PDA

View Full Version : Helmet

Nutterhead
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
So I am trying to decide what kind of helmet to purchase. Here in Ohio you have to wear one with your temps and for the first year once you get your endorsment. The problem is I know to be the most safe I should get a full face helmet, but I am leaning more towards a half helment. So I'd like to hear what everyon has to say about it? What kind do you wear and why?

alanmcorcoran
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a full and a three quarter. Wear the 3/4 around town and the full on the freeway. Don't really have any logic why but I like wearing the 3/4 much better than the full, but there is no protection for your lower face. Full face is the way to go if you want the most protection, but also weigh the most and are most annoying to wear. They will help cut down on wind a bit if you don't have a windshield.

If you ride for long periods of time, invest in a lighter weight (more expensive) helmet. Mine are on the heavy side and I really feel it after two or three hours.

Do you wear glasses? Then you might need a flip-up or a modular kind if you get a full face.

Make sure the stuffing is removable and washable. Make sure you try on the helmet and get some expert advice on the fit. (Should be tight on your cheeks - and a little "extra" tight when new as they will compress over the first two weeks.) All sizes are different, even within the same manufacturer. Only buy helmets online that you have already purchased or tried on.

There are a lot of motorcyle accident picture sites you can look at that show the aftermath of helmets. If you look at one of them, you might be more inclined to go with a full-face. Personally, I think it's a matter of choice - riding a motorcycle is dangerous whether you have a helmet or not, but as a relative newb, I think I am more than likely to have a serious crash at some point and I don't want to add to the risk of being brain damaged or have my face all fucked up.

Good luck Nutter - I am in the market for a new (lighter) helmet myself and, frankly, shopping for one is a pain in the ass.

Sarris
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer and a 3/4 Nolan in the winter. I find that it's too damn hot here in Florida for anything more. It's more likely that I'll have a heat stroke rather than crash. The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either. I don't like the Teenage Mutant Turtle look (Donatello!!) and prefer to ride in jeans, t-shirt (black of course), and riding boots in the summer.

I'm ready, so........flame on.

:)

Nutterhead
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either.

I have the claustrophobic feeling also with full face. I have asked what ATFGATFT stands for so I know but what exactly does it mean? Whats the theory behind it?

Sarris
08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
All The Gear All The Time with my Nixonian f'n additions.

It basically means armored pants, armored jacket, gloves, full face helmet, and boots all the time. Too damn much stuff for me.

Alan's analysis above is quite thorough and accurate. It's your butt and your decision.

:lol: :skull:

Nutterhead
08-06-2010, 03:18 PM
got it!

GZ Jess
08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I always wear jeans and leather over the ankle boots. I usually wear a 1/2 helmet but have been known to skip that once in a while (I know bad girl). I do have a mesh jacket that is awesome for summer nights and the onslaught of painful bugs in the country and for any highway riding but I don't wear it all the time either. I like leather chaps and coats when it is cold. I always wear a bandanna over my forehead and hair and have started carrying a second to wear like a cowboy in the rain and especially buggy nights to protect the bottom of my face.

Oh and I do wear a shirt LOL usually a tank top or T-shirt.

Jessica

Viirin
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Hahaha - This ought to be good one Sarris

I wear caberg rhino, it's a flip-face helmet with full cover - I never wore anything else but it's pretty light, has a built in sun visor that you can slide up or down and you can flip it up for those days that are just too hot to have it closed (although it's seldom hot in Ireland) - I tried wearing a half helmet once, really didn't like it, i guess it's because i started riding with a full face from the get-go and i've been conditioned to wear them, you hear an awful lot more with the half face and i guess i didn't like that, made me feel really exposed or something.

I guess a full face or half face won't make that much of a difference in a BAD crash but you should probably go for what ever feels best for you. For me, it also happened to be the safest. A full face gives me the feeling of safety which goes hand-in-hand with a comfortable ride....but what the hell would I know, for some reason I feel safer riding with a backpack although it doesn't do anything!

Regardless of which type you go for - make sure you go for one of them and not the natural look!

Vii

blaine
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either. I don't like the Teenage Mutant Turtle look (Donatello!!) and prefer to ride in jeans, t-shirt (black of course), and riding boots in the summer.

