PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap???

beccagz250
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a 250 as you already know, I want to put a bigger engine in it to make is faster. How would I do this, Can I use any motorcycle engine, or does it have to be a certain kind?? and Where can I buy a good engine from?? :??:

alantf
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I want a bigger engine in it to make is faster. and Where can I buy a good engine from??

Preferably a dealer. Oh, and make sure that it's got a frame round it, and wheels. You'll find that it's called a bigger/more powerful bike. :retard:

Easy Rider
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a 250 as you already know, I want to put a bigger engine in it to make is faster. How would I do this, Can I use any motorcycle engine, or does it have to be a certain kind?? and Where can I buy a good engine from?? :??:

Seriously......forget it.

It's been discussed before and even tried, more or less.
It is not as easy as you seem to think.
Bottom like is that it is not practical because nothing fits.

If you want/need more power, start shopping for a bike with a bigger engine already IN it.

beccagz250
07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
alantf, you dont need to be an asshole, I had a question... and im a new rider so I dont know these things... so fuck off, and thanks easy rider. I will look for a bigger bike. :)

BillInGA
07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
alantf, you dont need to be an asshole, I had a question... and im a new rider so I dont know these things... so fuck off, and thanks easy rider. I will look for a bigger bike. :)

Wow, that was a little harsh. To be honest, I was thinking the same thing even before I read alantf's reply. As Easy said, It's a pretty common topic, each discussion coming to the same general conclusion. So alantf's reply was not only obvious, it's pretty much required. :)

Moving forward, I've been a GZ250 rider for about 5 years and just moved up to a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (like last weekend). I still love the GZ, but i love the Vulcan too. I did a lot of research and the Vulcan was the best fit for my needs.

So, do you want a bigger bike? Nothing wrong with that. What is it that you're looking for in a motorcycle that the GZ250 doesn't do for you?

Cheers,

Bill

alantf
07-09-2010, 04:34 PM

If you want to use that sort of language when I was giving a serious reply then try to find a site that suits your attitude. :fu:

ncff07
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Geez I thought alantf's reply was dead on with a little sarcasm. made me laugh.

But anyways, as you said your a new rider i'd keep the gz till you get more miles in It would really suck to get a nice, more powerful bike and lay it down just cause of inexperience.

Easy Rider
07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
alantf, you dont need to be an asshole,

He wasn't trying to be an asshole, he was TRYING to be funny.
Guess it didn't work. :cry:

Things do tend to get a little "course" around here at times.
I think you need to lighten up just a bit.

Water Warrior 2
07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Becca, you really gotta read the posts with a smile on your face and more patience or us old guys will slaughter you. However Alantf said it, it is true. A bigger bike is in your future. Take a look at a S-40 from Suzuki. It is very similar to the GZ in appearance and appeal but has a 650 cc engine. Weighs in about 60 lbs more which is pretty good. Still a thumper like the GZ but with much bigger thumps.
Also look at the Vulcan as mentioned, a fine bike with a good track record from happy owners. There are probably a lot of bikes out there to meet your requirements but you need to find them and research them. You could buy Easy's bike and I bet he would even deliver it for a price.

Easy Rider
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
You could buy Easy's bike and I bet he would even deliver it for a price.

Funny.....not !! NOT for sale. :neener:

Water Warrior 2
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
[quote="Water Warrior":qfczmn1t]You could buy Easy's bike and I bet he would even deliver it for a price.

Funny.....not !! NOT for sale. :neener:[/quote:qfczmn1t]
Even at a grossly overinflated price ? My Vstrom would be gone tomorrow if some one just had to have it no matter what their cost to purchase. There are plenty of other bikes out there to ride and enjoy.

Easy Rider
07-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Even at a grossly overinflated price ?

Everything has a price but right at the moment, no.
I'm thoroughly satisfied for the time being.
I've got everything set the way I like it and don't want to start over again.
Money isn't everything.

Now.....if the NT700 was a little closer to the ground...... :roll:

mole2
07-12-2010, 12:57 AM

He was giving you a direct answer with some humor to it. You are a new rider so why don't you give the GZ some more time or is there something that isn't working out for you?

:)

joeladams20
07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I would love to swap out my engine instead of buying a whole new bike someday to upgrade, and totally would if I could. Nothing is impossible. If you ever figure out how to swap that engine with a bigger one, which would be really sweat - let us know and show us pictures!

Water Warrior 2
07-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Power mods to a bike will just let you find the weakest link in the chain. Fix that and the next weakest link will rear it's ugly head. You will always overburden something beyond it's design.

emory70
08-07-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah, that's called being a hot rodder. sure it may not be reasonable or sane to try and beef up a geezer. so what?

yeah, i think beccagz250 overreacted, but i too am tired of all the negativity on this site. there is a lot of good info, but way too much criticism. if a guy wants to butcher a $1500 bike, so be it. how much value can you ruin on one of these things?

if you don't agree with what a guy wants to do, then just hit the back button and ignore it. when some tool starts a thread on turbos or nitrous, and he sees that nobody is answering him, he will get the same information that he gets by the kinds of comments you gave this guy.

ncff07
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
uhhh this guy is a girl. :lol:

Viirin
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
This entire thread is hilarious :lol:

Easy Rider
08-07-2010, 11:27 PM
if you don't agree with what a guy wants to do, then just hit the back button and ignore it. when some tool starts a thread on turbos or nitrous,

We don't get many "tools" on here. (except where this thread is going might prove me wrong...)

What we DO get is newbies who honestly think they can spend a couple of hours and $20 or so and double the HP their bike makes.
And they bought their little thumper to ride, not to race or to turn into a show bike.

What I don't appreciate on this forum......or any other.....is one user trying to tell all the others what they should and should NOT be saying. If you are going to continue that tact......you can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. :shocked:

Want to debate the specifics of something that is said: Good.
Want to tell us what we should DO.....not so good. :skull:

Sarris
08-08-2010, 09:47 AM
People will be people will be people will be people will be people........

Everyone is an ass...... except me of course!

Chill, it's a joke.

:lol: :??: :lol: :??: :lol: :??: :lol: :??:

trykemike
11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
check out this link for a 300 cc upgrade kit. All the parts the gn is the same engine as the gz.

looks like a big performance boost. Maybe coupled with 16 tooth front sprocket 85-90 mph is possible.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GN300-GN250-BIG-B ... 0589351554 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GN300-GN250-BIG-BORE-cylinder-Improve-performance-/280589351554)

Water Warrior 2
11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
A 12% increase in HP and torque would be nice and the price is right for such a gain. A slightly higher cruising speed with stock gearing or larger counter sprocket would still leave some reserve power for hills and headwinds. Hopefully the carb would be able to keep up with the added displacement. The only other drawback for some riders might be less mileage per gallon and a slight bit more vibration.
Do it and we will all see how it works.

PhyPhoestilic
11-18-2010, 03:14 AM
hopefully someone would be willing to try that kit and let us know how it goes.

dentheman
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Wouldn't installing that kit also require a new or modified carb and/or exhaust to handle the increased cc's? The air intake as well? Also the starter would have to handle the additional mass, and the crankshaft balance weights would be less effective with the mass of the larger piston, and would the stock valves allow sufficient aspiration? Too many unanswered questions, I think.

Water Warrior 2
11-18-2010, 09:52 PM
#1 :It might work well without other mods. The engine just may be limited to a little lower RPM because it will run out of fuel and exhaust flow capabilities. #2 :A 20% increase in displacement is quite a bit without other mods so it very well may be a gamble. There you go..........2 ways to look at it.

