incase it isn't painfully clear already..........there is often a lack of "sensitivity" among many of the users here........ME included. :cry:

BillInGA
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
(That's why I got it, to attract little girls !!) :whistle:

:plus1:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mercutio57
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm glad to see that this all worked out well in the end. I enjoy seeing what others are experimenting with, and it found it upsetting to see what had happened. No one, I think, wants to drive anyone else away. The way we communicate, however, often leads to all sorts of misunderstanding and offense.

For what it's worth, I find the following formula to be very helpful:

Directness of speech (including all forms of sarcasm, teasing, etc.) should always be in direct proportion to the degree of intimacy in a relationship. Old friends can trade even the roughest of jests without offense; casual acquaintances are best treated with professional courtesy.

By the way, I couldn't quite see how the comment on reflectors got into the mix here, but I just removed mine. I didn't care for the look, almost never ride at night, and honestly doubt their real efficacy. New York only requires a rear facing one, which is already part of the GZ taillight mount.