:plus1:

I too wear a 1/2 helmet.I tried a full face helmet,very claustrophobic!! To each his own.
:hide:

ncff07
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I wear half helmets. Only type I own(2 of them) and reason being is because I have a Cochlear Implant and I'd be deaf wearing a full face helmet since I cant use the CI with one it would knock it off. Although I've been meaning to get some goggles to fit over my glasses too ever since a big bug went SPLAT right in the center of the right side of my glasses one day!

dhgeyer
08-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a full face and a 3/4. For longer rides, or at highway speeds, the full face helmet is much more comfortable. The wind in your face is great, but only for so long, and then it adds to fatigue. Also, I've been hit by sand off a truck, big bugs, and various airborne objects enough to appreciate the extra protection of that face shield.

When it's really hot, and I'm not going that far or that fast I wear the 3/4. I don't like it as much, but at some point it's safer not to fry your brain.

As for crash safety, it has been established by at least one study that a disproportionate amount of hits on helmets are on the front when accidents happen. This means that a full face helmet has a greater safety differential than you would think just by the relatively smaller area it protects.

I have seen the aftermath of a couple of accidents in which people were wearing half helmets, and I would never wear one of those. Upon impact they have too much potential for sliding around, leaving areas unprotected that should be. I remember in particular being first on the scene of a crash involving an older gentleman. He had a very bad gash over his eye where the helmet should have been. It must have slid back, and his head hit the handlebars, or whatever he hit. The Snell Memorial Foundation won't even test half helmets, or develop a standard for them.

I have found that the claustrophobic feeling of a full face helmet goes away after you wear one for a while. To me, it feels like a very comfortable extension of my head. I feel much better with it on, and enjoy the ride more. I've been wearing them for years.

You can wear glasses under a full face helmet. You put the helmet on first, lift the face shield, then put on the glasses. I've worn sunglasses that way for years. When touring, when a FF helmet is all I have, I have removed the face shield or simply ridden with it up when the weather got really hot. Still hotter than a 3/4, but not by a huge amount. Of course you need glasses or goggles if you do that, same as you would for a 3/4 helmet.

I'm not a full ATGATT guy, but close to it. Having survived one serious crash with only very minor injuries because of the gear I was wearing, I'm a believer. My wife is alive today because of the gear she was wearing. I'll shed gear only under the most extreme conditions of heat and humidity. Mesh gear actually can keep you cooler in hot, sunny weather, as it concentrates airflow and keeps the Sun off your skin.

Good safety gear requires a substantial investment of money, and also the time to research what you need and what's any good. If it saves your life, or keeps you from serious injury even once, it's well worth it.

How many riders have never gone down? How many never will?

mole2
08-07-2010, 03:16 AM
I have a full face modular for the winter and two three quarter helmets with face shields for the rest of the year. I really like the 3/4 helmets as they feel more comfortable. The face shields keep the bugs out of the mouth. lol

alantf
08-07-2010, 05:17 AM
I really like the 3/4 helmets as they feel more comfortable. The face shields keep the bugs out of the mouth.

Couldn't agree more. A ¾ is the only helmet I wear. One problem though - the face shield slides up under a sort of "visor" to protect it when not in use, and at around 70 mph the wind gets under the visor, & tries to push the helmet back, off my head. A bit uncomfortable at times, & I have to tip my head slightly forwards to deflect the wind flow. :2tup:

Nutterhead
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I have decided to go with one of each and depending on the riding I'm doing. Thanks guys!

alanmcorcoran
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Let me know what kind you get (and what they weigh!)

bonehead
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer and a 3/4 Nolan in the winter. I find that it's too damn hot here in Florida for anything more. It's more likely that I'll have a heat stroke rather than crash. The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

Fish Baseball
08-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Full face. Yes I am one of the ATGATT crew. I also took a bird out with my head, so thats why I'll stay Full Face (Donatello I guess.)

burkbuilds
08-11-2010, 09:23 PM
You've gotten a lot of great reply's on this one, so I will only add that I wear different helmets for different weather. In the winter I actually wear a snow mobile DOT approved modular helmet. It's nice and warm, but does restrict your side vision a little. In Spring and Fall I usually wear a 3/4 helmet, but if it's pouring rain I've got another full face modular I can wear. This Summer, I thought my brain was going to burst into flames on a two hour ride at mid day to Atlanta while wearing the 3/4 helmet. I knew there was a dealership in Marietta, so I swung off the interstate and bought a half helmet and I've been wearing it ever since. Even the 1/2 helmet gets pretty hot if you have to sit still in traffic. I guess it's pretty obvious that my main criteria for a helmet is comfort.

