PDA

View Full Version : different lights

emory70
08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
what experience do you folks have with aftermarket lighting? i wanna make a few changes... ok, i'll be honest, i wanna ditch everything but the headlight. i'll probably go with LEDs. of course there's nothing wrong with the factory lighting, but it's just FACTORY. i don't want to give up visibility, and i don't wanna make a bunch of brackets if i don't have to. wiring i'm not afraid of, i love that stuff.

Water Warrior 2
08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Check out the posting of the modified GZ with the wild rear fender and C-50 seat. The headlights might be what you want and the signals look good but I don't know how bright they are.

Viirin
08-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Careful what you stick on there - the gz doesn't have much power to play with - engine or voltage wise - but by all means mod away - its what makes your gz yours!

blaine
08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Careful what you stick on there - the gz doesn't have much power to play with - engine or voltage wise - but by all means mod away - its what makes your gz yours!

About 40 watts extra is the max. :cool:

emory70
08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
um, yeah, that's why i will run LEDs. i should be using much less power than stock.

Viirin
08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
oh right, sorry, - can you get a LED headlight that will suit?

Water Warrior 2
08-23-2010, 11:51 PM
oh right, sorry, - can you get a LED headlight that will suit?
I have seen LED driving lights that would do as a headlight but the price is probably muucch more than you would want to spend. A couple separate single element driving lights might work well for high and low beam. Maybe Google Hella and see what is there to interest you. They have a fair variety without breaking the bank. You could also look at Piaa but their prices are quite high.

rayzuki
08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Check out the posting of the modified GZ with the wild rear fender and C-50 seat. The headlights might be what you want and the signals look good but I don't know how bright they are.

I don't have a pic but they are bright. Real bright. The red one seem brighter that the orange ones. You will need a load equalizer if you switch to led.

Water Warrior 2
08-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I would not be trying to save watts with Led signals as they are only used for a short time. The C-50 OEM signals are bright and decent looking. Be careful using LED's for brake and tail light duty. Most LED's are a step down in brightness and visibilty unless you spend big bucks. If you want a big difference in brake light visibility look for Hyperlights with a built in flasher. Hit the brakes....5 flashes and steady on after that. They are LED's but very good quality and brightness. IIRC Californiasporttouring has them. Lynda has them on her M-50 and they are indeed an eye catcher. Wish I knew about them when I got the Vstrom.

emory70
08-25-2010, 06:49 PM
i'm not interested in "saving watts." i know that replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs will use less electricity. the only thing i am looking for is info about better looking lights that other people have tried on their geezers. also, as in my original post, i am NOT looking to replace my headlight.