PDA

View Full Version : McCuff No Spill Motorcycle Fill System

New GZ250
08-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Just arrived in the mail today, here in California in most areas the gas nozzle has a boot on it to catch gas vapors to save our environment. Seems more than half the stations I can't get any gas in my tank. I can't get a proper fit with the vapor recovery boot on my tank, this is so for both my bikes. I have read good reviews about the mcCuff, going to give it a try and will get back to all. I just filled my tank today so I will report when I tank up. Hope it makes my life easier, plus it is suppose to protect from spill by over filling.

It was about $25.00 delivered, sales tax etc.

http://www.mccuff.com/

Easy Rider
08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Hope it makes my life easier, plus it is suppose to protect from spill by over filling.

I've seen quite a few reports on them and the reports seem to be about 50/50....love/hate.
I don't remember any that said ho-hum.
Not having any personal experience, I don't know what the difference IS causing the wide range of opinions.

As for not being able to get gas IN......I think most riders use a 2 handed approach; one holding the lever and the other pulling the boot back so that you can SEE what is going in. Somewhat awkward but it works.

alantf
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Shakes head wearily at things that can happen ONLY in America. EVERYWHERE else in the world seems to manage quite happily & successfully without this boot thingy. :??:

Water Warrior 2
08-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Don't know the exact dimensions but why do I want to try the upper portion of a bleach bottle to see if it works. $25 for a round piece of plastic is kinda silly.

New GZ250
08-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Don't know the exact dimensions but why do I want to try the upper portion of a bleach bottle to see if it works. $25 for a round piece of plastic is kinda silly.

Good idea, but a bleach bottle doesn't come with a carrying case that is top notch. Yes it's plastic, but if I can't pump "1" drop of gas at more than half the stations I have attempted to tank up at, it's worth $25.00 to me. If the McCuff wasn't available, I would of tried the McBleach or even the McWater Warrior. Might even use a McFunnel. Come to think about it a piece of plywood with a hole in it would work. McPlywood, basically you just need a hole to put that thing thru and start pumping, hole must be proper diameter though. :curse:

Please don't take my post too seriously, your idea of the bleach bottle was a good one! :2tup:

dentheman
08-20-2010, 01:09 AM
I had forgotten about the boots. In Texas we had those dang boots on all the nozzles back when they first came out, but I haven't seen one in years. I think most people didn't like them, so when the boots finally split or cracked they weren't replaced. At least around where I live. I must say that thing is expensive for what it is, IMO.

New GZ250
08-20-2010, 01:45 AM
I had forgotten about the boots. In Texas we had those dang boots on all the nozzles back when they first came out, but I haven't seen one in years. I think most people didn't like them, so when the boots finally split or cracked they weren't replaced. At least around where I live. I must say that thing is expensive for what it is, IMO.

Cheap at twice the price!
:tongue:

mrlmd1
08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Do you hide it under the seat? Is there enough room in there? Or is it in it's bag strapped to your bars so someone can swipe it, just 'cause they can?

New GZ250
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Do you hide it under the seat? Is there enough room in there? Or is it in its bag strapped to your bars so someone can swipe it, just 'cause they can?
McCuff comes with a "very" nice bag, it has a very strong velcro strap, I attached it on the frame (behind the side panel) just behind the seat on the side I gas up on. If you're not looking for it, I doubt it really is noticeable, kinda blends I don't think anyone will swipe, nor am I worried about it. Nobody has gotten into my saddle bags and borrowed anything permanently. Think it would fit under the seat if the tool bag was removed.

alanmcorcoran
08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
What Easy said... All you have to do is pull pack the vapor catcher and you can fill to the tippy top. I've been to 18 gas stations in 14 counties in the last six days and got gas in every one of them.

New GZ250
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
What Easy said... All you have to do is pull pack the vapor catcher and you can fill to the tippy top. I've been to 18 gas stations in 14 counties in the last six days and got gas in every one of them.

You are one smart biker! :fu:

Water Warrior 2
08-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Hey, I thought of something. Those fancy pantsy nozzles have to fit a red gas can don't they ? A small cheap gas can can be chopped up and the top used.

Sarris
08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Our nozzles in Florida have no rubber or vapor catcher or anything except the metal spout.

What exactly is the McCuff supposed to do? Looks kinda useless to me as I have no trouble filling up to top of the filler neck.

Hell, I never even get off the bike. I just pay attention not to soak my crotch with gas.

:??: :??: :??: :??:

dentheman
08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I am trying to visualize how the boots work ok on a car filler, but won't work on a motorcycle filler. Is it that the nozzle doesn't go far enough into the filler because the boot doesn't compress enough, or what? The nozzle does stick out from the end of the boot, so it should auto shut-off unless the boot is really keeping it from being inserted enough. If that is the problem, HOW DOES THIS NEW DEVICE FIX IT? It actually looks like it will add to the length of the boot! At this point I am pessimistic. Use it a few times and then let us know if it works as advertised.

EDIT: OK, I went back and watched the video and read the ad a couple times and see that the problem could be the nozzle going too far IN to the filler to completely fill the tank. But I still am not sure how this device helps.