Palaka
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I have both a full face modular and a half helmet. I will use the 1/2 for the 5 mile to and from work or when going down tot he store and back. Then use the fullface one when ever I will riding on any long strech of highway or other large roads.
There are a couple reasons to this. First, I have had a couple long rides with the half that was just really uncomfortable because the wind consently trying to take it off my head. Second, not being able to hear for the first 5 minutes or so after stopping is really annoying. (ear plugs do come in handy sometimes). I also will keep a bandana in my pocket or saddlebags for if it starts to rain or have to ride on a road with a lot of construction when I am wearing my half.
I will always wear pants of some type, boots, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt and if I am riding anytime when the sun is not up or low light conditions I will wear a reflective vest. I also have a nice mesh jacket for the highway rides.
As for which helmet I think is best is a hard choice for me I like both. The half is quick, easy and cool but doesn't give much protection for the rest of your face. The full on the other had give that protection but can be pretty miserable while sitting in traffic. Even with the modular that can flip up while at a light sometimes it is just too hot.
I think your desicion of getting both will be the best and that way you can try for yourself to figure out which one you like most.

mrlmd1
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Here's some more info to add to half helmets, and "novelty" unapproved DOT helmets.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... df&h=d7731 (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2 FTraffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FStudies%2520%26% 2520Reports%2FAssociated%2520Files%2FNovelty_Helme ts_TSF.pdf&h=d7731)

(Just click continue when you get to the Facebook page, it will open the article).

They may not stay on in a crash, don't provide the same protection as approved helmets, and you may be better off with nothing on or a baseball cap as you know what you have on your head without a false level of security of protection. This is for novelty helmets, not a half helmet approved by DOT if there is such a thing (I don't know).

Sarris
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
The Biker Fuzz as well as myself wear a DOT approved half helmet. Readily available. No Snell approval though.

:2tup:

alantf
08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Although there may be Dot & Snell approved helmets over here (I haven't looked that close) the general approval is CE. This is "a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European directives". This may be why Airoh helmets aren't on sale in America.

mrlmd1
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
That article is mainly referring to "novelty" helmets, which probably shouldn't be around. It's more of a decoration than any kind of protection.

Nutterhead
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
yea I am not even thinking of a novelty helmet. I am talking a DOT/SNELL approved half helmet.

Water Warrior 2
08-13-2010, 01:19 AM
I have 2 HJC helmets, a full face and a modular. Decent helmets at a reasonable price. I was always satisfied with the fit until I tried on a Shoei modular helmet. OMG, it fit like a second skin compared to the HJC. So my next helmet probably will be a Shoei mod. Yes the price is up there but I will be willing to pay for the comfort when the time comes to retire the HJC. My advice: get a comfy helmet regardless of price and be sure it is DOT approved of course.
Keep in mind that facial injuries make up 23 % of injuries suffered by downed riders. Everyone has to make their own choices but I want to keep my weathered old look as long as possible so it is full face and ATGATT for me.

Easy Rider
08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
OMG, it fit like a second skin compared to the HJC. So my next helmet probably will be a Shoei mod. .

You might want to give the HJCs another look before you do that.

I liked my CL-15 just fine but my new CL-16 is much better. Quieter, fits better (although one size bigger) and vents better. Also has more visor options with a "fog free" insert or replacement shields. I got a tinted insert but haven't decided if I'm gonna like that or not.

They also had new modular models on the shelf.....but at ~ $60 more, I didn't consider them seriously.

Water Warrior 2
08-13-2010, 02:19 PM
You can be sure I will look at HJC when the time comes. They might have a helmet shape and fit that is more like the Shoei but at half the $$.

alanmcorcoran
08-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I tried on a bunch this morning and, without being too scientific, decided to try an Arai. I'm currently stuck at a Honda (cage) dealer (got daughter a fit) but I'll post the model when I get home.

emory70
08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
i scored an hjc 3/4 for $30 a while back, and that's what i wore when i got my geezer. after the first day, i knew i needed to upgrade. my tiny glasses were everywhere from the wind. i had my eye on the 3/4 units with the full shield and flip down shades, at one of the local dealers for $150. while at another dealership getting my flat rear tire repaired, i spotted the clearance table. got a new hjc 3/4 with full shield (but no shades) on sale for $50 from $110. sweet. now i am invincible. j/k. but i love it. now i need sunglasses. my dad has a pair of curved lens prescription glasses, but they were $700. i guess harley people have all the money.

i wear boots, jeans, tshirt, and my 3/4 every day. i got a pair of gloves, but they make my hands go to sleep. i guess xl was too small after all

burkbuilds
08-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey, I don't like to spend a lot of money on my shades, but I do want ones that work well. I've found that BOAS Smoke Tinted Black frame wrap around polycarbonate safety glasses which meet ANSI Z87.1 standards work well for me, and I don't have to shell out a lot of money. I mail order the things from Best Materials LLC and get them a dozen at a time shipped to my house for less than $36 total including shipping. That's about $3 each and they hug my head well enough that they don't shake loose even when I'm just wearing a half helmet and going 75 mph. I can't say how they will fit your head, but if they fit, I think you will be pleased with them.

ncff07
08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
i just bought a couple pair of $4 safety glasses to fit over my regular glasses.

alanmcorcoran
08-14-2010, 01:43 AM
The helmet I got was an Arai RX-Q. Couldn't find it in the online weight chart but it is allegedly 3.5 pounds.