RamAir
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
check out this link for a 300 cc upgrade kit. All the parts the gn is the same engine as the gz.

looks like a big performance boost. Maybe coupled with 16 tooth front sprocket 85-90 mph is possible.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GN300-GN250-BIG-B ... 0589351554 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GN300-GN250-BIG-BORE-cylinder-Improve-performance-/280589351554)

First off those speeds are possible in our bikes! (I am 150lbs and have a windsheld so that kinda helps, a lot!) Most I hit was in between those numbers and that was all stock with sadel bags and luggeds!

This is sooo cool! Would the jet kit mod work with this to keep it fed? :drool:

Any edvise on anyone who has tried this?? How will it affect the mpg?

blaine
11-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I would think it would drop mileage somewhat .I think a re jet would be all that is required.
:cool: :biggrin:

dentheman
11-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I would think it would drop mileage somewhat .As for federal,you fail as soon as you adjust the idle mixture.Not something I would be concerned with.
:cool: :biggrin: :??:

blaine
11-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I would think it would drop mileage somewhat .As for federal,you fail as soon as you adjust the idle mixture.Not something I would be concerned with.
:cool: :biggrin: :??:

Sorry.Read that completely wrong the first time around. :blush: :tongue:

mike69
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I have rode cycles for 35 years,then hurt my back and went thru several operation.Now time to start riding again.I bought a 99 GZ that does not run for $200.Really clean bike.Also bought a 99 DR 650 that is wrecked but runs great.Now time to see if I can redneck them together.I really just want to do an engine swap but space is limited as yall know.Good thing I have a torch and welder.Dont know how this is going to work yet.Havent got the bikes side by side yet to put tape measures on them.Hopefully will have them both home by this weekend.Yall wish me luck and I will post picks if I can figure a way to make this work.

RamAir
08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I know this is an old post but post what ya did! Would be nice to see the work.

Water Warrior 2
08-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I know this is an old post but post what ya did! Would be nice to see the work.
I doubt he will be back. If anything happened to the project we would heard by now. But a big :2tup: for reading old posts and being curious.

RamAir
08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
haha well a guy can dream no?

celesboy1
07-14-2015, 04:24 AM

just do boreup / strokeup / both ways....its not easy thing to do by ourself....but with certain skill and passion...YES it works

Water Warrior 2
07-14-2015, 09:28 PM
just do boreup / strokeup / both ways....its not easy thing to do by ourself....but with certain skill and passion...YES it works
How much increase in cc's will you get with a bore n stroke job?

celesboy1
07-15-2015, 02:42 AM
How much increase in cc's will you get with a bore n stroke job?

Several of my friend do boreup with
76mm piston (originally piston of daihatsu zebra)...about 275cc
78mm piston (originally piston of KIA sephia) about...300cc
Both of piston above has same stroke pin diameter with GZ so its make modding job easier

1.buy one of piston above
2.bring cylinder block to garage that have honing machine etc....
3.buy new diesel boring and process till its have same inner diameter with our new big piston
4.reshape edge of dome head with foredom rotary tool till its match with new diameter piston (its kind of dentist drill tool)

PS : not all of gs250 here has do boreup...mostly still using original piston including me...
But replace stock piston with larger diameter still a common mod even for a 125cc cub

spldart
07-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Ok. I got a question.
78 mm is definitely WAY out of tolerance for suzuki spec for the cylinder.
What kind of reliability are people doing the 78 mm overbore getting?
... and the 76 mm overbore?

I can believe crazy stuff like that has been done but I'm curious about longevity.

celesboy1
07-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Ok. I got a question.
78 mm is definitely WAY out of tolerance for suzuki spec for the cylinder.
What kind of reliability are people doing the 78 mm overbore getting?
... and the 76 mm overbore?

I can believe crazy stuff like that has been done but I'm curious about longevity.

pardon me....way out of tolerance ? sure if u use stock boring (3,5mm stock boring...after honing process it will be very thin or....gone)....but in here we ALWAYS buy new diesel engine boring

gz have 3,5mm stock boring
http://www.otomotifnet.com/otoweb/images/image/2010/OtoTips/juli2010minggu5-batasanboreupyamahajupitermx02-Arseen.jpg

very good question...durability and reliability

- story is....back then several years ago when boreup and strokeup is not popular for commuter bike (at those time people still doubt about durability after the mod)...coz...yes...many of boreup mod blow (broken) and cylinder jugs was rip apart....and u can say if its totally fail...big yes...(perhaps its happened early 2000 , i don't recall it precisely)

but...for certain people (street illegal racer or even legal cub bike race FFA trophy) its not too expensive to repair when their engine blows(just need 1-2days to overhaul + about USD100-150....they dont care as long as they win and get some hundred USD or trophy...(nowadays theres still many cub race whether legal and illegal...both of it still have huge fans)

so...in FFA class....cub that originally for example 125cc....may free to tune till the max include increase displacement as big as they can do....

when it blows....they will start over and over to repair those broke engine....

so...in the end...many of bike tuner (garage) realize...."why dont we do some research to mod engine for non-racer person ?" so they can have faster bike without buy new bigger bike...

still...precision honing machine(plus few other purpose of machinery) and high skills/experienced tuner guy absolutely needed for this kind of mod...

since its just needed few hundred bucks (in USD currency)....theres many people interested with modding engine (moderate specs....not race specs)
coz even its fail...its wont damage their(bike owner) wallet too much...

years by years passed....and in the end....they (mechanic/tuner) has many experienced for mod up commuter engines without being fail (coz they was learned what kind of things that makes their mod fails in past)

so...i will make sure if the mechanic competent before send my bike into garage (not all mechanic have certain skills and experience and high precision honing machine...cnc machine...etc)

but if 3 factors above are met....boreup and strokeup bike will ready even for interstate long haul journey

even few garage offer exclusive research for each person(depend on bike owner budget)....(but its need long time...about a month from start to finish)

PS : there's 2 most reason why boreup engine blow
- compresion ratio is too high (after boreup/strokeup....we need to measuring cylinder compression and make sure its not to high that can make piston tear apart)

- thickness of boring....yes , originally GZ has 3,5mm thickness boring...so we need to stay in those measurement no matter what or better if we can add little more thickness (exsample 4mm) measuring after honing bore process done

spldart
07-15-2015, 07:34 AM
So bottom line is if we US/Canadians wanted to do a crazy overbore then we need a machine
shop that has experience machining, outside the box, on this particular motor.

One thing is for sure. Your typical good, bad or otherwise machine shop here in the US will
not allow us to do this mod because of insurance reasons because it's way to far out of
Suzuki tolerance.
Heck. Barely anyone will turn a rotor even a thousandth past tolerance anymore. :(

I need to make friends with a new machine shop. This sounds fun and the only way I could
do it here is to have it happen 'off the books'. :)

celesboy1
07-15-2015, 07:44 AM
some exsample if its fail

before and after repair (cost about US$20 for repair fee)
http://ratmotorsport.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/sulap-head-jebol.jpg

celesboy1
07-15-2015, 07:53 AM
So bottom line is if we US/Canadians wanted to do a crazy overbore then we need a machine
shop that has experience machining, outside the box, on this particular motor.

yes...a big yes...lathe machine , honing machine , pneumatic grinder, even cnc machine perhaps...is what u need

One thing is for sure. Your typical good, bad or otherwise machine shop here in the US will
not allow us to do this mod because of insurance reasons because it's way to far out of
Suzuki tolerance.
Heck. Barely anyone will turn a rotor even a thousandth past tolerance anymore. :(

ohh...i see....
theres no insurance in here at all

I need to make friends with a new machine shop. This sounds fun and the only way I could
do it here is to have it happen 'off the books'. :)

yes...modding bikes is fun things to do....(i dont want my bike totally same with another even its still same GS250)...dont take it wrong....many of tuner here are booksworm too...and perhaps one of their bible was in pics below

https://ratmotorsport.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sp_a22802.jpg?w=300&h=179

https://ratmotorsport.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sp_a22823.jpg?w=614