PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Recommendations??

SuziQ07
04-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Hello!
Does anyone currently use a backpack while riding? I'm looking for a backpack that could also hold my helmet.
Any help is appreciated...thanks!

mrlmd1
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Go to this thread from a Ninja 250 forum I also frequent, it has a lot of good suggestions - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12425&
The ICON Squad II (2 videos on there) looks like it will hold everything you may ever want to carry, but there are a few others on there that will also carry a helmet.

Also look at this thread - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35505

Here's another idea - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... kpack.aspx (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/67/3744/ITEM/Tour-Master-Cortech-Backpack.aspx)

You can go anywhere from $8 at Walmart, to $39 at Lands End, to $125 for the Icon Squad, to $160 or more for others, and everywhere in between. It's only money, but most of these will last many, many years and actually provide some crash protection too. Good luck in your search, there are too many choices to make an easy decision.

alantf
04-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Hello!
Does anyone currently use a backpack while riding?

Not me, for certain. I like COMFORT while riding, so I've got a box big enough to hold everything I need on a normal ride ( plus a week's groceries when I do the supermarket run) or two helmets when we stop. I just don't feel balanced/safe/comfortable with any weight on my back. :cry: :)

mrlmd1
04-30-2010, 05:07 PM
The ones designed for bikes ride pretty low and don't upset balance too much. But I agree and would rather carry stuff in the bags or on the sissy bar or tank bag.
It's when you need or want to take your jacket and helmet with you and carry books and a laptop that those backpacks come in handy.

skeet monroe
04-30-2010, 08:10 PM
My cousin used to wear a backpack everywhere he went on his bike. I tried it, and decided I'm not comfortable with it. That's what my saddlebags are for anyway.

I know they are more expensive than a backpack, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. You don't have to remember to grab anything, saddlebags look better than wearing a backpack does, and they are much safer, IMO.

music man
04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I know they are more expensive than a backpack, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. You don't have to remember to grab anything, saddlebags look better than wearing a backpack does, and they are much safer, IMO.

Actually for a good backpack that is big enough and comfortable enough for long riding trips, you might actually get a decent set of saddlebags for around the same price. I have an awesome pack I got from a military surplus store, it is so comfortable a lot of people use them for running, it also has the hydration bladder with it (that I have never used), but the drawback to it is, it doesn't have a huge amount of space, but you can't comfortably carry a whole lot in one no matter how big it is or how much it cost.

I like it for in town use, because I can take all my stuff with me easily and quickly when I get off my bike. And I agree with you that Saddlebags are safer overall, because that is just one less thing you have to think about when you are riding.

Water Warrior 2
05-01-2010, 01:06 AM
My opinion here so take it with a grain of salt. Call me a safety nut if you want. I would not wear a backpack while riding. If you ever get involved in a mishap and fall there is a good possiblity the contents of the pack could cause more serious injuries. How many small items can poke or protrude upon impact. Bungee the pack to the rear seat if you really need one. Safety lesson over.

blaine
05-01-2010, 08:13 AM
My opinion here so take it with a grain of salt. Call me a safety nut if you want. I would not wear a backpack while riding. If you ever get involved in a mishap and fall there is a good possiblity the contents of the pack could cause more serious injuries. How many small items can poke or protrude upon impact. Bungee the pack to the rear seat if you really need one. Safety lesson over.
:plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

mrlmd1
05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Most of the packs specifically made for bikers are well padded where they contact the rider, are made out of pretty tough material, and actually may and probably do provide some additional back protection during a fall or slide on the road surface. Nobody in any site I have seen has ever complained of small items poking through or protruding on impact or even spewing all over the road. They carry the load pretty low and are not that obtrusive to riding around at moderate speeds.
If you have to carry the contents around with you they are a viable option, although I would have to agree that saddlebags may be better in some instances but they provide very little if any security to items left on the bike, then you still have to pack them up into something else to carry them. If a backpack s not securely attached to the bike, it will be less secure (more prone to breaking loose) and not everyone has a sissy bar or something else to attach the pack to. Like everything else on here generating heated discussion, a good backpack is just another viable option, and if you are going that route, get one designed for a biker and make sure it fits, etc, etc.

alantf
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
get one designed for a biker and make sure it fits,

Never knew such a thing existed. What's the difference between one designed for bikes, & the one I bought from the luggage shop, to use as a flight bag on aeroplanes (which I VERY occasionally use on the bike when I'm carrying too much stuff to fit in the box. :??:

mrlmd1
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Check out the links I posted and see that discussion and some of the recommendations. Not endorsing them, but a lot of people use them and they seem to work well for their intended purpose.

SuziQ07
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts and input. Before I actually purchase a backpack I decided to try wearing my old L.L. Bean backpack and see how it feels...if it pulls me down or feels funny etc. I'm a teacher so I need some sort of bag to bring all my papers home to grade! :roll:

mole2
05-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts and input. Before I actually purchase a backpack I decided to try wearing my old L.L. Bean backpack and see how it feels...if it pulls me down or feels funny etc. I'm a teacher so I need some sort of bag to bring all my papers home to grade! :roll:

I can't vouch for other brands/models but my saddlebags unzip and you can carry them around if you want. So you get to school, unzip the bag and carry it in.

:)

Water Warrior 2
05-02-2010, 05:20 AM

I can't vouch for other brands/models but my saddlebags unzip and you can carry them around if you want. So you get to school, unzip the bag and carry it in.

:)
There are actually a lot of bags that come off easily and have carry handles that are comfortable.

alantf
05-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I'm a teacher so I need some sort of bag to bring all my papers home

Why? Can't you find a dumpster closer to school? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BillInGA
05-02-2010, 08:01 AM

I've been using a Cortech Sport tail bag since I bought my GZ250 4 years ago. I soon realized that the (Suzuki?) saddle bags were woefully inadequate. The tail bag bungees on securely and has little pockets for the hooks when you take in off the bike. Plenty of room for paper, work appropriate shoes, lunch, etc. I carries like a briefcase and even comes with a handy shoulder strap (I've never used it, though).

Cortech Sport Tail Bag (http://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tail_bags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_tail_bag.html)

SuziQ07
05-02-2010, 10:25 PM

I've been using a Cortech Sport tail bag since I bought my GZ250 4 years ago. I soon realized that the (Suzuki?) saddle bags were woefully inadequate. The tail bag bungees on securely and has little pockets for the hooks when you take in off the bike. Plenty of room for paper, work appropriate shoes, lunch, etc. I carries like a briefcase and even comes with a handy shoulder strap (I've never used it, though).

Cortech Sport Tail Bag (http://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tail_bags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_tail_bag.html)

Oh yeah, I saw the pictures of your bike and the Cortech bag you're using. I'm thinking that might work well for me...I bookmarked the page on the newenough website. You don't worry about the bungees coming loose? I've heard that regular old bungee cords can lose their elasticity and snap while you're riding...not sure if this is a safety concern or not? My dad saw a guy on a bike once who had a jacket tied down to the back of his bike and a sleeve came loose and got caught up in the wheel! :shocked:

Water Warrior 2
05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Just buy good quality bungees and take care when strapping down a bag. Bungees are also cheap and easy to replace when they get to feeling weak and insecure. You can also get bags when tiedowns that have actual snaps or buckles. An anchor strap is on the bike and ready to have the bag attached within seconds. Nelson Rigg makes then and I am sure Cortech does too. This makes for a very safe secure and convenient system.

BillInGA
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
When I first bought the tail bag the bungees felt not quite tight enough for my liking. I just tied and extra stopper knot in the end of the bungee cord after it passed through the hook.

I'll post a pic later today.

mrlmd1
05-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Don't give up the backpack idea completely.
You will have to lock your helmet to the bike when you leave if you use a tail bag or saddlebags - you know where the D-ring lock is underneath the seat, right?
Or, more secure, if you get a full face helmet, you can lock it on with a short cable lock or a gun trigger lock like I previously posted on here.

BillInGA
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Extra stopper knot in bungee:

http://s2.postimage.org/Opi6J.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsOpi6J)

SuziQ07
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm a teacher so I need some sort of bag to bring all my papers home

Why? Can't you find a dumpster closer to school? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha!! That's a terrific idea...I'll just have to make sure there aren't any parents watching me! :tongue:

SuziQ07
05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Don't give up the backpack idea completely.
You will have to lock your helmet to the bike when you leave if you use a tail bag or saddlebags - you know where the D-ring lock is underneath the seat, right?
Or, more secure, if you get a full face helmet, you can lock it on with a short cable lock or a gun trigger lock like I previously posted on here.

I did find the lock under the seat last week...thanks!

SuziQ07
05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Extra stopper knot in bungee:

http://s2.postimage.org/Opi6J.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsOpi6J)

Thanks for taking the time to post this picture...this is very helpful!

mavrix
08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I had used a backpack, but don't really like it so now 'm looking for a tail or tank bag and these suggestions are very helpful.

Thank you everyone!

Water Warrior 2
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Don't be afraid to spend some money on a good tank bag or tailbag. Stuff does happen as Lynda found out after gasing up one day. She forgot the tank bag was behind the drivers backrest and rode off. I watched the tank bag take a dive for the pavement at 120 kms(75 MPH). The bag suffered a slight bit if scuffing but her camera inside was in perfect condition. If the bag had been a write off it would still be cheaper than her camera.

cayuse
08-05-2011, 02:19 AM
I added a couple of straps and clips to a small backpack and turned it into a tank bag. I can still use it as a backpack if I want. I use it every day on my commute, carrying my lunch, camera, etc. Just picked up a medium-sized camera bag for my camera and strapped it to my sissy bar. Now I've got a handy little tail bag. Lots of options out there if you think outside the box a little.

evil_hero
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Right now, all I have is a backpack. I am looking for a tank bag (preferably) or maybe a tail bag, or something that will fit a 17 inch laptop. Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

HumbleNewRider
07-28-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm looking for a "system" myself for carrying stuff also. I don't have a solution, but I lean toward those that attach the cargo to the bike (either directly or inside saddlebags or a tank/tail bags, etc). I'll add a thought I didn't see posted.