Water Warrior 2
08-14-2010, 03:26 AM
i wear boots, jeans, tshirt, and my 3/4 every day. i got a pair of gloves, but they make my hands go to sleep. i guess xl was too small after all
Are the gloves actual riding gloves ?? They are precurved in the finger area to help with circulation etc. My favorite glove is a Red Wing leather guantlet with a light thinsulate lining. Year round comfort even in the heat. No armor in them but a very soft sensitive leather that allows good dexterity and operation of zippers without fumbling. I recently bought some vented armored riding gloves but they are not quite to my liking due to a couple marginally short fingers that are a pain after a while. I guess they will be gifted to some one at Starbucks.

emory70
08-14-2010, 02:26 PM
yeah, they are bike gloves. poker run is the name on them. for a few minutes they are fine, but after a longer ride the suck. probably just too small. i normally like my gloves a little extra snug, probably just not a what i need on the bike.

emory70
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
something i thought of...

why do cops only wear half helmets? there has to be a reason, cause we all know they don't give very good protection.

Easy Rider
08-14-2010, 02:59 PM
why do cops only wear half helmets? there has to be a reason, cause we all know they don't give very good protection.

I'm guessing there are several reasons, not the least of which is that they want to be able to hear subtle sounds when they get OFF the bike.....like the sound of a hammer cocking or a blade locking into place. :shocked:

dhgeyer
08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I once asked a cop here in Merrimack that very question. He said that they need to be able to interact with the public. He also said that they get a deal on Bell helmets due to quantity purchases. They also ride in shirtsleeves if it's warm.

On the other hand, read up sometime on the skills training they have to have in order to pass the motor officer training schools.

alantf
08-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I still reckon that they make the most arrogant cops into traffic cops, then they take the most arrogant traffic cops and make them motorcycle cops. That's how it works in England & Spain, anyhow. :mad:

Fish Baseball
08-14-2010, 09:50 PM
well to chuck in my 2c, the Aussie cops are all FF helmets (the complete face flips up thou, so almost like a 3/4) and are required (by law too!) to be in full leathers and fluro vest, regardless of the weather. Occ Health and Saftey rules down here are not to be messed with i guess. My experience with the motorcycle police down here has been nothing but positive, they're more likely to pull you over for a chat, mostly cause they're riders as well, than actually pull you over for an infraction. Althou that could have something to do with me riding like a sane individual. So hell guys, come down under for a ride and enjoy the police bikers being more focused on keeping you upright than collecting revenue.

dhgeyer
08-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Hmmmmm, riding upside down... Never tried that - maybe add that to the "Bucket List". Fascinating place, I know. Any twisties? How are the roads?

Fish Baseball
08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Hmmmmm, riding upside down... Never tried that - maybe add that to the "Bucket List". Fascinating place, I know. Any twisties? How are the roads?

well I live 10 minutes away from Yarra Bend, which is pretty popular with the locals...
http://maps.google.com.au/m?hl=en&q=Yarra+Bend+Park,+Kew+Victoria

We've got more than our fair share of twisties, both in the hills, forest and down along the coast.
I'd go into more detail, but you can check it out for yourself on google if you look for "visit Victoria."

The roads are anywhere from great to shitfull, and the speed limits don't make sense at times, but its rarely ever too cold to ride, and I've not encountered a day yet that its too hot for ATGAT. And for you guys in the States or Canada, its cheap for you to come here!

Goddamn it, i sound like a travel agent.....

Water Warrior 2
08-17-2010, 12:54 AM
I would absolutely love to travel down under but this pension bit leaves a lot to be desired. That said, I have a lotto ticket to check tomorrow.

dhgeyer
08-17-2010, 08:23 AM
OK, wife has been after me to travel for years, and Australia is about the only place in the World I'm all that curious about. I just broached the subject, and she didn't throw anything. Consider it officially on my bucket list.

Have to take a ship of course. They won't take a bike on a plane I'm pretty sure, and I'm not ready for the full body scans anyway. Nice freighter would be good - keep the fares low. "Honey, we're going on a cruise!".

alantf
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Try stealing a sheep, then they'll send you for free. They used to, anyhow. :crackup

Water Warrior 2
08-18-2010, 04:59 AM
DH, get over there any way you can and rent a bike. Probably more cost effective than shipping your own ride there and back.

dhgeyer
08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Try stealing a sheep, then they'll send you for free. They used to, anyhow. :crackup

Do I get to keep the sheep? After my wife sees the accommodations on a tramp steamer I might need it..........

dhgeyer
08-19-2010, 08:39 AM
DH, get over there any way you can and rent a bike. Probably more cost effective than shipping your own ride there and back.

Good Idea. Did that when we flew to California in 2001, but all I could find to rent was a Harley. It was OK, but after 3 or 4 hundred miles it got old. Maybe there's more variety down under.

frempath
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a Jmax 3/4 helmet that I am quite happy with. I has a full clear shield and a tinted 1/2 shield that may be tilted up and down independently or may be removed completely and replaced with a visor.

Fish Baseball
08-20-2010, 06:21 AM

Good Idea. Did that when we flew to California in 2001, but all I could find to rent was a Harley. It was OK, but after 3 or 4 hundred miles it got old. Maybe there's more variety down under.

http://www.garnersmotorcycles.com.au/road_bikes%2028%20+%20days.html

yup, and this is the expensive local store.....

dhgeyer
08-20-2010, 08:24 AM
That looks promising. If that's the expensive local store, what would more moderate pricing somewhere else be like? Mind you, this isn't going to happen this year. I used up my MC travel budget on my trans-USA trip in May.

Fish Baseball
08-22-2010, 12:08 AM
That looks promising. If that's the expensive local store, what would more moderate pricing somewhere else be like? Mind you, this isn't going to happen this year. I used up my MC travel budget on my trans-USA trip in May.

Well the more moderate priced place I know doesn't have a website, but I can tell you that hiring a cb250 comes in at $50 a day, plus fuel etc etc. Only problem with the cheaper place is the bikes tend to be a bit older and from the quick inspection I did Saturday have more than 50k on the clock.

Oddball
05-05-2012, 01:45 AM
I didn't read all of these, just the ones on the first page (I'm supposed to be shopping for gear, lol), but I had to shout out a thank-you to dhgeyer for the post on the first page. Very helpful. My parents ride, so my new hubby & I got into it (I've wanted to ride the last four years) and we finally got our '03 GZ today. I've got several jackets & a handful of pants I'm looking at, but right now I'm seeing about helmets.. Bouncing back and forth works for me, lol. But anyway. I've been debating on a regular full solid helmet, or a full helmet with a dual sliding visor. Full solid has SNELL approval; dual slider doesn't. Hmm..

Water Warrior 2
05-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Oddball, go to webbikeworld.com for a good evaluation of helmets on the market. Their testers are all riders and tell it like it is. Also check out what they say about riding gear too. You will be impressed.

alantf
05-05-2012, 04:14 AM
a dual sliding visor.

I've recently bought an LS2 with dual visor, & I'm really impressed. webbikeworld don't have a report on any of the LS2 range though. If you find one you like, don't order it without trying it on. Looking at the size printed on the helmet means nothing. They're all made to fit different shaped heads. :)

mole2
05-07-2012, 02:36 AM
The helmet must be DOT rated. SNELL is a nice extra but is not required. My personal recommendation is a full face modular. This has the benefit of being able to flip the chin piece up when you stop to drink a drink or to just cool yourself. It also allows you to sneeze, blow your nose, etc without removing the helmet. LOL As with the regular full face they also come with the flip down sun visor.

Water Warrior 2
05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
DOT approval is all you need. There has been a debate of sorts about Snell approved helmets. Apparently they work too well and in some cases can cause an injury upon impact. Stick with the DOT and trust it. A DOT approved full face helmet is still going to be the most effective injury prevent piece of gear on your body.

Rionna
05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I wear a full face modular helmet, and I wanted to go to the a 3/4 helmet for summer. It's lighter for the heat and probably much more comfortable than my full face modular helmet. However, I was out on a long ride yesterday, and all kinds of bugs were smashing into my wind visor. When I arrived, I had to clean off my visor and when I drove back home I had to clean it again. I can only imagine what my face would have looked like all bugged up had I not had the visor to catch the bugs. The same went for all the bugs I felt impacting my mesh jacket. Literally smacking my arms and my legs. Without the proper gear, I would have had bug juice and stingers everywhere. So, I've decided to continue wearing ATGATT. I choose not to be the "bug lady."

Rookie Rider
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I wear both a fullface and a half helmet. Mostly the half. With the fullface i cant turn my head enough too see behind me when switching lanes, and that is annoying. The half is so much easier to turn my head. I should really ALWAYS wear the full.

mrlmd1
05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I posted this before on here a few times, but for the newcomers, here it is again.

* The diagrams below show the impact areas on crash-involved motorcycle helmets. (Source: Dietmar Otte, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Abteilung Verkehrsunfallforschung, Germany.) Notice the significant crash impact in the chin-bar area. Utilizing an open face (3/4) helmet or a "shorty" (1/2) helmet limits the protection that could be available to your head

* The diagrams are referenced in, Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report, Hurt, H.H., Ouellet, J.V. and Thom, D.R., Traffic Safety Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90007, Contract No. DOT HS-5-01160, January 1981 (Final Report), a report on the causes and effects of motorcycle crashes and safe riding strategies. The same study is quoted in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider safety courses.
http://s12.postimage.org/dk745nmex/motorcycle_helmets_impact_areas.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/dk745nmex/)

There is nothing as good as a full face helmet for protection. You want to wear a 3/4 or shorty? Then don't complain when you leave your face on the road. Most of the impact during a crash occurs to the chin and lower face, not to the top of the head.

And never buy a helmet unless you try it on for fit first - each manufacturer has different shapes to fit all kinds of heads and the helmet has to fit snug to be effective.

Water Warrior 2
05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I wear both a fullface and a half helmet. Mostly the half. With the fullface i cant turn my head enough too see behind me when switching lanes, and that is annoying. The half is so much easier to turn my head. I should really ALWAYS wear the full.
Wear the FF and try dipping your head down a bit to see better. When I do that I naturally tilt my head too. It works.

mole2
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I wear a full face modular helmet, and I wanted to go to the a 3/4 helmet for summer. It's lighter for the heat and probably much more comfortable than my full face modular helmet. However, I was out on a long ride yesterday, and all kinds of bugs were smashing into my wind visor. When I arrived, I had to clean off my visor and when I drove back home I had to clean it again. I can only imagine what my face would have looked like all bugged up had I not had the visor to catch the bugs. The same went for all the bugs I felt impacting my mesh jacket. Literally smacking my arms and my legs. Without the proper gear, I would have had bug juice and stingers everywhere. So, I've decided to continue wearing ATGATT. I choose not to be the "bug lady."

My Vega 3/4 helmet has a flip up face shield. I only wear it when it gets unbearably hot during the summer and prefer my modular full face helmet.

burkbuilds
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, I'm gonna jump in here even though I'll probably get blasted for it.
I own and wear about every type of helmet out there. I've got full modular, down to "skullcaps". They all give you more protection than no helmet at all. I recently had a very bad accident from which I will be 6-9 months recovering. I broke lots of bones and tore ligaments and even managed a little road rash. I was wearing a small skullcap helmet which only came down to just above my ears. Even though I was slammed down on my right side and sandwiched between the bike and the pavement my head never hit the ground. As I slid across the asphalt I picked up a few scratch marks on the right side of the helmet but otherwise no damage to it. If I had not had the helmet on I think I would have gotten some really bad cuts, scrapes and road rash on my head and face and I might have even ripped my ear off. I'm glad I had the helmet on. Even though I was seriously injured, I did not sustain any injuries that might have endangered my life. No head trauma, no internal bleeding (well some bruises but nothing serious) and I did not damage any internal organs. The major injuries I received were due to impacts, first my leg was sandwiched between the bike and asphalt and finally I dropped about 4' into a ditch and landed on some big rocks which broke 5 ribs and shattered my shoulder blade.
How different would my injuries have been if I'd had a full helmet on, probably none, but only because of the way I went down. In a different type of spill the style of helmet might have made a big difference in the amount of damage done to my head and face. I don't know of any gear that would have saved the leg break with adjacent ligament damage and it's unlikely that much would have prevented the damage done to my ribs and shoulder although it is possible that some hard shell armor over thick padding might have saved me from the fractures, but the angle I landed on those rocks and the pinpoint pressure exerted by the pointy rocks makes me think it would not have helped much.
I'm not opposed to wearing protective gear, but I do think we do ourselves a disservice if we con ourselves into believing we are somehow safe or invincible because we are wearing protective gear or a high dollar helmet. Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. If you are in an accident you will probably be injured and if you are in a high impact collision all that gear and helmet will do is save the emergency crew a lot of time scraping up your body parts but you will still be dead in most cases. All I'm saying is this, don't think you won't be injured in an accident because you are ATGATT and that causes you to let your guard down or ride carelessly or recklessly. Your best protection is your brain, use it to avoid situations where you are most likely to be involved in an accident. Don't do things like drink and ride, speed excessively and do dumb stunts like wheelies on the interstate and weaving in and out of traffic. Keep your eyes open for vehicles approaching from side streets and keep your head on a swivel near intersections, and don't assume that just because you've driven a car without an accident for decades that you can just jump on a motorcycle without any further training and instruction and go riding all over the place. At the very least read some books on safe motorcycling and preferably attend some classes where they teach riding skills.

Once you've done all that realize that after you've done everything in your power to ride safely and be aware of dangers around you can still have a couple of dogs run out from a blind driveway and knock the front wheel out from under your bike and you'll go down, (that is what got me).

I plan to ride again, although it might be as long as a year before I'm physically able to handle two wheels again. I love to ride, and I realize the risks and I'm willing to take them even when I have to pay for it like I am now.

dentheman
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a open face helmet with faceshield and sun visor, yes the faceshield gets covered with bugs, hit by rocks, etc. But the thing that has me now looking for a modular helmet is that I keep feeling tiny invisible UFO's hitting my chin below the faceshield of the open face. (I am now spoiled by the sun visor and will never get a helmet without that feature.)

Also, my motorcycle jacket gets splattered with bugs to the point that I take it to the back yard and hose it off. Only a windshield will help that.

But this thread raises a question: Do full face or modular helmets REALLY GET HOT ENOUGH TO GO TO OPEN FACE in the Summer? If the bike is moving, doesn't the airflow through it keep it cool, and at a standstill, doesn't that thick layer of padding insulate from the heat? Maybe wearing a damp HeadSweats skullcap under the helmet would make a difference, I always wear mine under my open face helmet (dry when cool, moist when hot). Oh, I bought the white helmet to help reflect the sun's heat (and for visibility), maybe that would also make a difference with a full face helmet.

Water Warrior 2
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Well said BB. You are right about ATGATT too. It won't make anyone invincible to harm but it may well lesson the body damage. A few bruises or better than broken parts in my book.
Overall it is all about the personal choices we make. I used to get worried about a couple local riding buddies that wore a helmet only without any other moto specific gear. I had to force myself not to start preaching about safety and "what if" scenarios. I finally put myself in their position. Yup, comfy on hot days and no getting all dressed up like a power ranger to go for a ride. I would honestly like to have that option but I have a serious self-preservation instinct which has so far served me well over the years.
I have tested some forms of armor off road years ago and know armor works. I have yet to test anything on the street. I am grateful to my Guardian Angel for flying by my side every ride.
BB, hope your recovery goes well for you. It will be a long one from the sounds of it but I know you can and will endure the worst of it with flying colors. Take care.

Water Warrior 2
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Dentheman. I always wear a FF helmet. Yes they are a bit warm on a hot day but most have reasonable air vents for a bit of cooling. I have ridden in 90+ F temps and have never had sweat running down my face or neck. When in stop/go traffic the top of my heat gets a bit damp but that is all. Once moving I never really notice the heat, but I will notice a drop in temps more readily with the vents open.
Most helmets have removable washable liners if things get bad.
Lynda started out with a 3/4 helmet with a shield because a FF made her feel too boxed in. After seeing the diagram from the Doc about head injuries and the % in various areas she bought a modular and learned to love it. I wound up giving away Lynda's first helmet to a gal who needed something better than the junk she was wearing. Made her very happy.
Getting back to the heat subject. You have to cool your entire body to keep your core temp at a safe level. That is why I wear mesh and/or vented gear. If the core temp goes up you will cook your brain a bit in a helmet.
Oddly enough I am comfy with insulated WP riding boots with smart wool socks and leather gauntlets year round.

dentheman
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Dentheman. I always wear a FF helmet. Yes they are a bit warm on a hot day but most have reasonable air vents for a bit of cooling. I have ridden in 90+ F temps and have never had sweat running down my face or neck. When in stop/go traffic the top of my heat gets a bit damp but that is all. Once moving I never really notice the heat, but I will notice a drop in temps more readily with the vents open.
Most helmets have removable washable liners if things get bad.
Lynda started out with a 3/4 helmet with a shield because a FF made her feel too boxed in. After seeing the diagram from the Doc about head injuries and the % in various areas she bought a modular and learned to love it. I wound up giving away Lynda's first helmet to a gal who needed something better than the junk she was wearing. Made her very happy.
Getting back to the heat subject. You have to cool your entire body to keep your core temp at a safe level. That is why I wear mesh and/or vented gear. If the core temp goes up you will cook your brain a bit in a helmet.
Oddly enough I am comfy with insulated WP riding boots with smart wool socks and leather gauntlets year round.
I always wear helmet, earplugs, armored/padded gloves, and armored/padded mesh jacket; even on the hot days heat has not been much of a problem. I have also looked into the armored mesh 'long underwear' to go under jeans, but I haven't made a decision on that.

Concerning sweat running down face and neck: I had that problem when riding my bicycles, so I bought the HeadSweats which cured that problem. I find it works just as well under a motorcycle helmet, and the top of my head never gets damp from sweat when wearing it. I don't know how well it would work on a full head of hair.

greatmaul
05-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I have also looked into the armored mesh 'long underwear' to go under jeans, but I haven't made a decision on that.

I have some armored, er.. underwear, that I use when wearing regular pants. It's very easy to wear and I barely notice being hot. Mine are only shorts so I also wear motocross knee/shin pads.

I know it isn't as good as cordura riding pants, but those are, frankly, plastic and they get very hot in the sun.

Oh, and I've never tried using the modular open when riding. The vents are quite adequate, and when I stop at a light or something, I open the visor a half inch or so to get more air. Haven't had a problem, though the temps are only just getting to the 90's here. Dunno if I'll be singing the same tune when it's 110+ here for 10 days in a row like it usually gets.

dentheman
05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Another thought just occurred to me. I have some form fitting T shirts of moisture wicking material that I wore under my bicycle jerseys. They work by absorbing sweat, then moving it to the surface where it evaporates, causing the cooling. I know they will keep my core cooler under my mesh jacket than the cotton T shirts I have been wearing. In fact, if I moisten them first they feel downright cold when there is airflow.

mrlmd1
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
To keep cool - wear a perforated jacket and you can always try one of those evaporative vests (soak in water before you ride, lasts a few hours) or one of those chemical vests you put in the fridge for a while before you ride (forgot what you call them right now). Full face helmets are not any hotter than 3/4 - if your body is hot, your head is hot. Most of them have pretty good ventilation and you can always crack open the visor to increase airflow. The color of the outer shell makes very little difference in the internal temperature. IMO, the tradeoff in lack of protection to your face and chin is not worth the perceived difference in a "cooler" open face 3/4 helmet. What is comes down to is how much risk are you willing to assume, or do you try and get the best protection possible for this dangerous activity.
BB was just lucky in how he hit the ground - he could have done much more severe damage to himself. His helmet protected him where he impacted, and a few inches south it could have been a lot worse, and we're all glad it wasn't.

Water Warrior 2
05-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Just remembered an old trick I read about that some dirt riders have used in hot sweaty conditions. Never tried it myself but it probably worked for a while. If you have a particularly wet forehead you need something to soak up the moisture. A ladies panty liner stuck into the helmet at the forehead location is supposed to work. Anyone willing to try it and report back ??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

dentheman
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Just remembered an old trick I read about that some dirt riders have used in hot sweaty conditions. Never tried it myself but it probably worked for a while. If you have a particularly wet forehead you need something to soak up the moisture. A ladies panty liner stuck into the helmet at the forehead location is supposed to work. Anyone willing to try it and report back ??? :biggrin: :biggrin:
I think the armored underwear went far enough!

Water Warrior 2
05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I think the armored underwear went far enough!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PimpS
05-11-2012, 04:23 AM
If the hot head is a problem in the integral helmet, i advise you to get helmet like mine: Caberg Ego, It's getting hot in these parts (around 30 degrees celsius, and having my helmet open on the top, it's a real (h)air conditioner ;)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... review.htm (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-ego/review.htm)

Don't want to praise my good just cause i have it, but praise it, cause it's real 'cool' helmet to have on a geezer...

alantf
05-11-2012, 04:41 AM
[attachment=0:60kxx8mp]b59.jpg[/attachment:60kxx8mp] But the thing that has me now looking for a modular helmet is that I keep feeling tiny invisible UFO's hitting my chin below the faceshield of the open face. (I am now spoiled by the sun visor and will never get a helmet without that feature.)

I had this problem (not bugs, but rain) with my old Airoh helmet. My new LS2 has a much bigger face shield, that goes below the level of my chin. Totally agree about the sun visor.

dentheman
05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I figure that if bugs hit my chin, so could stones, etc.

Water Warrior 2
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I figure that if bugs hit my chin, so could stones, etc.
The pointy end of a humming bird would really leave a mark.

Caught a big wasp in the throat once, boy did that hurt for a while.