PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle vs scooter helmets, is there a difference?

dentheman
05-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I am looking at helmets on-line. I like the design of the HCI 16 with its retractable sun visor, but some sites list it as a motorcycle helmet while others describe it as an 'Italian style scooter helmet'. Is there a difference, or is it just a play on words? I know not to buy a helmet without trying it on first.

Water Warrior 2
05-15-2010, 04:33 PM
It is a DOT 3/4 helmet. Wear it on a bike or scooter. I personally prefer a full face helmet for the added crash protection so just don't fall on your face. Better yet don't fall.
There are other helmets with internal sun visors that are full face or modular style on the market that are not overly expensive. I can't tell you what to wear but please be aware that many accidents involve a face plant.

dentheman
05-15-2010, 04:54 PM
I have been looking, but don't see many with that retractable sun visor that still allows the clear visor to stay down. Do you have any recommendations of others I should look at?

mrlmd1
05-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Sunglasses.

dentheman
05-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Sunglasses.
I already wear eyeglasses and don't have prescription sunglasses. That flip down sun visor just seems so much more convenient to me. But it does bring up the question whether the eyglasses will get in the way of the visor. EDIT: I don't care for the helmets with graphics.

New GZ250
05-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Mine has a sun visor, but is full face and not cheap. There are many out there, just spend some time researching. I won't wear anything but a full face helmet, want to protect the front of my head, not just the back! Price doesn't mean much, as long as it is DOT approved, fit and comfort and ease of use for the sun visor are important things to consider. Also I won't order online until I tried one on to my liking, without trying it on it is just a gamble is you truly would be happy with it! I tried many on, cheaper and more expensive, I went with the one that felt the best.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/13138/ITEM/HJC-Sy-Max-II-Modular-Helmet.aspx)
:popcorn:

Sarris
05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Some Nolan helmets have a retractable tinted shield behind the clear. Google "Nolan Helmets"

I have a Nolan 3/4 helmet (a really good product) that I use in the winter, but mostly I use a DOT police style 1/2 helmet.

:)

patrick_777
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
It's not just Nolen. Scorpion and Shoei have them too. If you buy last year's model, then you can pick them up pretty cheap.

dentheman
05-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I did more searching and found a few, including full faced, but I am a little concerned full face will get too hot in the west Texs summers. Aren't they all DOT or Snell approved? I ask because both my bicycle helmets are ANSI approved and I know a bicycle helmet cannot even be sold in the US unless it is approved by ANSI or perhaps some other testing Lab.

I still like the HCI 16 - style, visor, and especially price are important considerations - if it will fit. I don't need one with communications built in and don't want to pay for something I don't need.

Water Warrior 2
05-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.

mole2
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.

Transition lenses are so inexpensive now that I would not even consider glasses without them. They are my sunglasses when riding and work well behind the helmet shield.

:rawk:

alantf
05-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Transition lenses are so inexpensive now that I would not even consider glasses without them. They are my sunglasses when riding and work well behind the helmet shield.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I've found just the opposite. Mine won't work at all behind my clear visor, or car windshield. It might be interesting to ask my optician, next time I go in, why some work & some don't. :??:

blaine
05-18-2010, 07:35 AM
I have had photo-grey in my lens for 35 years.Relative cheap to get added to lens.(around 30 dollars).They work well in the car or behind a shield.What if anything is the advantage of the newer "transition" lens.

mrlmd1
05-18-2010, 08:29 AM
My transitions work just fine behind the full face shield as well as in the car, and all the ones I've had over the past 10 years or more have worked that way. If it doesn't work behind your visor it has something to do with the visor blocking out UV or a different formulation of the lenses.

alantf
05-18-2010, 08:39 AM
What if anything is the advantage of the newer "transition" lens.

It just means that they get progressively darker, the sunnier it gets. That way (theoretically!) they're never too light or dark. Then, at night, or on dull days, they stay completely clear. I, for one, wouldn't want to ride at night with ANY tint. I'm too scared of missing things in the shadows.

blaine
05-18-2010, 08:46 AM

It just means that they get progressively darker, the sunnier it gets. That way (theoretically!) they're never too light or dark. Then, at night, or on dull days, they stay completely clear. I, for one, wouldn't want to ride at night with ANY tint. I'm too scared of missing things in the shadows.

My old "photo-grey lens work exactly the same way.So no advantage? Just a marketing ploy of something thats been around for years under a different name.

alantf
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM

My old "photo-grey lens work exactly the same way.So no advantage? Just a marketing ploy of something thats been around for years under a different name.

Ah - my mistake! I thought you meant that they had a permanent tint that didn't change, but stayed ALWAYS tinted.

One of the good things that I've found, is that the modern lenses change MUCH quicker than the ones I had years ago. :2tup:

Water Warrior 2
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I've found just the opposite. Mine won't work at all behind my clear visor, or car windshield. It might be interesting to ask my optician, next time I go in, why some work & some don't. :??:
That would be due to face shield material, it's ability to stop UV and then the type of transitions you are wearing. I did have one combo of items that turned almost everything pink.

Joel K-Man
03-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Contacts, baby! :tongue:

mole2
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
[quote="Water Warrior":1m3le2rr]Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.

Contacts, baby! :tongue:[/quote:1m3le2rr]

That's the next step for me. I see my eye doctor in May so I'll ask for a prescription then.

:)