I'm staying away from a backpack for one reason. It is my perception they could be a determent in a crash (especially if the pack was heavily loaded - with w/ school books). From what I've read, back injuries occur in about 13% of motorcycle accidents; however, only about 3% of accidents result in any neurological damage. But, those are the worse!! The back / spine protectors have debatable benefit (at least that's what I've read); because, the neurological damage primarily comes from torsional rotation, not impact. I've concluded (for now anyway) that rolling along the pavement with a bulky back pack could keep the upper body for rolling while the lower body does. But, I also realize that large boots could slow down the rotation of your lower body. So, I clearly see this could be debatable also.

I don't think there are any studies on it --- and it is probably like so many other things (such as which oil is best, what air pressure to use, which helmet), there are very good pros and cons. So, it comes down to a personal preference as to what we are comfortable with. But for now, I'm not an advocate of back packs.

I like the hard saddle bags or the hard tail box like alantf has. They have a bit more security than the softsided stuff. But, the soft bags (or even back packs) that are strapped/secured to the back rest, tank, or seat at least have the advantage that you can easily carry them inside with you.

I haven't decided exactly what direction I'm going yet, other than I've ruled out back packs.

Phillip

Water Warrior 2
07-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Give a little more thought to the hard case on Alantf's bike. I have the same case. It comes off in a second or 2 and you carry it like a suit case. Water proof and tough as nails. More costly than textile/fabric bags but they are lockable and very secure on the bike. The Shad brand which Alantf has comes with it's own mounting plate for a rack on the bike. There are a few options for a rear rack but you can always try to make your own.
I took the easy way out with Lynda's GZ and mounted a top case in place of the pillion seat. I made up a steel plate to serve as a mounting rack with the top case mounting plate attached to it. Worked great and she had a backrest to boot. Lynda never carried a pillion so everything worked out perfectly.

Maggie
08-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Give a little more thought to the hard case on Alantf's bike. I have the same case. It comes off in a second or 2 and you carry it like a suit case. Water proof and tough as nails. More costly than textile/fabric bags but they are lockable and very secure on the bike. The Shad brand which Alantf has comes with it's own mounting plate for a rack on the bike. There are a few options for a rear rack but you can always try to make your own.
I took the easy way out with Lynda's GZ and mounted a top case in place of the pillion seat. I made up a steel plate to serve as a mounting rack with the top case mounting plate attached to it. Worked great and she had a backrest to boot. Lynda never carried a pillion so everything worked out perfectly.

WW, have any pics of that set up? You may have posted some in the past, but until recently my saddlebags have seemed sufficient for my needs so I may not have been as attentive at the time. :whistle:

Water Warrior 2
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Maggie, you will have to work for it. Search back to the early part of 2007 in bike mods(I hope it's mods) and there are some pics and info concerning the fabrication and assembly. Really quite easy to do. Sorry to be so nonspecific but it is a start. I did use a smaller trunk because it was handy and already available. At least I still have a few pics of the finished project.
The trunk was a 28 liter capacity but bigger is always better for storage.
Oh, a thought comes my way. Check out Bestem USA for some reasonably priced top boxes that seem to be quite popular and decent quality. Also be sure to verify if they come with their own mounting plate. Some manufacturers sell them separately and the cost can be tough to swallow.

Water Warrior 2
08-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Maggie!!!! Found the old posts. Look at Performance Mods way back in 2007/2008. Anything by Authors WW or Happy Hobo. Happy Hobo(Lynda) did the pics to begin with as I was less than all thumbs in those days. Now I am just all thumbs with many redos to my credit.

alantf
08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
[attachment=0:2ccervp9]img069.jpg[/attachment:2ccervp9]

Something like this, made out of 1" flat bar, may be a start. Measurements so that it fits across the bike on each of the side mount bolts. Then, maybe, the Box, or the mounting plate can be fixed to the two pieces. The height of the side pieces of the brackets is to suit the height you want the box to sit at. :)

The only tools required.....tape measure, pencil, bench vice, hacksaw, file, hammer, drill.

Water Warrior 2
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you Alantf. I had forgotten about that idea. Another solution for mounting a trunk.

Maggie
08-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Thank you Alantf. I had forgotten about that idea. Another solution for mounting a trunk.

Thanks WW and Alan!!! Have not been to forum for a couple of days and now I have a fun research project! Woohoo! Thanks guys, you rock! :)

Water Warrior 2
08-09-2012, 01:32 AM

Thanks WW and Alan!!! Have not been to forum for a couple of days and now I have a fun research project! Woohoo! Thanks guys, you rock! :)
We are just trying to keep you busy and out of trouble. :lol: :lol: :lol: