PDA

View Full Version : Will a G S 500 Bolt up?

RamAir
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
With little to no mods to the GZ250 Frame???
You all may remeber me :??: . Well yes the new motor blew as well :skull: Only after 557.5km. I think a partical cloged an oil vain going to the top of the motor cuz the cam bearings spun!!!

So now I am looking again and why not see if I can get something better out of it. So this is what I was thinking. Here is a link.

Any one got any ideas, have this kinda bike, or even tried this before?

http://www.ozmoto.com/Ozmoto%20web/publ ... 0GS500.jpg (http://www.ozmoto.com/Ozmoto%20web/public_html/Suzuki%20GS500.jpg)

patrick_777
06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
OMG.

:popcorn:

RamAir
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
OMG.

:popcorn:

lol what?

Easy Rider
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
With little to no mods???

That's a nice picture but just exactly what is it that you are asking.
Will what bolt up to what ??

How about this: You sell what's left of your old bike for parts and save up a little more to go with that and buy yourself a whole bike that actually runs ?? :roll:

What a radical idea !! :poke2:

RamAir
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM

How about this: You sell what's left of your old bike for parts and save up a little more to go with that and buy yourself a whole bike that actually runs ?? :roll:

I love my bike and again 600 bones for a new gz250 motor is better the 3 or 4 Gs plus insurance for the year. Cuz I am broke! Will that motor pretty much bolt up to the GZ's frame?

music man
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
I love my bike and again 600 bones for a new gz250 motor is better the 3 or 4 Gs plus insurance for the year. Cuz I am broke! Will that motor pretty much bolt up to the GZ's frame?

First, are you saying you can get a complete GS500 engine for 600 dollars, and no one on here is going to know if that engine will bolt up without modification, but I can venture a good guess, HELL NO.

But....... your best bet, if you just really insist on doing this is to find a Suzuki DR350 engine, it is about the closest your going to get to a perfect fitting replacement engine, now don't come back saying, Music Man said it would fit and it doesn't, I am not in any way saying that it will bolt up, just saying that that would be the best engine to try out.

And let us know how it goes when you get done.

ncff07
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM

I like this idea better. Theres no guarantee you could get anything in there without mods cept a gz250 engine. You run the risk of paying for a new engine and change things to try and get it set up and not be able to then your stuck with an expensive mistake you cant do anything with. And i dont know about insurance up there but here its not bad for the GZ. $36.42 every six months.

Easy Rider
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I love my bike and again 600 bones for a new gz250 motor

Good used GZ's can be had for as little as $1000; maybe less if you get lucky.

And NO, the GS 500 engine will not "bolt up".......unless you are starting with a GS 500 frame.

PS....Regardless of what you get next, it won't last long if you ride it at WOT all the time and do not keep oil in it !! Good luck. :biggrin:

patrick_777
06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I feel sad for this bike.

Easy Rider
06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I feel sad for this bike.

That is a nice way to put it.
I will not comment further.

RamAir
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Man I was tuff on the first motor yes. But I babyed the second one got on the highway doing 100, 110 kph and after about 20 to 30 min stated makin that noise again when the top spun the bearings!! And ncff07 that is really cheap my first year was almost as much as the bike!!!!!! Oh well we will see.

Water Warrior 2
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
IIRC, there is only one other engine that will fit the frame in a 250 displacement and it is a V-twin made by Suzuki and really expensive to find. I highly doubt a larger engine can be shoehorned into the frame without major frame mods and a lot of fabricating of special parts. Your best bet might be a bike that is a little bigger b/c I think you are asking the GZ to do a little more than it was designed to do. Coming from Toronto you know that traffic is always in race mode.

blaine
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
The chinese made "HENSIM" is a G.Z. frame with a 250 Honda Rebel engine

RamAir
06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Blaine thats a good idea but is the rebel motor that much better then the GZ??

blaine
06-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Blaine thats a good idea but is the rebel motor that much better then the GZ??

IMHO I would say probably not as good.I don't know what mods were made to make engine fit.

RamAir
06-09-2010, 02:24 AM
I guess by what I read here I am just to big a dreammer! Oh well. Normal engine here I come! :(

alantf
06-09-2010, 05:14 AM
I babyed the second one got on the highway doing 100, 110 kph

That is NOT babying! Susuki say that the first 1600 km are the most important in the life of the bike. It needs running in, & because of the tight fit of new parts, high speeds can cause heat, which makes the parts even tighter, & this is what causes early engine failure. They recommend no more than ½ throttle for the first 800 km, & no more than ¾ throttle for the next 800 km. I know some folk will disagree, but in 45 years of riding/driving I've ALWAYS run in the engines to manufacturers specs, & had no problems. :2tup:

RamAir
06-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I babyed the second one got on the highway doing 100, 110 kph

That is NOT babying! Susuki say that the first 1600 km are the most important in the life of the bike. It needs running in, & because of the tight fit of new parts, high speeds can cause heat, which makes the parts even tighter, & this is what causes early engine failure. They recommend no more than ½ throttle for the first 800 km, & no more than ¾ throttle for the next 800 km. I know some folk will disagree, but in 45 years of riding/driving I've ALWAYS run in the engines to manufacturers specs, & had no problems. :2tup:

I am so sorry alantf we may have a missunderstanding here. The "new" engine was a used one, with about 500km more then my old one that blew. It have 16,600km on it when I got it and in 557.5km was done! Like I said I think something for the oil feed to the top of the motor got clogded and no oil got to the top of the motor that is the only thing I can think of? Cuz over reving would not couse just the cam bearings to get whiped out. I did not drive this motor nearly as hard as last one. Also I use royal purple, K&N oil filter got myself a new air filter when I got the motor, and the best sparkplug mony can buy, and do oilchanges whithin the time frame so yes I think I do baby my bike, but I do expect it to work for my love. But I still love it no matter what! :blush: :itsokay:

But I am with ya on always following Manufactures specs! Thats a big :2tup: right there! Do it 100% or dont do it at all!

RamAir
06-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I wish I got a new one, tahts what my mom told me to do but I could not find a new one and even if you did I think they would be like 3G's *sad*