Why did you give alan the bird?

alanmcorcoran
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
They work if you want about a gallon. Sometimes. The autoshutoff shuts off too soon and sometimes you can't get em started.

Easy Rider
08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Why did you give alan the bird?

I didn't understand that one either.

Some notes, all things we have discussed before.......for the benefit of noobs who may have missed it:

Filling right up to the tippy-top is NOT a good idea. With a California emissions system, it can plug up the vapor cannister and cost you lots of $$$$. Even on bikes without that, there needs to be a little expansion room at the top. Thankfully most bike tanks are idiot proof in that respect as there is no way you can defeat the slight bubble left in the top of the tank.

Secondly, except for crotchety old men, it is not a good idea to fill your gas tank WHILE ON THE BIKES SEAT. While chances of a fire many be really small........should it happen you would end up being a melted marshmello. Not pretty.

P.S. And we are still waiting on a report of how this little miracle device actually WORKS in use.
(or did I miss that post ??)

Water Warrior 2
08-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Yamaha sells a similar device for 19.95.

dentheman
08-22-2010, 12:17 AM
So does Harley Davidson for 19.95, called the "Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel". I also found it on Ebay. HD claims it prevents splashback and allows the tank to fill before nozzle shuts off. I didn't comprehend that from the McCuff website. I can see where it might be handy if splashback or incomplete filling are actual problems.

Water Warrior 2
08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
So does Harley Davidson for 19.95, called the "Fill-N-Go fuel tank funnel". I also found it on Ebay. HD claims it prevents splashback and allows the tank to fill before nozzle shuts off. I didn't comprehend that from the McCuff website. I can see where it might be handy if splashback or incomplete filling are actual problems.
I think it is just one of those things you never knew you needed until you were told. Sort of like a pet rock. Some one wants your money and that's all there is to it.

New GZ250
09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Best money I ever spent, filling my tank is a breeze, first click and the tank is full.

New GZ250
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
[quote="Water Warrior":1otv1uvm]Yamaha sells a similar device for 19.95.
I think it is just one of those things you never knew you needed until you were told. Sort of like a pet rock. Some one wants your money and that's all there is to it.[/quote:1otv1uvm]

You do not know what you are taking about unless you have used it.!

New GZ250
09-29-2010, 04:26 PM

You sound like a ballon head, 14 counties, if you want to fill your tank to the maximum with one click this product works. Sounds like you are not open to new ideas or new products. Why the F would you want to pull the boot back and have to look as the tank is filling so you do not over fill the tank and spill gas over your tank/bike. You have a closed mind. The product works and makes filling the tank simple.

I was hoping with my post that the forum members would say, looks like an interesting idea/product, please tell us how it works. It is a great product for a $25.00 piece of plastic. As many people on this forum you are not open to new ideas.

Keep lifting the boot my friend!
:fu:

Easy Rider
09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
You sound like a ballon head, 14 counties, if you want to fill your tank to the maximum with one click this product works.

So does LOOKING into the tank and that is FREE.

Speaking of baloon heads, what would you call a person who pays $25 for a 50 CENT piece of plastic ?? :cry:

I'm glad you like it but there is no reason to take shots at folks who rightfully point out that it is 100% unnecessary.

What the hell was it that got your panties all in a bunch all of a sudden ???? :??:

alanmcorcoran
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM

You sound like a ballon head, 14 counties, if you want to fill your tank to the maximum with one click this product works. Sounds like you are not open to new ideas or new products. Why the F would you want to pull the boot back and have to look as the tank is filling so you do not over fill the tank and spill gas over your tank/bike. You have a closed mind. The product works and makes filling the tank simple.

I was hoping with my post that the forum members would say, looks like an interesting idea/product, please tell us how it works. It is a great product for a $25.00 piece of plastic. As many people on this forum you are not open to new ideas.

Keep lifting the boot my friend!
:fu:

Well, good to know that GZ250 is back and demonstrating to the rest of us buffoons proper forum etiquette!! I don't suppose it's worth discussing, but spilling gas and/or filling my tank has never been an issue for me. I am glad you are happy with your device. My original comment was in response to your statement "I can't fill my gas tank" which, in retrospect, was probably hyperbole that I missed. My thanks, of course, was a middle finger...

alanmcorcoran
09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
You sound like a ballon head, :fu:

Is a balloonhead the same as an airhead? I'm not familiar with this slur. I always thought of myself as more of a douchebag, but, then again, I guess I should be more open to "new ideas."

Anyone else in California having trouble putting gas in their tank without spilling it all over the bike?

music man
09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Anyone else in California having trouble putting gas in their tank without spilling it all over the bike?

I only have one gas station that i have ever had a problem with, I have a friend that lives about 80 miles south of me, I go visit him every couple of months or so and i usually take my bike, this gas station i used to stop at that was on the way, the damn nozzles don't hold back the left over gas from the last person who used it very well, and I quit stopping there at all, because until you have rode 40-50 miles non stop then seen gas dripping down on your piping hot engine a few times, well... you just haven't lived.

Other than that I don't think i have ever spilled more than a drop or two the entire 5 years I have been riding, and I fill er' to the cap everytime.

And that little gadget of his wouldn't help at that gas station one bit, so I guess I don't need it.