PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Jordan310
05-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Soon I will post new pics of my GZ with taller rear shocks, 18" f+r wheels, and relocated foot controls

Does anyone know where you can or if you can get the wheels larger on this bike?

Water Warrior 2
05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Don't have an answer but have a question. Why ?? Do you want more height/ground clearance, different handling characteristics, greater load capacity or just to be different?

Jordan310
05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Well actually I was lookiung for 17's, and for a thicker back tire. For better traction, and for improved style.
How hard would it be to get a wider tire on the rear, and larger rims?

Not hard Im thinking..

Dupo
05-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Well, actually a pain most likely. IF you find a rear rim the size you want you'll most likely have to do some messing around with the axle/spacers plus some modification to the brake and/or sprocket since it would be set up for a different bike. They do alot of rim mods for the spirit that i own and every rim mod requires some type of mod work to get it to work and function properly.

Now for a bigger tire, just roll on down to a bike shop and ask them. Depending on how much room there is between the tire and swingarm ... you might be able to go another 10 or 20 mm on the stock rim.

If its better traction you want then you should be looking at tire brands/ratings rather than thickness.

jonathan180iq
05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
A thicker tire will just slow you down. This bike doesn't make enough power to warrant a fatter tire.
Also, wheel changes are extremely difficult, costly, time-consuming and in the end, not worth it. This isn't like swapping out wheels on a car.

It's important to remember that changing things or "upgrading" simply because you want the ability to say that you've "upgraded" something doesn't necessarily make the bike any better at what it's built for. Now, some people don't car about functionality, but that's a different story.

Badbob
05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Now if I could do a direct swap for a wheel that would let me run tubeless tires. I would give that some serious consideration.

Jordan310
05-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Hmm.. Tubeless whitewalls..

Bill
05-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Now if I could do a direct swap for a wheel that would let me run tubeless tires. I would give that som serious consideration.

Now that would be a winner. So much easier (and cheaper) to get back on the road if you pick up a nail. I looked into this for my C50 since they make a C50C that comes with cast wheels and tubeless tires. These are the only wheels made to easily fit the C50. The few small changes and cost of new wheels etc. would run be between $1200 and $1500. This is not going to happen with my budget.

Cheers!

Gadzooks Mike
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
BadBob - if you find any info on replacement wheels to run tubeless tires, please yell!!

Dupo
05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Sounds like the same for my Shadow, Bill. VLX rim mod for mine is upwards of 8-1000 bucks. Thats after buying a brand new rim, relacing it, new tire, some mods for fitment. Its crazy lol. The results are stunning but just too expensive for my blood. I'm still trying to find a way to fund my rake kit for 670.00 lol

Bill
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
This is another alternative although I don't have any experience with them. Sorry I forgot how to do the link so copy and paste. The first is the company and the other 2 are articles.

http://www.wheel-works.com/

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/t ... tire_seal/ (http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/tubeless_tire_seal/)
http://www.streetchopperweb.com/tech/01 ... ke_wheels/ (http://www.streetchopperweb.com/tech/0106stc_tubeless_spoke_wheels/)

Cheers!

Dupo
05-18-2007, 02:16 PM
$59 per wheel. Thats cheaper than i thought. Thats a great deal. Too bad they arent near here. I'd go for it.

Oh, and thanks for posting that rim place. Dam near had to pick my jaw up off the desk. Cant afford those either. Dam you! LOL.

Badbob
05-22-2007, 06:28 AM
It would probably cost $100 per wheel by the time its all done.

One has to wonder how well this would hold up if you were to need a spoke adjustment? Would you need to send it back?

Bill
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
It should hold up pretty well with the spokes individually sealed before the multiple layers of rim wrapping. I believe they either replace the spokes or make sure they are in good shape and tighten/adjust each one before the sealing. However, any break in the seal at the spoke would cause a leak. They seem to have a pretty good track record. I have also seen sealed "Milwaukee Twins" tubeless wire wheels for sale in JP Cycles for around $300 so other manufactures make these too.
At about $100/wheel including shipping it may be a reasonable option and pay for itself (break even) if you pick up a nail. It would also allow you to plug the tire and get back on the road within minutes without having to take half a day and everything apart to replace the tube. Another advantage to tubeless is the leak would be potentially slower allowing you to keep the bike under control until you stop.

Cheers!

2006 gz
05-27-2007, 11:32 PM
just found my first 18" rim on ebay, came off of a ts 250 suzuki. ordered some spokes and i will relace it to my existing front hub. hope to find another for the rear to level out the bikes stance. thinking this should be a more stable ride at speed? definatley better looking as i prefer to go in the direction opposite of cruiser style. and there is room in the rear with my 13.5" shocks from a sportster. it sharpened the head angle and this bike handles a whole lot better!!

2006 gz
05-27-2007, 11:34 PM
just found my first 18" rim on ebay, came off of a ts 250 suzuki. ordered some spokes and i will relace it to my existing front hub. hope to find another for the rear to level out the bikes stance. thinking this should be a more stable ride at speed? definatley better looking as i prefer to go in the direction opposite of cruiser style. and there is room in the rear with my 13.5" shocks from a sportster. it sharpened the head angle and this bike handles a whole lot better!!

Jordan310
05-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Pics! Pics!