PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shields

clarkperez
11-04-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi guys! newbie here...
this is my first time to join a forum... just want to ask some ideas, opinions, suggestions, etc on what should i put on my new bike for its heat shields. I don't want to feel the heat on my exhaust anymore, it bothers me. I do lots of searching now and I found this site that has a lot of these heat shield stuff but i don't know what should be the right thing to buy.
Should i buy this exhaust pipe heat shields (http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-heat-shields-and-insulation/c14669j1s17.jcwx), muffler packing, exhaust insulating wrap, or steel wool wraps? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

johnym
11-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Pipe heat shields, muffler packing and the rest works fine. :) I think it will fall on the problem that you are solving. most of them works and it's all up to your own arsenal.

Easy Rider
11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Should i buy this exhaust pipe , muffler packing, exhaust insulating wrap, or steel wool wraps? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Before giving any detailed advice, we need to know more......like what is your starting point and why you think you need to do anything. Most of the heat a GZ rider gets is from the engine and not the pipes.

I think you are the first one we have seen to complain about heat from the exhaust.
Do you have the stock pipes and heat shields in place ??

In general, heat shields are good but "muffler packing" is for an entirely different purpose and insulating muffler wraps tend to cook the pipes underneath and make them fail sooner.

alantf
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Most of the heat a GZ rider gets is from the engine and not the pipes.

:plus1:

Water Warrior 2
11-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Radiating heat is more notieable if you are wearing jeans rather than riding pants. Might be part of the situation. The GZ doesn't really generate a lot of heat compared to many other bikes. Sitting on a water cooled larger V-twin is an experience to remember when the cooling fan kicks on. Being from the far south you probably ride in jeans primarily so just live with it, part of the riding experience.

alanmcorcoran
11-05-2010, 05:03 AM
The pipes do get hot enough to burn you as you head you farther back to the rear of the bike (back from where your ankles would normally be.) perhaps this is a very tall rider or a rider that is using the rear pegs in more of a "sport" position?

b1pig
11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
this is just an opinion....

engines generate heat. an air cooled engine disipates heat into the air. since the engine is between your knees.... you're gonna feel it. the GZ is a naked bike with no form of cowling or duct to direct airflow... and doing so it likely going to affect the cooling of the engine.

i agree that is most likely the heat from the engine itself you're feeling. on two motorcycles that i've had that were naked bikes, i just had to deal with it.... so i did.