PDA

View Full Version : Creating a GZ250 Bobber

kedebrav00
06-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello Guys,
as some of you may know I just purchased my first motorcycle. Since I am a beginner rider I decided to buy a GZ250. I have also decided that I want my bike to stand out a bit since I live in NYC. I've looked into converting my bike into a Bobber. If anyone has been able to successfully do this please send me some photos and places where you purchased you equipment. i.e. - (Exhaust, Handle Bars, Solo Seats, Drop suspension, converting the fenders, etc...) Please note that I am on a tight budget so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sarris
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Here is a thread on this site. This bobber was done on the cheap too. I'd contact this guy for more info.

Bobber (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3458)

Good Luck. :)

kedebrav00
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Hello Guys,
as some of you may know I just purchased my first motorcycle. Since I am a beginner rider I decided to buy a GZ250. I have also decided that I want my bike to stand out a bit since I live in NYC. I've looked into converting my bike into a Bobber. If anyone has been able to successfully do this please send me some photos and places where you purchased you equipment. i.e. - (Exhaust, Handle Bars, Solo Seats, Drop suspension, converting the fenders, etc...) Please note that I am on a tight budget so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Easy Rider
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
as some of you may know I just purchased my first motorcycle.

As ALL of us certainly know, this is the THIRD time you have posted EXACTLY the same message.

WHY ?? :??:

bonehead
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
My turn, let's not pick on the newbie. :crackup

Water Warrior 2
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Note to any/all newbies. No need to post more than once. We will find you and offer any/all assistance to help. It is also a bit less confusing when all the info is in one place rather than spread out through the forum. Not picking on you, just for your information.

Easy Rider
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
My turn, let's not pick on the newbie. :crackup

Good thing you were smilin' when you said that.
Them's fighting words in some forums; I now participate in one less as a result. :cry:
(Temporarily at least.)

bonehead
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Gotta have a laugh to keep from cryin'.

kedebrav00
06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
sorry... I'm also new to this forum thing... My apologies

Water Warrior 2
06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
sorry... I'm also new to this forum thing... My apologies
We do tend to take a poke or 2 at newbies but mostly in good fun. Take a moment, take a deep breath, give your head a shake and wade right in. And always(works for me)read the forum with a smile on your face.

kedebrav00
08-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I've been working on my GZ for the last week or so. Its been a really hard, yet fun experience. I just wanted to say to those people out there that are thinking about doing it yourself experience, take rust into consideration. No one ever mentioned that if a nut or bolt is rusted it will add a few hours to you project.

emory70
08-07-2010, 06:43 AM
pb blaster is your friend. pays to have a fire wrench on hand too.

kedebrav00
08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey Guys im at the cutting the muffler off stage of my Bobber.
I was about to cut off last week saturday but I decided to call my mechanic first. He went on this huge dialog about if I cut the muffler I'm going to have to recarb the engine, because the air gas intake ratio. I know a few post have been made about to increase speed. I am solely cutting my muffler for aesthetics. Can you guys weigh in on if I need to recarb the engine and get a kit and all that stuff. Remember I just want the bike to look lean. I love the way it performs now, I don't care to change it.

blaine
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
You normally don't need to rejet unless you change the air box or change to a K-N filter.Been there done that.
:) :cool:

Easy Rider
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Remember I just want the bike to look lean. I love the way it performs now, I don't care to change it.

Just exactly what do you intend to cut.....and how much ??

Whatever you do, the muffler likely won't "muffle" anymore and you may not like the resulting sound.

It probably won't be necessary to re-jet.....unless you end up with bare header pipes, that is......which would be LOUD for such a little bike.

I think that the only practical thing to do is to find a slip-on replacement muffler that is shorter and cut the whole muffler off and replace it......but then you have to worry about how to firmly attach it.

My personal opinion is that it will be wasted effort because what you end up with will look worse than the stock cone.......which is already pretty "lean" compared to most bikes.

kedebrav00
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
][attachment=3:39kbxnnm]1.jpg[/attachment:39kbxnnm][attachment=2:39kbxnnm]2.jpg[/attachment:39kbxnnm][attachment=1:39kbxnnm]5.jpg[/attachment:39kbxnnm][attachment=0]6.jpg[/attachment

kedebrav00
11-13-2010, 05:59 PM
[attachment=4:2z6kewiw]6.jpg[/attachment:2z6kewiw][attachment=3:2z6kewiw]7.jpg[/attachment:2z6kewiw][attachment=2:2z6kewiw]8.jpg[/attachment:2z6kewiw][attachment=1:2z6kewiw]11.jpg[/attachment:2z6kewiw][attachment=0:2z6kewiw]13.jpg[/attachment:2z6kewiw]more pics

kedebrav00
11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
[attachment=3:22fbv0fh]41.jpg[/attachment:22fbv0fh][attachment=2:22fbv0fh]42.jpg[/attachment:22fbv0fh][attachment=1:22fbv0fh]44.jpg[/attachment:22fbv0fh][attachment=0:22fbv0fh]45.jpg[/attachment:22fbv0fh]

Water Warrior 2
11-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Is it my imagination or did you paint over the oil sight glass ??

kraznos
11-14-2010, 12:20 PM
!

kedebrav00
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
yeah that was a rookie mistake, my mechanic was going crazy when he saw that....lol

Shammua
03-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Can you tell me what kind of paint you used? I can't tell from the picture.
Can you take another pic of the handle bars now so I can see better how it looks finished?
From the day my friend parked her bike in my garage to now that I have bought it from her I have wanted to do close to the same thing.
Oh yeah what kind of tires are those? Are those still the same tires? They seem to be closer to the same size, but then again that could just be me.
Would you also take a pic of the rear so I can see light placement?

All in all I plan on some heavy modding of my GZ250. Then when my daughter is old enough she is getting it and I will by then have a larger bike of my own.
How much cutting did you have to do and what was your main cutting tool?

For everyone else reading this, is there much to do that I can finally justify getting the welder I have been wanting? (FYI I do all my own auto work too, including mods)

Thanks I will be posting more and more once I get this little gem on the road and it warms up.

Matt Holland

alantf
03-01-2011, 05:44 AM
is there much to do that I can finally justify getting the welder I have been wanting?

Even if there isn't, just tell your wife that there IS :whistle: That way, she'll let you get one. It's a great tool to have, & I've always wanted one, but never had a good enough excuse. :roll:

blaine
03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Can you tell me what kind of paint you used?

One word of caution.Be careful when filling up.One drop of gas can ruin a paint job done by spray can,unless it is professionally clear coated. :) :cool:

Shammua
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Can you tell me what kind of paint you used?

One word of caution.Be careful when filling up.One drop of gas can ruin a paint job done by spray can,unless it is professionally clear coated. :) :cool:

:retard: REALLY!!!! :neener: Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way with my Jeep Wrangler. I did some painting on it with a rattle can and then has some grease on it and didn't think about it and cleaned the grease (and paint) right off with gas... lol
So with that being said do you have any suggestions for a good clear coat seal?

Sham

blaine
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
If you want to do it yourself,you need to use a two part clear coat.There is one you can buy in aerosol called SprayMax.It must be used as soon as you activate the two parts or it will harden in the can.Google SprayMax and decide for yourself.
:) :cool: